rllmuk
toonfool

Justice League

It's the same thing as always; younger or relatively immature fans mistaking grimdark juvenile emo stuff for mature and intellectual. While in reality it's incredibly childish and superficial. See also: the 90s grimdark era in superhero comics which I lived through while being a stupid teen.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Snyder Cut stuff still going. With Jason Momoa, Gal Gadot, Ben Affleck, Ray Fisher and Dave Bautista now among those calling for its release.

It's going to be released, isn't it?

You would think so.  It seems part of an organised campaign which must have been given the implicit wink and nod from WB (or even organised directly by the WB). 

Regardless of Affleck's current status, it is hard to see Gadot, Fisher and Momoa backing this type of campaign when all three of them probably have future projects with the WB in the pipeline. If the WB do not want to release this cut I cannot imagine three of its biggest stars would think it was a good idea to antagonise their current and future employers in this way. 

This looks like it has all the trappings of an organised PR move followed by WB 'giving in' to huge public demand and releasing this mystical cut.  This story is now on the BBC which would never have happened if the actors had not been involved. 

As for the BBC article, god its depressing to see the BBC produce such rubbish:

There is no official word from Warner Bros yet - and fan George Fazakerley, who we met buying the latest Justice League comic in London, doesn't think we're going to get the cut anytime soon.

"There's been a lot of controversy, they've re-cast several of the big actors," George told Newsbeat.

Since the last Justice League Ben Affleck has left the cast and Robert Pattinson is set to take over in new film The Batman.

"The impression they seem to be giving is that they want us to move on and start afresh."

George says a lot of the DC community online think releasing the Snyder cut would turn Justice League into the "next Infinity War" - one of the Marvel Avengers films -but he's not so sure.

"That's optimistic, but I do think it would improve it."

Who the fuck cares what fan George, found buying a comic book, has to say on anything. The BBC are treating him like some key WB insider. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50456802

• Upvote 3

It's just their usual vox pop really. Hardly presenting him as an insider. They literally say they met him while buying comics.

Going back to the timing of Gadot's and Affleck's tweets, I agree that this has an air of orchestration about it. Will be interesting to see if Cavill does the same. I always got the impression that he prefers Whedon's approach to Superman.

2 minutes ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

It's just their usual vox pop really. Hardly presenting him as an insider. They literally say they met him while buying comics.

Maybe not, but devoting four paragraphs to him suggests some kind of importance not befitting someone who is literally only quoted because he was about to pay a fiver for a comic book. Christ knows why the BBC felt this person's opinion was in any way worthwhile featuring. And why did the BBC waste time sending a reporter to a comic book shop in response to a couple of tweets anyway. 

3 hours ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

be interesting to see if Cavill does the same. I always got the impression that he prefers Whedon's approach to Superman.

As does anyone who has even the faintest understanding of the Superman character. The few moments you get Superman in Justice League felt more Superman-y than anything in the two previous movies.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

We don't have a general DC movie news thread, so I'll post this here instead of bumping each film's individual thread:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dc-comics-superman-michael-b-jordan-green-lantern-aquaman-birds-of-prey-1203415757/

Handy bullet-point summary via Birth Movies Death:

• While several scenes in Matt Reeves' The Batman are due to take place at Arkham Asylum, the rumors that the entire film would take place within that location are allegedly untrue.
  • Warner Bros. has discussed the future of Superman with JJ Abrams.
  • As previously reported, discussions took place between WB and Michael B. Jordan about the actor taking over the role of Superman. What we didn't know at the time is that Jordan apparently called this meeting himself. Nothing came of the situation when it became clear that WB wouldn't be ready to make a new Superman movie for several years.
  • Both Cathy Yan's Birds of Prey and James Gunn's The Suicide Squad are expected to be rated R.
  • Speaking of Birds of Prey, a recent round of reshoots resulted in the film's test screening scores going way up, and WB is now convinced it has a hit on its hands.
  • Geoff Johns will deliver a script for Green Lantern Corps by the end of the year. The project "may be presented to Abrams and Bad Robot to see if the company would be interested in producing the picture."
  • Andy Muschietti is still onboard to direct the Flash solo movie starring Ezra Miller, but shooting is not expected to start until 2021.
  • Christina Hodson will write the Batgirl script once she's done writing the Flash script.
  • WB is currently looking for a director for the previously-reported Aquaman spin-off/horror movie, The Trench.
  • Shooting on Aquaman 2 will begin in 2021.
  • There are no plans to release a Snyder Cut of Justice League, either to theaters or HBO Max. One of Variety's sources says this is a "pipe dream" that will "never happen". Oof.

Well yeah and obviously everyone uses them but still they clearly haven't learned anything. 

Didn't suicide squad apparently get a standing ovation from their execs or some such?

I was working at WB when batman v superman came out and it amazed me how few of the high up staff had any clue about movies but I still find it ludicrous. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Well yeah and obviously everyone uses them but still they clearly haven't learned anything. 

Didn't suicide squad apparently get a standing ovation from their execs or some such?

I was working at WB when batman v superman came out and it amazed me how few of the high up staff had any clue about movies but I still find it ludicrous. 

I was working there at that time too and went to the employees screening. A ton of people walked out half way to go to the pub instead. 

• Empathy 1

8 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I was working there at that time too and went to the employees screening. A ton of people walked out half way to go to the pub instead. 

I may have been in the same screening, although i think they did a few as it was pretty empty even going in. I remember laughing out loud during one part at how shit it was and realised I probably shouldn't.

From that Variety article.. 

To help find a way to make Superman relevant to modern audiences, studio brass has been polling lots of high-profile talent..

Yes, the story of an immigrant refugee who becomes a reporter and goes up against a sociopathic billionaire, who uses his wealth and power to hide his many crimes.. 

Fuck knows how they'd make THAT relevant for a modern audience! 

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, MDY said:

Yes, the story of an immigrant refugee who becomes a reporter and goes up against a sociopathic billionaire, who uses his wealth and power to hide his many crimes.. 

Well, fuck knows how they'll get financial backing for that.

Notes: "We need to make Lex more sympathetic to the audience"

Warner Bros. has discussed the future of Superman with JJ Abrams.

He'll just lean into the John Williams score and nostalgia like Star Wars. I can do that for half the price, WB!

He'd also 'mystery box' the fuck out of it and then never resolve those mysteries. 

It would still be a million times better than man of steel of course. 

10 hours ago, MDY said:

It’s only a few years since Snyder’s film did exactly that already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

It’s only a few years since Snyder’s film did exactly that already.

Huge difference between 'doing it' and 'doing it well'. Literally anyone can do the former, including Snyder.

• Upvote 1

This is now free on Amazon Prime.  Everyone talks about Cavill’s obvious CGI lip despite the low-res cameraphone effect to hide it but not the smell-the-fart acting. And maybe it’s the contrast from having just watched The Shining but everything about this feels more like an expensive TV pilot than a movie.

The idea that anyone looked at this and though surely there was a better version in the can is touchingly optimistic but honestly I can’t blame them. I’d refuse to believe this was the movie they actually made too.

Amazing.

I ventured into the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut madness on twitter and I've never seen such a cultish "movement" around a director before. Even Rob Liefield is getting involved in it. It's terrifying.

On 18/11/2019 at 14:28, McCoy said:

Maybe not, but devoting four paragraphs to him suggests some kind of importance not befitting someone who is literally only quoted because he was about to pay a fiver for a comic book. Christ knows why the BBC felt this person's opinion was in any way worthwhile featuring. And why did the BBC waste time sending a reporter to a comic book shop in response to a couple of tweets anyway. 

The BBC has slowly but surely been replacing all their actual journalism with “wot I fink” pieces where uninformed random members of the public spew out some utter drivel on the topic and the BBC act like that means something. It’s one of the many reason the BBC and their shitty news reporting are worthless garbage.

On 27/11/2019 at 01:19, MDY said:

Better ask a bunch of spoilt millionaires for tips, they’ll definitely understand. 

13 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Now Subway want it released or some nonsense.

https://movieweb.com/snyder-cut-justice-league-fast-food-support/

WB should just dump it on YouTube in a few parts in whatever state it is in although then we’d get release the Snyder cut in cinemas fully finished or some nonsense.

Subway should leave Superman alone, they've done enough damage

08kbubS.jpg