Justice League

You know that we're truly living in the shitty timeline when the thought of Zack Snyder improving anything is championed by any functioning human. 

I mean, I'll obviously lap up more of this nonsense and regret it after, because I never learn. 

Why does everybody always have to make everything so tribal? I'm not a DC fan by any stretch but I do quite enjoy superhero films in general, so I'm moderately interested to see how it differs from the theatrical cut.

It’s not about Marvel/DC it’s about Zack Snyder being a godawful filmmaker and people wondering why the fuck anyone wants to see more of his dirge.

"I'm sorry sir, it seems the fish we used to make your dinner is rotten. We have cut out the more conspicuously mouldy bits and pared it down to only the stuff that won't make you vomit."

"This is disgusting and I hate it. You've ruined this."

"Well, we could get the mouldy bits back out of the trash, and also the head, tail, guts and skeleton that you were never going to eat, and feed you those as well."

"Sounds delicious. Here's thirty million US dollars."

It is somewhat ironic that this gets $30m for a recut which is enough by itself to give to someone to make a properly good original film.

Oh well. 

I don't follow why this is being released as a six part TV series next year requiring $30m, rather than a film now.

Was #releasethesnydercut about releasing an already-existing but shitcanned grimdark cut of the film, or letting Snyder make a grimdark cut and then releasing that? I assumed it was the former.

There is no existing-but-shitcanned cut. There's a four hour assembly cut, which is a stage most two-hour movies go through. Once you finish shooting the movie, you literally take all of the actual film you have, some placeholder stuff, and whatever versions of effects shots are already done, and splice them together in to a rough cut of the movie. You use it to figure out if you need to shoot anything else, and to start to figure out what you can get rid of immediately before you waste money doing the special effects, music etc. on it.

On this movie, that's the stage where Whedon had to step in to the director's chair. The remaining work cost an estimated $25m.

So Snyder is basically stepping back in at the stage he originally left the movie, and spending slightly more money than Whedon did finishing it off his way. He'll do his own edit. They'll finish any scenes that didn't get their special effects and music done in Whedon's pass, or which Snyder wants done differently. And, in principle, they would be doing reshoots to get anything that they've realised they need but didn't get the first time around or in Whedon's reshoots. The way this has been phrased makes me think that they'll actually only be doing new dialogue, probably dubbing over existing scenes or having voiceovers for new purely-CGI scenes.

The reason it's going to be four hours long has nothing to do with the length of a "Snyder cut" which already exists, it's just ego. He boastfully showed off the film cans for his "four hour cut" to fans ages ago and didn't bother to correct them when they assumed that would be the run time. He can hardly own up to the fact now, and he has no idea what to cut out of his movies anyway.

Thanks! I always assumed they'd got to the test audience stage with a full cut of the film and then had to try and Marvel it up as much as possible with reshoots.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Zack Snyder isn't a very good director.

Justice League isn't a very good movie.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Three wrongs, if you count the constant online nagging, hassling and pestering from advocates of #ReleaseTheSnyderCut.

(Yes, yes, I know they sold t-shirts for charity too.)

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Three wrongs, if you count the constant online nagging, hassling and pestering from advocates of #ReleaseTheSnyderCut.

(Yes, yes, I know they sold t-shirts for charity too.)

I was reading about some of that yesterday and some of the hassling and trolling was really, really bad. It was very toxic in some instances.

3 hours ago, PK said:

Thanks! I always assumed they'd got to the test audience stage with a full cut of the film and then had to try and Marvel it up as much as possible with reshoots.

I think the producers saw the assembly cut and called it unwatchable so it definitely got some kind of (possibly not very helpful) external feedback.

I can't wait to see this. It's going to be one of the defining TV moments of the epidemic - something disastrously awful and awesomely expensive, that only got to see the light of day due to a dreadful, once-a-century event. It's going to be unmissable for all the wrong reasons. Popcorn on standby.

On 21/05/2020 at 14:43, Harsin said:

It’s not about Marvel/DC it’s about Zack Snyder being a godawful filmmaker and people wondering why the fuck anyone wants to see more of his dirge.

Quoting this for truth. 

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I think the producers saw the assembly cut and called it unwatchable so it definitely got some kind of (possibly not very helpful) external feedback.

Probably the same producers who gave BvS: DoJ a standing ovation, to be fair.

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Probably the same producers who gave BvS: DoJ a standing ovation, to be fair.

Yeah, I doubt their reasoning went much beyond “well, this is like/unlike huge thing from last year”.

Poor old Snyder, he don’t half get a hard ride on here.

I would rate 2 of his films as 4/5 and one at 5/5

I think I’m going to set up a fan club for him. 

47 minutes ago, sandman said:

Poor old Snyder, he don’t half get a hard ride on here.

I would rate 2 of his films as 4/5 and one at 5/5

I think I’m going to set up a fan club for him. 

Lol

To think Captain Sparklefingers aka Shazam! cost around a $90 million and will better than whatever version is rolled out, as that film was something this will never be, fun!!!

Justice League Original Version is going up on Netflix next week.

If there's one good thing I can say about the film is they finally turned Superman into a heroic figure. I can't wait for Snyder to turn him back into a grimdark, neck snapping psycho.

On 22/05/2020 at 10:54, Doctor Shark said:

I was reading about some of that yesterday and some of the hassling and trolling was really, really bad. It was very toxic in some instances.

Shocking that people who like Zach Snyder films could turn out to be arseholes.