rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Does anyone here use UV filters?

Now my lens collection is starting to be worth a bit, I'm thinking of covering up.

77mm seems to be £15 each, though I am tempted to contact this person:

http://www.eos-classifieds.com/index.php?a=2&b=939

Skylight or UV here. I would always spend a bit more to get a good quality Hoya filter though.. no point spending big money on a lens and as little as on a poor filter.

Can anyone recommend me a bag which'll hold a camera with 70-200mm lens attached with space for a laptop (& flash & short lens)?

Ideally something which'll go as hand luggage on planes.

So annoyed. Had to take both my new(ish) D80 and 18-200mm lens back to Nikon for repairs after they both started playing up - the body thought the built in flash was always up, locking the shutter speed to 1/60th of a sec and the flash wouldn't even pop up. The lens stopped autofocusing a few weeks before.

410471804_47390304d0.jpg

They give great results, but I wouldn't really recommend one unless you can get darkroom access. Because they are technically shit cameras, and I've had to do a lot to some of my prints to make photos 'work'.

Thanks for that, I did a search for them on flickr and the like, some pretty interesting shots, but I imagine they would be hard to get right as the results seem pretty unpredictable! Maybe one to try when ive got more time on my hands!

The main problem is the lack of a light meter. I shot a roll at the weekend, and have spent all morning trying to get one photo to work.

Mmm.

Ouch! Is the film/processing not really expensive for them? Maybe just stick to digital for now :) Whilst searching though I did find a guide to attaching a holga lens to a Canon dslr, maybe give that a try!

Is the film/processing not really expensive for them?

Films about £2 for a roll of HP5, a £4 or £5 for fuji colour stuff. 12 photos a roll, of which I normally get 6 or 7 which are any good. I can develop them for free in the uni darkrooms, and paper is something like £20 for a box of 50 10x8 sheets.

I know people who've paid a lot of money (£20+) for getting their film of 12 and 1 set of 8x8 prints.. if its not 35mm and colour films really hard to get done in a shop now. :)

The 17-40 L arrived today. Seems as well built as the 70-200 IS L, but on my crappy indoor test shots, I left the iso at 800 so nothing special.

Looking forward to testing this out. 40 (or the 1.56 equiv) seems perfectly workable as a walkabout.

I don't think anything's been officially announced yet (even that it's coming), but usually it's a case of "no point upgrading unless you'd really make use of the relatively obscure feature XXX/do massive prints to benefit from the extra couple of megapixels/shoot sports to benefit from the extra frame per second it shoots" etc.

Wish I had the money for a (digital) camera better than my 400D. Its limitations are starting to annoy. :unsure:

See, what limitations have you encountered though? Ive thought about upgrading my 350D, but I really cant see any major benefit, the only thing I think I would want better is the amount of AF points, but im starting to use manual focus more and more, so even that doesnt matter as much now! But I suppose im only a fairly basic user, I always shoot on manual mode and ive never found anything I cant do with the 350D!

Just recently bought the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, cant wait to get out and try it at some gigs!

See, what limitations have you encountered though?

Right now, my problems are its small viewfinder, the lack of spot metering, and the not full frame sensor. I can't afford a full frame dslr, but the 30D solves the other 2 problems.

Right now, my problems are its small viewfinder, the lack of spot metering, and the not full frame sensor. I can't afford a full frame dslr, but the 30D solves the other 2 problems.

Ah, ok, I see where your coming from with the viewfinder! I hope I wasnt coming across cheeky, was just wondering what you'd like to change! :unsure:

I'm going to Serbia today, i've been told that if i'm wanting some camera gear that's the place.

Random recommendations for lenes and why i'd want them. Please.

Dude, get a telephoto! And maybe a decent high aperture one, for low light shots. How much cheaper are we talking here?

If you are going to buy lenses, you should really know what you want..

..I want everything though. :unsure:

I probably should have posed the question as ' Out of your kit, what do you guys find most useful'

Dude, get a telephoto! And maybe a decent high aperture one, for low light shots. How much cheaper are we talking here?

I dunno, but some guy i was speaking too told me i ought to 'stock up', the implication implied a considerable saving over UK prices.

I would suggest not buying anything until you find yourself limited by your current equipment. You'll know what that you'll need as time passes. Otherwise your just indulging in an expensive hobby...might as well collect expensive train sets or something.

Unless of course you plan on selling them. In which case I'd be interested in knowing the prices for the Canon f2 135L, Canon f4 24-105L and Canon 5D DSLR :unsure:

I would suggest not buying anything until you find yourself limited by your current equipment. You'll know what that you'll need as time passes. Otherwise your just indulging in an expensive hobby...might as well collect expensive train sets or something.

Unless of course you plan on selling them. In which case I'd be interested in knowing the prices for the Canon f2 135L, Canon f4 24-105L and Canon 5D DSLR :unsure:

Well, i am, I wouldn't mind a faster lens for night stuff, and a decent big zoom macro.. But because i don't really have a specific style i'm stuck for what to look at.

Anyone got any prime lens' that they'd recommend? have my eye on this one, as it's cheap, and has great reviews - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018daf.htm

want to do some macro stuff, but simply don't want to shell out the cash at the moment - any recommendations for cheap ones, or what are people's thoughts on those little lenses you clip on the front of your own ones?

I got a Nikon D40 for my birthday last week, hence my recent over-zealous additions to the random photo thread. This is my first dSLR (and also my first SLR in some years) so I've really nothing to compare it to but so far I'm fairly impressed. Now that all the gadgetry novelties have worn off, I tend to stick to shooting in Aperture Priority mode with the occasional use of the camera's preset B&W mode.

I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens and I'm going to try to stay away from getting any more glass as I want to grow into what I have. If I buy another lens then it'll be quite some time from now. I use PhotoShop Elements 5.0 which means I have to convert the RAW .NEF files to .DNG and them import them into PSE. It's a little long winded but I found Nikon's PictureProject to be really slow and clunky once it had a number of images catalogued so I removed it. I also tried CaptureNX but I'm used to using PhotoShop (I had an illegit copy of 7.0 for years until I bought PSE5) and find I can do post-processing a little more comfortably with it.

I think I have a tendency to overcook my pictures a little in the post-process stage and I'm falling on the side of technicality (dazzling myself with effects 'just because I can') as opposed to just what looks good. I'd like to ask you good people to point me in the direction of good internet resources that focus more on the basics of actually shooting images and using a dSLR to best effect as opposed to what I can do post-process. I think I've got a fairly good grip on the basics which is weighted towards Aperture Priority shooting (and achieveing DoF etc) but I wouldn't mind finding a site that'll go from the basics again, so that I can make sure I haven't missed anything or developed any bad habits before going more advanced.

Also, any advice from your good selves would be much appreciated too.