Justice League

toonfool

Well, this was an interesting curio. Way too long, but the cyborg stuff was good. Not enough Supes. Weird epilogue. Leto was a pleasant (albeit brief) surprise.

Doubt I'll watch again.

4 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Technically it's 1.37:1. Snyder has apparently become a fan of the format since shooting IMAX scenes for BvS. There's more about it here.

Thanks for that link. Interesting read. I’m not sure why I was so shocked by the notion really. I dabble in photography and mess with all kinds of ratios and this is no different I suppose. 

Black and white versions are getting a bit fashionable though aren’t they? I’m not sure on this trend really. If something should be black and white film it that way as you have to look at light and colour in a completely different manner. It must create so much more post processing stuff to do in a film. 

I'm cringing to fuck yet smiling as well. One minute it's like some Norwegian Eurovision fish song entry that's making me feel uncomfortable on the couch the next minute Wonder Women is doing some pretty bad ass chopsocky bangle action in a bank.

He's all over the place this Sack Snider. Some seriously to the moon cringe, yet some very good action scenes, when I can see them through my fingers that is.

It's "better" than the original - because they've expanded to fill the time, given people subplots and fleshed out - which address some of the key problems with the original but introduces a host more.

But it's now a bad story told fuller over 4 hours than a disjoined bad story told in 2 hours.

But it's turgid and generally joyless (although there are moments). The characters all feel different from the last film (or own film). It's still telling a FUCKING 4 HOUR STORY as DC hadn't done any ground work - but they also feel consistent within this film at least, without Whedonisms shoehorned in. You could change the order of most of the first 1.5-2 hours without affecting anything as it's basically a series of introductory solo stories intercut - although Cyborg and Flash get some needed depth.

Everything is CGI (and reduced budget didn't help for newer bit but the terirble CGI is still here from the original. And it'a CGI fest) and weightless (Amplified by slow mo ironically) making fights pointless. The best comparison is WW's early fight against the robbers

compared that to the fight in the White House in 1984. They just feel different (compare the leg sweep for instance) even though they're showing the same basic fight.

You could also make it a 3 hour film by cutting out the chuffing slowmo. e.g. After they win (spoilers) there's a nearly 1min30 slowmo group shot at they stand and look out to the world.. Probably a 2.5 hour film if you knocked out all the bits that are solely there for a sequel.

So yeah it's a better, but far too long, version of bad movie. I'm not sure who it's for. The die hard fans already though Justice League was unfairly maligned, and they'll love this. I can't see it converting anyone else though.

Its not going to redeen the movie - if people that will enjoy will have turn from "meh" to "that was alright".

We're going to see a JL2 campaign for sure.

So the Snyder Cut....

This is just a bit of a small review as it's late and I don't have time to process that all into a proper review.

What I will say right now is it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting at all and parts of it I actually found really enjoyable, specifically the final act, which is much better than what Whedon did . It also does a huge service to Cyborg and The Flash, they both feel integral and fleshed out unlike in Whedons version, I can completely see why Ray Fisher felt fucked over on top of all the other bullshit he went through. Steppenwolf also feels way more fleshed out and threatening too. Aquaman is a little left out though.

Very rough CGI in parts (mainly the first half), some of the dialogue is really bad, way too much use of slow mo (ever character introduced gets a slow mo moment), takes too long to get going, and even though I honestly didn't feel like the 4 hours dragged, it didn't need to be that long. I think this was intended to be 2 films, the end of Part 3 feels like a perfect breaking point, however had Synder released in two parts, it would have got slammed, as the first couple of hours are a slow build up for the team.

Overall quite enjoyable, not the masterpiece I'm sure many will proclaim it to be, but an enjoyable enough romp. 

It's done it's job in me wanting to see the sequel and potentially a side Batman project too.

3/5

Just finished this. Initial impressions... Really fucking enjoyed this. It's so much better than the other one. At no point did I want it to hurry up and in no way did it feel like 4 hours. 

I was not expecting that. So, there you go. A really good superhero romp. 

I decided to turn it off at the end of part four when I saw there was still an hour and a half left, I’ll watch the rest tomorrow. 

I really like this version of The Flash. cyborg has more back story but he’s so grumpy and boring. Gal Gadot makes really silly faces in her slow motion bits. Wonder Woman has the “why don’t people realise Superman is Clark Kent” problem worse that Superman ever has, it’s completely unbelievable she could have a “secret” identity. Batman feels like a spare part. Steppenwolf looks completely stupid.

It’s still Snyder’s best DC movie by a mile so far. It’s got a tone and message that is actually appropriate for a super hero movie, though it’s still way too violent. I’m tired now, can’t believe how long it is.

9 hours ago, Hexx said:

You could change the order of most of the first 1.5-2 hours without affecting anything as it's basically a series of introductory solo stories intercut - although Cyborg and Flash get some needed depth.

Right, yes, that's what I was trying to articulate on the previous page. The first hour and a half or so feels like clips from four different films, all of which are ok in isolation, but which have been cut together in a slightly disjointed order. The second half feels like a single film, albeit one which I found overly CGI battle-heavy. And then there's a five-minute scene at the end which is like it's from a third film and actually looks like it would be amazing.

I really liked the Chronicles of Riddick aesthetic of Darkside and his cronies, that was fun. I ended up wishing there'd been more of them and less of Steppenwolf - although in fairness, he actually had a reasonably clear motivation, rather than just I Will Fire This Laser Into The Sky In The Final Act of the Film. There were a few scenes which really made him seem like quite a pathetic figure.

44 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

My body is ready. Hold me against thy bosom Lord Snyder, and deliver thy jl nectar. 

I'll be back here to post how I probably liked it, then read about why I shouldn't.

If you’re expecting beret wearing thinkpieces by the Whedon defence force...you might be waiting a while.

1 hour ago, PK said:

Right, yes, that's what I was trying to articulate on the previous page. The first hour and a half or so feels like clips from four different films, all of which are ok in isolation, but cut together in a slightly disjointed order. The second half feels like a single film, albeit one which I found overly CGI battle-heavy. And then there's a five-minute scene at the end which is like it's from a third film and actually looks like it would be amazing.

Both Wonder Woman and Aquaman’s second scenes feel more like introductions than their first ones.

7 minutes ago, Broker said:

Both Wonder Woman and Aquaman’s second scenes feel more like introductions than their first ones.

Aquamans specifically. Feels like his intro and meeting with Wayne were the wrong way round.

It'll be interesting to see what the movie 'fan edit' community make of this, there's a much tighter and still coherent two and a half hour film in here..

Another bit that bugged was 

Spoiler

Cyborg can hack/communicate with everything, including Bruce’s Battoys, but the team need to go to the Batcave to use a Batsatellite to look for heat.

One other annoyance for me was the over use of that chanting everytime an Amazonian or WW were on screen.

Slow mo, chanting. Urrrrrgh.

WW has the best tune out the lot and whilst I appreciate using it sparingly, it was needed again in the final battle, it's there to be used when she's kicking arse, but we just got that chanting again. 

This may be an Aqua man thing but I thought it was quite funny when Willem Dafoe told him to take up his mother’s trident then handed him something with five points on the end.

10 hours ago, robotattack said:

Technically it's 1.37:1. Snyder has apparently become a fan of the format since shooting IMAX scenes for BvS. There's more about it here.

Not sure if the released film is slightly different, but the trailer on YouTube is 4:3 or 1.33:1 (see the YouTube Stats For Nerds screenshot I posted earlier), not the 1.37:1 Academy ratio.

IMDb also says it's 1.33:1 (though of course that's fan-contributed so could be wrong): 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12361974/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

I'm an hour in, and I'm not seeing much difference to the original, bar so much slo-mo that this first hour could have been done in 20 minutes and shiny Steppenwolf.

Admitedly I've not watched the original version since I saw it in the cinema.

Actually

Spoiler

Was Darkseid in the flashback battle scene with the Green Lanterns last time around- it feels longer (and I was going to say better until they put him in the ship and he passed out and looked really stupid)

I’m going to watch this tonight.

The only feedback I don’t like is that Batman feeling like a side character. As long as he isn’t a joke like the original JL, thats fine I guess.

On a side note, I really enjoyed Aquaman on Prime. It’s got some of my fav actors in it and Willem Defoe isn’t a bad guy for a change...

Parts five and six are quite good, especially five. The pacing is way better than the theatrical version and I think it’s genuinely the best Snyder’s Superman has ever been. 

The ending though:

Spoiler

There must have been a better way to organise that, it’s the Return of the King but with endless sequel teases. Battle ends, Darkseid teaser, series of epilogues often implying more story to come, Luthor/Deathstroke teaser, long dream sequence for cool looking sequel we’ll never get (though with the similarities between teasers and trailers it’s probably worth remembering how much better Snyder is at advertising than delivering), awkward Martian Manhunter scene which reminds us about Darkseid because it’s been fifteen minutes since that ending. Like the beginning, it feels a bit randomly stuck together, probably could have done with one of the scenes after the credits.

I’m also confused as to what the imagined sequel would be? Is it the movie where Luthor and Deathstroke go after Batman? Or the movie where Darkseid invades? Or the post apocalypse road trip movie with evil Superman as the villain? I guess maybe the Luthor bit would’ve linked into Affleck’s Batman movie that never got made. 

Leto was pretty decent in his scene though. 

1 minute ago, probotector said:

I’m going to watch this tonight.

The only feedback I don’t like is that Batman feeling like a side character. As long as he isn’t a joke like the original JL, thats fine I guess

It’s similar to the theatrical cut, he’s very important to getting them together but then they bump into the problem that he’s not strong enough to fight alongside the others.

He’s much more integral and well used in parts 5 and 6, which I hadn’t watched yet when I wrote that.

Honestly I think you’re going to absolutely love it. It’s got everything good about Snyder’s work in huge quantities and some stuff that I don’t think he’s ever really pulled off before delivered well. The tone works way better as it’s all consistent. It’s easily his best movie, even better than the talking owls one (I know that sounds like a joke but I actually really enjoyed the talking owl movie).

11 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Heads up to anyone who has Sky, it’s available on Sky Cinema this morning.

It's on NowTV now (or Now now as they're going through a rebranding process). Runtime is 3h 52m. There's no intro from Snyder. Has anything else been cut?

Edit: Not 3:52. That would be one hell of an edit. :facepalm: