rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Hopefully this should be the right place to ask for advice on this, but is this camera any good? It certainly doesn't have to be anything special, however I thought I'd ask here in case it requires a steady flow of gun powder to make it flash or is just plain shit. Thanks, experts.

Seems to be a decent enough camera for the price, providing your not looking for any special features it would do nicely as a compact!

Art Vandelay, I'm not really fan of Samsung camera's myself, but I guess it's a good price for it.

Apparantly it's the same model as the NV-7, but lacks a shift type image stabilisation system.

A bit about the NV5 here,

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/comp...ng-nv5.aspx#top

preview: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NV5/NV5A.HTM

NV7 dpreview review up here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnv7/

My first film camera was an Olympus OM-1n which you can pick up for buttons these days. Many ebay shops sell them reconditioned with a 3-month warranty and for learning the basics, they're absolutely ideal. I actually regret selling mine because I'd have kept it as a B&W film camera.

If you go to a shop, have the assistant show you how to remove the lens and check that the mirror sweeps up cleanly and the shutter curtain opens & closes smoothly when you fire the release. The OM-1n has a needle+scale exposure meter in the eyepiece - point the camera at a dark and then bright area and make sure the needle's moving smoothly. Move the film winding ratchet a couple of times to make sure that's smooth enough.

The focus screen is the split-ring type (arguably the best manual focus aid to this day) so look through the viewfinder and turn the focus ring on the lens and make sure that the mechanics are smooth and that you observe the two halves of the split-ring moving in and out of focus as you turn through. Finally, turn the aperture ring on the lens (that's the one that clicks when you turn it) and make sure that's mechanically sound too.

I have a real nostalgic streak for the OM-1n so I'm probably biased. The more experienced guys here might take a different view so I'd advise you listen to them. :lol:

cheers for that! had a look at the OM1n which looks cool as does the OM2n. Both just the kinda thing i was looking for. basically i want a camera like that, and a real nice sharp 50mm lens capable of a low F number :)

My flatmate just bought me this..

251567003_6a93c5e5ff.jpg

AMAZING!

Going to be doing some TLR action tomorrow. :angry:

(Its a 1959 Kodak Brownie Reflex 20)

cheers for that! had a look at the OM1n which looks cool as does the OM2n. Both just the kinda thing i was looking for. basically i want a camera like that, and a real nice sharp 50mm lens capable of a low F number :lol:

I use a Pentax ME Super with the 50mm f1.7 for my B&W films. Th light metering takes a bit of getting used to but it is a lovely camera.

Couldn't tell you about the price on ebay but a local camera shop here is selling that combo at the mo for £129.

I've got a 400D and a Mac running Aperture. Is it possible to tether them?

I'm thinking mainly for macro stuff, rather than pictures of my living room...

900 quid for the 40D body, that's a lot of money! Not as much as the 6 grand for the 1Ds obviously!!

It's a very good upgrade IMO - the larger screen and Auto ISO will be useful and does it have the same amazing high ISO as the new 1DMKIII?

Only the tests will tell. 14bit raw too...bigger viewfinder.

It's very confusing for me because I was eyeing the up the 5D, which the 40D now has some features over.

900 quid for the 40D body, that's a lot of money! Not as much as the 6 grand for the 1Ds obviously!!

Ouch. I sense some planets aligning though.. the bank did just give me my overdraft back. Guess I'll see how much I can sell my 400D for..

Noticed at the bottom of the 40D press release that the kit lens has been re-launched with IS now too. I hope they improved the quality of the lens a little as it really wouldn't be fair to use the normal kit lens on the 40D.

I'm planning to upgrade soon and had the idea that the 40D would drop the 30D prices even more and I could pick up one of those, now I'm looking at the specs of the 40D I know I wouldn't be satisfied but I really don't have the extra 400 quid needed to get the 40D. Part of me would much rather use the extra money to buy glass anyway. So confusing.

One thing that came about from my recent trip to Japan is that I need a tripod. Should I just buy some Argos cheapo special that I can get used to and treat like shit, or is worth spending the money for something better? To be honest, I'm a lazy fucker and so I wouldn't want to carry some monstrously big and heavy tripod (which I imagine would be cheaper than the CF equivalents), but I still have no idea what a sensible height is for 'general' use. I don't think I'll be doing much macro work, so that's not a factor. It'll just be for night and group shots mainly, maybe random long exposures for water/light effects. What's a sensible max height to look for?

Or is this a question that has already been answered?

I want to ask a tripod question too actually. I hope I'm not doing the standard rllmuk thing of asking for the moon on a stick for a fiver, but here is what I would like:

I would like the centre column to be reversible so I can hang the camera upside down really low down.

I would like to be able to orientate the centre column horizontally.

I would like it to be light.

I would like to spend about £150 including the head.

Is that budget OK or do I need to bump it up? I would happily do so to get any of the above features.

Beanbags will seriously limit you ability to frame/compose a shot.

Get a tripod that is nearly as tall as you are basically, you wont be able to use it any higher as you wont be able to see through the viewfinder anyway. Learn to take it with you if you're going to take shots and you'll soon get used to it.

I could recommend lots of features for you Talvalin but I don't know how serious you are or how much you have to spend. The more rigid it is the better obviously, the main problem I have with mine is it blows around a lot in the wind. Hanging my bag on the bottom bit helps a bit.

Jumble, I think you could get those features for £150 depending on the type of head you want except maybe the lightness thing. I never thought about the upside down thing, how good would that be, must try that when I get a better tripod.

You got the spelling right yes and they are good. You could also look at Giottos.

Can't really recommend specific models but you could have a look here and here as they list loads.

I'm after a new tripod as the leg support on mine is messing about (cheap tripod+dropping it=doh). I'd very much like one of the Manfrotto 190x's but I'm not sure I can justify the £95+head outlay until I improve some. However I'm going to order a filter holder and a couple of convertor rings (one for each lens thread size I have :( ) along with a nd grad or two :lol:

Actually I was thinking that I'd get about an 85mm prime for portraits, and then a 100-300 telephoto.

Those are low priority though. Firstly because I've spent quite a bit already, secondly because the next stuff to buy is filters and a tripod, and thirdly because I 'm more into wide-angle stuff - hence going for a full-frame camera and medium and wide lenses.

The canon 100mm Macro is LOVELY. if you want something that length (f2.8 i think). The 85mm f1.8 is meant to be nice too and the f1.2 great but ££.

I need to stop pissing my money away and get some nice glass ^_^