Justice League

His dad is supposed to die of a heart attack to teach him that he’s not all powerful and can’t save everyone.

Kevin Costner had his own thing going on. He was the protagonist of some other movie Zack Snyder will let us all in on one day. That man wanted to die.

10 minutes ago, Jimmyzilla said:

There's even a scene after the school bus scene with Pa Kent and Clark talking about the ramifications of his powers...

That doesn't explain why Clark doesn't save his dad, seeing as he explicitly says that he didn't agree with his dad's opinion, like, 30 seconds before the tornado struck.

3 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

His dad is supposed to die of a heart attack to teach him that he’s not all powerful and can’t save everyone.

Kevin Costner had his own thing going on. He was the protagonist  of some other movie Zack Snyder will let us all in on one day. That man wanted to die.

I kinda feel like it's got to be a slower story or that has to happen later on for the lesson to count as much story wise...

2 minutes ago, Delargey said:

That doesn't explain why Clark doesn't save his dad, seeing as he explicitly says that he didn't agree with his dad's opinion, like, 30 seconds before the tornado struck.

He explicitly says to Lois that he didn't agree and it's all been to hide his abilities.  It's a pretty strong theme throughout...

But if he didn't *even* agree that he should hide his power, why would he stand there and let his father die?

Like, he passionately argued that the right thing to do is using these powers to help people, then 30 seconds later, he sees father in a life threatening situation, and believing that he should use these powers, does nothing to save his dad. 

It doesn't make sense to me. I haven't seen the movie since the cinema so maybe I'm forgetting something important.

It is super heavy handed that he's wrestling with his powers and what to do with them in MoS, I've just got to the scene where he randomly talks to a priest to ask if he should turn himself in to ZOD!!!

Ahh all these things that just connected for me, I feel like there would be such a void watching this film without them...and considering BvS continues on with the intro during the final battle.  I get why people don't like the Snyderverse but for me, it just works and I can't wait for VDZS's cut (Joss Whedon's JL might as well have been a standalone movie)!

I’m glad people enjoy them. I really wish they didn’t exist, because I think it’s unlikely I’ll ever see another Superman movie that I like and he’s one of my favourite characters, but at least someone is enjoying them. 

8 hours ago, cassidy said:

Just make All Star Superman and we’re golden is the answer. 

We can dream.

i read somewhere, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and I think it was Marv Wolfman were all pitching ideas for movies in a shared universe to Warner Bros, but for whatever reason, they rejected them all.

Just think how good that could have been, there’s probably no-one in the world with more knowledge of the DC universe than those three guys.

10 hours ago, cassidy said:

Just make All Star Superman and we’re golden is the answer. 

The word "just" is doing a lot of heavy lifting!

All-Star Superman is brilliant but I don't think its strengths really match what a live-action Superman movie would need to be. I know that an animated adaptation of it has been made, but it's one of the DC straight-to-DVD movies I've never seen.

You could adapt the comic's spirit, or individual moments, and I'd love to see that. (Maybe the Superman and Lois TV series will try it?) But there's lots in there that only works as well as it does because it's in the format of a comic.

There is an overarching structure to the series, but for the most part the issues are quite self-contained, and the range of adventures in those twelve issues is part of the appeal. I'm not sure how you adapt that into 140 minutes without inviting criticism as being too "episodic" (which is something people really seem to hate in movies).

For me a big part of what I love about the comic comes from things like the issue where Superman is showing Lois round the Fortress, using matter-of-fact throwaway lines to imply grand Silver Age adventures. A film could have him say similar things about his off-screen adventures, but even if (unlike both the Reeve and Cavill films) it established a version of Superman who routinely goes on cosmic adventures in space, it's hard for me to imagine it working as well as it does on the page.

There's the issue where Clark is interviewing Lex Luthor as he escapes from prison, saving his life while maintaining his secret identity. You'd need someone really gifted at physical comedy to recreate what's great about that issue on film!

Just now, Commander Jameson said:

Don't know if this is genuine.

Yeah it is. Leaked early apparently. Looks better than the movie we got, but it’s Snyder so I can’t get excited at all. 

I'm assuming that was supposed to be Darkseid in the trailer? He lacks everything design wise from the comics. He's just a big grey CG lump. Compare that mess to Thanos who both looked real and as comic accurate as they could get without becoming silly.

EDIT: And the trailer is gone.

On 20/08/2020 at 17:29, Jimmyzilla said:

Haha I'm like that with a lot of reboots but I dunno, I liked where Synder took things, especially in an MCU dominated world

the bins round the back of Iceland?

I mean if you watch it in 4 weekly instalments thats fine.

It looks like a completely different movie. He must have had so much filmed before he left the project.

Still looks like a CGI, colourless mess but I'm intrigued.