Justice League

2 minutes ago, probotector said:

Wonder if Whedon will survive this

Hopefully not, he seemed to be getting away with it the last time. I was shocked when he turned up on that directors roundtable for Infinity War. I thought he was done.

He is now.

32 minutes ago, probotector said:

Wonder if Whedon will survive this

27 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Hopefully not, he seemed to be getting away with it the last time. I was shocked when he turned up on that directors roundtable for Infinity War. I thought he was done.

He is now.

It seems like this is the, ahem, Endgame for Joss now. Fired from his own TV show and nothing else in the pipeline. 

As a fan of his work I'm sad but a lot of the stuff coming out doesn't massively surprise me - there have long been rumours certainly about the Buffy set. It certainly disappoints me. 

As people have said, it is clear that Joss has talent, just a shame he also seems to be a dickhead. I could waive away the affairs - never thought they were anyone's business but him and his wife, but not the latest stuff. 

Bloody hell. I had no idea. :(

I always thought Whedon came across as a good guy. Clearly not, and it's actually really disturbing that he clearly shook up these people so much that they felt they couldn't come forward until now. What a dick.

I guess I won't be rewatching Buffy for a while.

Just now, probotector said:

One thing I’ve realised is, if a man says he’s a feminist, that’s a blatant red flag that they’re up to something 

I used constantly say to a mate that it was weird Whedon had heroines in all his shows. And only got weirder as he got older.

Just now, probotector said:

You will be in a month.

Celebrate! 

Not a chance, not even morbid curiousity could make me bother. Like, I couldn't even be bothered with a yarred version. 

4 minutes ago, drmick said:

Nobody is actually causing Whedon of anything other than being a bully I've noticed. Even Trachtenberg's comment seems deliberately ambiguous.

That's not exactly great man. Bullying loads of young women on shows.

19 hours ago, Festoon said:

That's not exactly great man. Bullying loads of young women on shows.

Yeah, but if I turn into a masked vigilante who kills those that have done the most harm to people on this planet I would not live long enough to get that far down the list to where Whedon's name currently sits!

And given the state of the planet currently, and the genuine suffering that is going on, I don't have that much sympathy for a person complaining about their horrible boss who has presumably been partly responsible for their comparative good fortune.

2 hours ago, drmick said:

Yeah, but if I turn into a masked vigilante who kills those that have done the most harm to people on this planet I would not live long enough to get that far down the list to where Whedon's name currently sits!

And given the state of the planet currently, and the genuine suffering that is going on, I don't have that much sympathy for a person complaining about their horrible boss who has presumably been partly responsible for their comparative good fortune.

They were asking for it, dressed like that.

3 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Yes everybody should just keep quiet about these things right now. We can’t have these widely backed up allegations of misconduct by people in power, especially when they maybe have attributed somewhat to one’s success. 

What an absolutely clueless moron you are :lol:

I stand corrected- hopefully the moderators will not be too punitive with my punishment.

Does anyone remember a comic where someone protesting about something "trivial" like inequality gets told off for complaining when there are worse things out there like starving kids, and things gets progressively wise until the final panel is set in Hell or something like that?

EDIT: Found it. https://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2314#comic (and the bad argument that I was thinking of is called the fallacy of relative privation).

In a later re-editing of her initial post, Trachtenberg added: “The last. Comment I will make on this. Was. There was a rule. Saying. He’s not allowed in a room alone with Michelle again.” 

Its all pretty terrible really. 

Although what on earth is Trachtenberg trying to do to the English language? Is this how the 'kids' are writing these days? 

4 hours ago, K said:

I would guess it was probably written on an iPhone, in a hurry, and she pressed the space bar twice by accident a few times. 

4 hours ago, Haribokart said:

She’s 35.

Yeah, I honestly wasn't sure whether it was due to typing on a phone or done deliberately as some kind of way to emphasise her statement. 

On 10/02/2021 at 23:06, IcEBuRN said:

Well fuck me. It's all coming out now.

Please don't say Lucas or Spielberg is next.

There's already been rumours about Spielberg, I can't recall if anyone has gone public with anything though. 

On 10/02/2021 at 23:12, drmick said:

Nobody is actually causing Whedon of anything other than being a bully I've noticed. Even Trachtenberg's comment seems deliberately ambiguous.

It's been alleged that he was having affairs with people from Buffy onwards, this is another layer of alleged abusive behaviour on top of that. 

8 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

There's already been rumours about Spielberg, I can't recall if anyone has gone public with anything though. 

Lucas was a bit fucking weird about Marion in Raiders

Recently, a transcript has surfaced of the story conference between George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan, in which they hammer out the ideas for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. At 126 pages, there’s much to digest, but some may find this bit of dialog a bit hard to swallow, as the trio discusses Indy’s love interest. (G is Lucas, S, Spielberg and L, Kasdan.

G — I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

L — And he was forty-two.

G — He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

S — She had better be older than twenty-two.

G — He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

S — And promiscuous. She came onto him.

G — Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it’s an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she’s sixteen or seventeen it’s not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he…

S — She has pictures of him.

One thing that springs to mind is that this is a bit like the relationship between Carol (14 year old Mackenzie Phillips) and John Milner (Paul Le Mat) who goes on a drag race against Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford) in Lucas’s AMERICAN GRAFFITI, so this idea must have had some appeal to Lucas.

Same sort of theme crops up in the Phantom Menace, -ish.

52 minutes ago, PK said:

Lucas was a bit fucking weird about Marion in Raiders

Same sort of theme crops up in the Phantom Menace, -ish.

It's a bit weird that he suggested 11! But I don't think creatives batting around ideas for stories that they would find interesting is necessarily suggestive of anything darker. Especially when they get ultimately rejected. 

“Casually cruel” is a perfect way of describing Joss,” Molina said on Twtter, quoting prior remarks from actress Charisma Carpenter. “He thought being mean was funny. Making female writers cry during a notes session was especially hysterical. He actually liked to boast about the time he made one writer cry twice in one meeting.” Molina ended his tweet with the hashtag #IStandWithCharismaCarpenter

Basically, and it could be much worse, but it is pretty clear that Whedon is just a mean shit. How ironic that on Buffy we had the character of Jonathan who was picked on in school before becoming a massive jerk when he got a hint of power. Quite an apt characterisation of Whedon it seems. 

It all reminds me of this about the first Avengers movie which I always thought painted Joss in a fairly unpleasant light and probably made him not very fun to work for. 

Case in point: While working on a scene where Iron Man's armor shorts out, one of the previsualization guys said, "He should have a line here, something like, 'I'm getting too old for this shit.'" Whedon stopped short. "OK, we're going into a time machine," he said. "Three minutes earlier, you did not just tell me where a line goes. And it was not 'I'm getting too old for this shit.' That never happened. Let's move on."