Bye Bye Sky One

Spartan

The problem is though, does the general public really care? I mean do blokes really care about the morality of the corporation that supplies their Sky Sports? And when a customer chooses their provider tomorrow, will it enter into their judgement?

You can still get Sky Sports through Virgin. Just not Sky Sports "News".

well, we got telewest mainly for lost, 24, & the broadband service.

im kind of pissed off now. im tempted to drop the TV down to the bare minimum package now. i could'nt give a monkeys WHY they are off the air if im honest. i am bothered that i am now paying for a service im not getting.

it all feels a bit like playground bickering.

Once its gone I'll probably buy a DVD recorder with hard-drive and built in freeview then cancel my TV package completely.

Apparently the channels in question are going to be removed or at least locked on freeview in the near future as well.

So do we have a list of what channels will stay for cable users, and ones which will go?

The ones that are going are Sky One, Two, Three, News, Sports News iirc. (Travel as well! hehe - what a loss . . . i was wrong about two and three, hence crossed out)

Sky make so much from the Sports (it's >60% of revenues) that they'd be idiots to pull the plug on any other providers selling it. Would also put them in a much dodgier position regarding rights negotiation for said sports coverage in light of the EU anti-monopolies thing which has given Setanta the look in.

Have to say, until the ITV/Virgin panic mode kicked in I thought Murdoch Jr was doing a spectacularly good job, but they've lost the plot in the last six months completely.

So Sky two and three are still present? Isn't lost repeated on Sky two?

I believe they're gone too, but only ex-NTL ever had them. We ex-Telewest people never got them in the first place, so we've not lost them. If you see what I mean.

Anyway, fuck both companies. Both of them are treating paying customers as pawns in their own war. I really, really couldn't give a flying fuck whether Branson or Murdoch has the biggest willy, I'm just pissed off that I'm paying exactly what I was paying yesterday for a service that has, given what I like to watch, dropped in quality significantly.

Bastards, the lot of them.

Gutted about losing Sky One (mainly for 24 and The Simpsons) and Sky Sports News (for keeping up to date with the footie scores).

But at the same time it's quite clearly price fixing and anti-competitive measures from Sky, hence Virgin have the moral high ground here...

Hmm, Sky really need to be taken down a peg or two. Perhaps this is just the kick Sir Richard needed to properly start a crusade against Sky.

The early deal with ABC is a good sign. The big American networks/studios will surely see a competitor in the UK market as a good thing, they can still charge silly money, but now Virgin and Sky have to outbid each other.

Bad move for Virgin Media. Believe it or not, negotiations were underway between the two companies with Sky advising Branson's lot no to drop the channels.

However with this move it finally looks like Sky have finally killed off cable and are now owning the market.

Virgin's services are only available to 51% of the UK's population whereas Sky can serve nearly every home in the country....

So for all you Lost, Simpsons fans etc....it's time to move over....

The reverse is true. Sky stand to lose a lot of ad revenue, viewers and visibility this way. Their channels are in ratings decline, whilst VM's are growing - that's the real root cause of this spat, as VM are pissed their channels are devalued, whilst Sky's are artificially expensive (including the price doubling, which really was their entry point to negotiations).

I'd be amazed if Sky choose to hold out, especially given the position VM are moving into regarding on demand content direct from the US. That +bittorrent having detroyed Sky One's reason for existence would count as a problem.

Having worked for one and now work for the other, I find it quite depressing. It's childish, and only the consumer loses out. One of them has been getting way too big for their boots of late and really needs brought down a peg or 34. Seeing the way they run their company from the inside, if ever they were looking for a way to pull the foundations from beneath them, they're doing a good fucking job right now.

So for all you Lost, Simpsons fans etc....it's time to move over....

if only it were that simple. we have a flat where we are not allowed to put up a dish. in fact i would'nt be suprised if the lions share of virgin subscribers were in the same boat & only went with telewest/ntl because they couldnt put up a dish.

Having worked for one and now work for the other, I find it quite depressing. It's childish, and only the consumer loses out. One of them has been getting way too big for their boots of late and really needs brought down a peg or 34. Seeing the way they run their company from the inside, if ever they were looking for a way to pull the foundations from beneath them, they're doing a good fucking job right now.

Hmmmm....so are you at Sky at the moment? :D

if only it were that simple. we have a flat where we are not allowed to put up a dish. in fact i would'nt be suprised if the lions share of virgin subscribers were in the same boat & only went with telewest/ntl because they couldnt put up a dish.

I won't move to Sky because I disapprove of their tactics and a dish would look horrible on my house.

Imo i think it's great that Branson took over NTL/Telewest, because it's about time Sky got some good competiton. Over the years being the market leaders without any real competition, i feel they've become complacent.

Hopefully....now it's all going to change..:D

The only thing that puts me off about Sky is the ownership of the hardware. If my NTL/Virgin box breaks, then I know I can get another for nowt. If my Sky box breaks, I have to buy another one (annoying but not insurmountable), but if the dish breaks, then it becomes really expensive.

That's one of the reason I ditched Sky. We bought our house, moved in a discovered that the dish that had been there when we moved in wasn't best placed. Got channel break up at the slightest hint of wind. Rang Sky and they wanted 40 quid just to come look at the dish even though I wasn't the fucker that had it put there. So I left for NTL. That was 4 years ago. Haven't regretted it. NTL's service has been great. Shame their EPG is so slow. :-)

The only thing that puts me off about Sky is the ownership of the hardware. If my NTL/Virgin box breaks, then I know I can get another for nowt. If my Sky box breaks, I have to buy another one (annoying but not insurmountable, but if the dish breaks, then it becomes really expensive.

Your best bet is to go for the Sky Repair Protection Plan.

After 12 months the equipment is yours, and if anything happens and you do need a service call. You'll pay £65 and that will cover you for any replacement products (however these are refurbished). You then get a 90 day warranty of the replacement products. So overall it's too bad, however at the same time you don't want to be spending £65 every time something goes wrong with the box.

Tbh the standard digiboxes are the most reliable and last for years on end, without any major problems. From time to time, you'll just need to reset it....and 99.9% of problems are solved.

That's one of the reason I ditched Sky. We bought our house, moved in a discovered that the dish that had been there when we moved in wasn't best placed. Got channel break up at the slightest hint of wind. Rang Sky and they wanted 40 quid just to come look at the dish even though I wasn't the fucker that had it put there. So I left for NTL. That was 4 years ago. Haven't regretted it. NTL's service has been great. Shame their EPG is so slow. :-)

Did you take your box with you?

The only thing that puts me off about Sky is the ownership of the hardware. If my NTL/Virgin box breaks, then I know I can get another for nowt. If my Sky box breaks, I have to buy another one (annoying but not insurmountable), but if the dish breaks, then it becomes really expensive.

Yeah but that's outweighed by the fact that Virgin own all the boxes, so if you leave the service, the box goes with it.

Did you take your box with you?

Yes

Yeah but that's outweighed by the fact that Virgin own all the boxes, so if you leave the service, the box goes with it.

Why would you want to keep the box if you no longer want cable?

Yes

Why would you want to keep the box if you no longer want cable?

It seems stupid to pay the £40 (Moving Home Offer) when the equipment is already at the property you're moving to. But the benefit is that you get a 90 day warranty on the equipment as it's been checked by engineer.

It seems stupid to pay the £40 (Moving Home Offer) when the equipment is already at the property you're moving to. But the benefit is that you get a 90 day warranty on the equipment as it's been checked by engineer.

The people we bought the house off didn't leave the digibox there. Had to use the one we already had. Can't remember if I had to pay Sky any money to move though.