rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Thanks for that - I suspected that might be the case. I am looking for a cheap Macro lens for my D40x and I noticed a couple of good value ones with AF fittings. Looks like it might be time for me to get to grips with manual focusing

Autofocus is pretty much useless for macro stuff anyway, so being limited to manual focus shouldn't be too much of a handicap.

The 580 is more powerful, and can be used as a master flash (to set off other canon flashes). Faster recycling time, and weatherproofing.

You're probably better getting the 430 or one of the sigma ones as your first flash, unless you're minted. (which you do seem to be .. :) )

I really don't have that much cash, I feel a bit embarresed now! I put a lot of time and thought into buying hardware, and probably talked about it a little too much on here...

Back on track... Would it be advisable to go for the Sigma over the 580? Or should I stay 100% Canon and go for the 430? I'll be using it a lot for Macro shortly.

Defi dont get the Sigma flashes as they are shite, really really poor. The 430 is vastly better than the 500 sigma. A friend has the cheap and dear version of the 500 and its awful. My 550 is way better and a really old Metz does a better job AVOID AVOID AVOID SIGMA FLASHES !!

The main diff with the 430 + 580 is power - the 580 can throw light further than the 430 and controls it better at distance, also has better strobe settings + whats mentioned above.

I've dug out and cleaned the old girl (Pentax ME Super with a 50mm f1.7)! Anyone have suggestions for the best 35mm B&W film to buy? I used to be an Ilford man but maybe there is better out there.

I've dug out and cleaned the old girl (Pentax ME Super with a 50mm f1.7)! Anyone have suggestions for the best 35mm B&W film to buy? I used to be an Ilford man but maybe there is better out there.

I still love HP5.

Thanks scribble, I'm going to pick up a HP5 and a Fujifilm NEOPAN 400 and see how I get on with those to start with.

Can anyone recommend a mini tipod, suitable for holding a 400D and up to a 70-200mm canon lens? My calumet one is huge, and I certainly couldn't climb a mountain with it..

Ive got this , got it on holiday cos i didnt want to carry my huge one, it straps onto my bag nicely and is rock solid! Maybe not as mini as your looking for, but i wouldn't trust anything smaller! I have a 350D, it supports that + my 70-300mm lens easily! Its really light aswell!

Easy if things are a long way away from you :)

I have a Compact Flash Question.

What is the minimum speed I can get away with? If I buy from ebay will I definitely be getting dodgy memory... how can I tell?

Anyone got a reputable cheap supplier? I shoot canon so it is the big Compact Flash cards I need, which don't seem to be dropping in price as much as some other types ;)

Easy if things are a long way away from you :)

I have a Compact Flash Question.

What is the minimum speed I can get away with? If I buy from ebay will I definitely be getting dodgy memory... how can I tell?

Anyone got a reputable cheap supplier? I shoot canon so it is the big Compact Flash cards I need, which don't seem to be dropping in price as much as some other types ;)

4gb Sandisk extreme III cards (the best you can get without paying silly money for extreme IV's) on play for £36

or £32 for a Ultra II

The extra £4 is worth it in my opinion. not only will you get a faster read/write speed which can only help with burst shots (I can shoot about 2x as many shots on burst with my sony alpha then I could with the ultra II), but they have better resistance to heat/cold and so are more reliable.

Watch the second hand price of 400Ds plummet ;)

I was surprised how well 300 and 350's have kept their value so don't despair!

Looks like it has live view which is nice. Currently only on the new 1dmkIII

A *little* lol worthy that you need to spend (at the mo) £3000 to get mobile phone camera tech on your dSLR :) Of course you cannot actually focus in live mode.

Great thing with that vid, at the end he pushes the shutter for a tiny amount of time... and gets 3x exposures! The camera is a machine!

40D specs leaked

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/19/amazon-...s-40d/#comments

I'll go for this from a 400D for sure, even if just for the weather proofing.

Watch the second hand price of 400Ds plummet :(

Nah, it's the successor of the 30D, not the 400D ;)

From what I read, the 40D is a pretty cool camera, but I'm pretty happy for now with my 30D ;)

Of course, I'm still wondering how it'll come out of tests, especially the noise. AF is already blisteringly fast of the 30D :P

Also, I've already seen the 30D for 800 euro (approx 545 pounds), which is a an amazing price for the camera!

The leaked 1Ds Mark III is also just amazing, 21MP :(

You might get a hundred off the current price if you're lucky, bearing in mind it's already down a lot from the launch RRP. That means the 40D will be a couple of hundred odd more expensive anyway, so it'll really come down to how many 30D's the retailers have left and how desperate they are to shift them.

I thought as much....im looking at the 20D aswell, my brother has one and I like it. Dont know whether the 30D has enough extra features to justify the extra few hundred pounds I'd need to spend to get one. Its only a thought in my mind, ive not long had my 350D but its just a big small for my liking after using my brothers a few times!

Actually scratch what I said above! I didn't realise the 30D was selling for as little as it currently is: being down to £585 from the £1099 it launched at it's already in a completely different budget range to what the 40D will be going for.

preview is up on dpreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/

Even has a changes table :rolleyes:

iwan_canobi, not sure about England, but here in the Netherlands you can already buy a Canon 30D for approx 545 pounds, no doubt it's the same over there.

Not sure at what price point the 40D will be launched, but apparently the Amazon leak had it listed at 1400 dollars.

hey

quick question about film cameras. If i wanted to spend around 50-100£ (i realise this isnt much) looking for a 2nd hand slr, any ideas whats the best thing to look for? Also say i found one which looked good...being 2nd hand what kinda things should you check for.. like on a car you do checks for badness must be the same on a camera... :rolleyes:

thanks

hey

quick question about film cameras. If i wanted to spend around 50-100£ (i realise this isnt much) looking for a 2nd hand slr, any ideas whats the best thing to look for? Also say i found one which looked good...being 2nd hand what kinda things should you check for.. like on a car you do checks for badness must be the same on a camera... :rolleyes:

thanks

My first film camera was an Olympus OM-1n which you can pick up for buttons these days. Many ebay shops sell them reconditioned with a 3-month warranty and for learning the basics, they're absolutely ideal. I actually regret selling mine because I'd have kept it as a B&W film camera.

If you go to a shop, have the assistant show you how to remove the lens and check that the mirror sweeps up cleanly and the shutter curtain opens & closes smoothly when you fire the release. The OM-1n has a needle+scale exposure meter in the eyepiece - point the camera at a dark and then bright area and make sure the needle's moving smoothly. Move the film winding ratchet a couple of times to make sure that's smooth enough.

The focus screen is the split-ring type (arguably the best manual focus aid to this day) so look through the viewfinder and turn the focus ring on the lens and make sure that the mechanics are smooth and that you observe the two halves of the split-ring moving in and out of focus as you turn through. Finally, turn the aperture ring on the lens (that's the one that clicks when you turn it) and make sure that's mechanically sound too.

I have a real nostalgic streak for the OM-1n so I'm probably biased. The more experienced guys here might take a different view so I'd advise you listen to them. :rolleyes:

Yeah, there wouldn't really be much point to it at the moment would there. The trouble is it's basically an affordable(ish) 1D, so improving it too much is going to take the price straight into 1D territory. Improving it but keeping the price point the same would just lose them money. I think you might be on to something - they'll save it for when it gets a direct competitor.