rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Yeah, the 85mm 1.8 L is ludicrously pricey. The next one down's not so bad, almost "impulse buy" territory. I won't get it unless I find myself suddenly wanting to do portraits though. Equally I might like to try the 50mm 1.4. But this is all way in the future. I've got plenty to be getting on with for a long time yet.

Of course, the weather's turned to absolute shit, just in time. Oh, and there's a church down the road from me that I've been dying to shoot since we moved. Looks great when the sun is low. Of course, now I've finally got the lens to fit it all in, they've dug the fucking driveway and lawn up and left piles of rubble everywhere. Oh, and stuck up a big blue plastic sign, which looks permanent.

Oh, and you'll notice that above list doesn't include a memory card. That's still on its way. So I can review each picture for 8 seconds, then it's gone forever.

I also don't have a working computer or an internet connection at the moment. Great eh?

Should get the computer and memory card sorted by the weekend though. Might try and get an early morning shoot in on Saturday if the weather permits.

Of course, the weather's turned to absolute shit, just in time. Oh, and there's a church down the road from me that I've been dying to shoot since we moved. Looks great when the sun is low. Of course, now I've finally got the lens to fit it all in, they've dug the fucking driveway and lawn up and left piles of rubble everywhere. Oh, and stuck up a big blue plastic sign, which looks permanent.

Oh, and you'll notice that above list doesn't include a memory card. That's still on its way. So I can review each picture for 8 seconds, then it's gone forever.

I also don't have a working computer or an internet connection at the moment. Great eh?

Should get the computer and memory card sorted by the weekend though. Might try and get an early morning shoot in on Saturday if the weather permits.

Nothing worse than this! You'll be chomping at the bit by the weekend! Have you sold ALL your old gear? Have to say, im a bit jealous ^_^

Old camera was a Canon Powershot G7. Not bad, good range of control with a proper full manual mode but a very noisy sensor and can't get shallow enough DOF. It's on eBay at the moment (interested?). It's being replaced with the 5D, plus one of these for the missus (and for general jeans-pocket usage):

g_00032144.jpg

Having said that, she's got an A-level in photography and she fell back in love with it last night when she picked up the 5D. Well, who wouldn't? ^_^

Obviously that means the gear I've got is pretty much all useless. My tripod was about £20 and will do for some very careful still-weather shots until I get a new one. Haven't had a CF card since 32MB was considered a big one (went in my Nikon Coolpix 990). Got a 4GB one on the way now, costs about the same.

Oh and it's "champing" at the bit :)

Oh and it's "champing" at the bit :)

I was actually thinking that when I wrote it! ^_^ As for being interested in your camera, the only thing im considering at the minute is a 30D, cos my 350D is starting to feel a bit small! But i have no cash, so that'll have to wait!

I've been looking at that 17-40mm. As a replacement for the 400D kit lens, is this lens better than the 17-55mm IS zoom? Reviews seem to suggest that the 17-40mm L lens is better, despite the lack of, well, IS and the slightly smaller range.

Well, it's L range so you would normally expect better sharpness, contrast and saturation. 17-40 x 1.6 = 27.2-64, so yeah I guess you're looking at roughly the same range as I've got in the 24-70 lens I bought.

It's up to you but I'm not sure you'd notice a massive difference. Perhaps try to find somewhere you can try it and take it back?

The 17 - 40 is my walkabout on my 30D, the 17 - 55 is f/2.8 and has IS, but it is a lot more expensive.

It also gathers a lot of dust inside it.

I'm trying to stay with EF lenses so that if I do go for a full frame in the future, all my lenses will work.

;)

Just got an e-mail from Nikon regarding the D3 and D300 plus some new lenses. Apologies if it's old news: Link

Edited by themomentbefore

I went round to a friend's house last night and took a quick couple of shots while I was there with flash (430EX). They look amazing. I can't believe how sharp this stuff comes out - and no noise whatsoever (I was at ISO 320) even at 100%.

I imagine the iso 25600 are similar to the H iso modes on the canon cameras. As in 'take a pic at ISO6400 -2stops and then boost by two later'.

The D3 looks like a very beefy cam.

The 17 - 40 is my walkabout on my 30D, the 17 - 55 is f/2.8 and has IS, but it is a lot more expensive.

It also gathers a lot of dust inside it.

I'm trying to stay with EF lenses so that if I do go for a full frame in the future, all my lenses will work.

:D

I'm almost sold on it, except I bought myself the EF-S 10-22 lens whilst out in Japan and there's a fair amount of overlap. Argh! Too many lenses to choose from! :lol::(

I went round to a friend's house last night and took a quick couple of shots while I was there with flash (430EX). They look amazing. I can't believe how sharp this stuff comes out - and no noise whatsoever (I was at ISO 320) even at 100%.

Really wondering about whether or not to get the 580 or the 430...

I really think the 430 would suffice for most things, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than the 580.

I have shot before with a 580 EX attached, and it really is very good!

EDIT:

I'm really wondering about the Canon EF-S 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-22mm.

Anybody else shot with both of them?

I somehow prefer the Canon, but it's quite a bit more expensive :lol:

Actually I was thinking that I'd get about an 85mm prime for portraits, and then a 100-300 telephoto.

Those are low priority though. Firstly because I've spent quite a bit already, secondly because the next stuff to buy is filters and a tripod, and thirdly because I 'm more into wide-angle stuff - hence going for a full-frame camera and medium and wide lenses.

I use a 100mm Sigma 2.8 for outdoor portriats, it's really really good value. I'm using it with a D200. It's a bit too tight for indoor stuff, unless you've a large studio.

I'm getting some great results with my 5D, but I don't currently have internet access at home.

I was at Tower Bridge yesterday and found a good position to get a statue in the foreground and the bridge in the background, with some lovely clouds and a bit of sunshine reflecting off the river. While I was working on getting the shot, I must have seen 3 or 4 people photographing the statue - but they were standing the opposite side of it to me. That meant they would have got a shot of the statue, with some boring buildings and a big wall in the background. Some of them had proper big cameras too. It was weird.

I'm getting some great results with my 5D, but I don't currently have internet access at home.

I was at Tower Bridge yesterday and found a good position to get a statue in the foreground and the bridge in the background, with some lovely clouds and a bit of sunshine reflecting off the river. While I was working on getting the shot, I must have seen 3 or 4 people photographing the statue - but they were standing the opposite side of it to me. That meant they would have got a shot of the statue, with some boring buildings and a big wall in the background. Some of them had proper big cameras too. It was weird.

Not everyone sees everything the same.

I'm getting some great results with my 5D

:'( :'( jealous

I need £3000 to 'kit' me out so bad.

Some people just have immense disposable income and photography is a nice hobby with expensive things to buy.

A friend of a friend recently bought a 5D and associated L lenses simply because he wanted the best camera he could buy

and couldn't stand to be seen with a 'low end' cam...even though he uses it on full auto all the time. Wasted.

However I don't lament the shitty photographers/paparazi with amazing equipment because they fund the industry's high end which in turn, filters down to all products. It's the way of things.

A friend of a friend recently bought a 5D and associated L lenses...even though he uses it on full auto all the time

:(

I actually thought I'd use aperture priority all the time, but I've taken every shot (about 250 so far) in manual. I did take one quick snapshot in full auto, but it got deleted. You can't get RAW from full auto!

:(

I actually thought I'd use aperture priority all the time, but I've taken every shot (about 250 so far) in manual. I did take one quick snapshot in full auto, but it got deleted. You can't get RAW from full auto!

You can on a Nikon D40 :(

'P' mode is the same as full auto and will spit out a raw.

also if you 'scroll' the wheel it will move through different aperture/exposure settings that give the same final exposure.

I don't think I've ever used full auto on a DSLR ever. Maybe P mode for lazysnaps, Av is as close as I get to auto usually. :ph34r:

I want a circ polariser for my wide angle lens. Lens in question is 17-40mm F/4 L. Do I need to get a slim polariser to avoid vignetting? If so, recommendations please. Diameter 77mm. I take it a slim one will work fine on my normal lens as well (24-70mm F/2.8 L)?

Slim one will be fine on both lenses, vignetting is not so much a problem if you stop down.

Or if you are planning on getting ND and grad filters, get a Cokin circ polariser.

'P' mode is the same as full auto and will spit out a raw.

also if you 'scroll' the wheel it will move through different aperture/exposure settings that give the same final exposure.

Nothing wrong with using P mode if you're just taking quick snaps, it's not however the same as full auto as you have to select the ISO speed you want and also the flash is disabled unless you pop it up. Full auto decides itself on those two things.

I must admit to shooting in Av mode at least 75% of the time, it just makes more sense as the camera will come up with the shutter speed almost instantly where I have to scroll about for ages. Unless I know/feel that the onboard metering will give the wrong results it's the way forward for me as I like to control the DOF. All that goes out the window when I do motorsport though, it's all about shutter priority then.

Jumble, why do you choose to use full manual for all shots, do you always meter using a handheld light meter or something? Not having a go I just can't see the benefit, especially not when shooting RAW as minor exposure issues can be so easily adjusted in post.