Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Lucas has been given a £400 budget for a new lens. He wants a prime macro lens so he can photograph bugs and such. Think 100mm is the sweet spot for him as he has a 16-55mm kit lens and a manual old 70-200mm telephoto* with an adapter. 

Any recommendations?

He has: Sony a6000 (e-mount)

On 14/11/2020 at 19:45, bradigor said:

Lucas has been given a £400 budget for a new lens. He wants a prime macro lens so he can photograph bugs and such. Think 100mm is the sweet spot for him as he has a 16-55mm kit lens and a manual old 70-200mm telephoto* with an adapter. 

Any recommendations?

I have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM macro. I'd certainly recommend one of those if it's available in a Sony mount.

22 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM macro. I'd certainly recommend one of those if it's available in a Sony mount.

Looked at that but only had canon or a mount.

This is the one we are looking at right now

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-sony-lenses/tokina-firin-100mm-f-2-8-fe-sony-fe-fit/sku-1066202/?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0dx3CMRauREiI4S3oes04f683dGdJHM-4brTip4fWjbOEqq914aa0PhoCjw0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

32 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I can only vouch for the Sigma as it's the one I own, but one thing to consider - is Lucas wanting to use it purely for macro? If so, you may be able to find an older, manual focus model to do the job (albeit you'd probably be buying used). I found that, apart from maybe getting a quick general focus on the subject, that all my macro focusing is done manually. Because the depth of field is so small you can't rely on the auto-focus to lock onto the bit you want, e.g. the facets on an insects eye. I use my Sigma in manual focus all the time for macro (although having autofocus does mean it doubles up as a nice 105mm prime lens for general use too).

I've had a quick glance on Google a reviews for the Tokina and it seems a decent buy. Some issues with colour fringing when shot wide-open, and the autofocus motor is mentioned as being loud - which could be a problem around skittish insects if you don't manual focus. I guess just do your research and ask around - try the Talk Photography forum which has a dedicated macro sub-forum, as you may find first-hand opinions there.

Awesome, thanks, will do that. 

He wants it mainly for macro, but also want to try other things with it and not be limited to one thing. Ideally we'd get him a bunch of lenses, but looking into it now it may have been a mistake getting the Sony when it comes to lenses.

Right change of plan. Getting lenses for the Sony is a pain, so moving him to a Canon.

What would people suggest for the same £400 budget Canon? Seems the 4000d is best within budget. Then we can sell the Sony to fund a lens after the new year.

On 14/11/2020 at 19:45, bradigor said:

Any recommendations?

Bit drastic to think about changing systems! He has a great camera.

This is a prime E mount lens, perfect for taking pic's of bugs.

It's lightweight and has good autofocus. 

E 30mm F3.5 Macro E-mount Lens - less that £200 - one on ebay now for £150 buyout.

http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-of-sony-sel30m35-30mm-f35-macro.html

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4322909

AV forums and Talk photography are great places to pick up used equipment.

Lucas ended up with a Canon 4000d as a gift, so will sell the Sony a6000 to help fund a lens. He has the 18-55 kit lens and is gettinga 50mm prime lens for Christmas. So will likely use the Sony funds to pick up a telephoto he has seen he likes. 

He really wasn't happy with the Sony for some reason, which is a shame as I liked it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2020 at 11:52, bradigor said:

Lucas ended up with a Canon 4000d as a gift, so will sell the Sony a6000 to help fund a lens. He has the 18-55 kit lens and is gettinga 50mm prime lens for Christmas. So will likely use the Sony funds to pick up a telephoto he has seen he likes. 

He really wasn't happy with the Sony for some reason, which is a shame as I liked it. 

The Canon f/2.8 USM 100mm macro is awesome.

• 1 month later...

As a fun and silly comparison I've been looking at the Canon r5 and the soon to be released fuji gfx 100s. Anyone else seen those two? 

If you can have either which would it be and why? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 21:26, bridger said:

www.panamoz.com have both models in stock. 

Grey import of course from Hong Kong, but they come with a 3 year warranty where they reimburse you for any repair bills. I’ve spent a good few thousand there over the last couple of years or so and couldn’t be happier. 

That’s exactly where I’d be buying from if I was in the market for new camera gear regardless of stock shortages in the UK. 

I finally plucked up the courage to order one from these guys today. Thanks.

Was all for getting one from a UK stockist but they CANNOT get bloody EF to R adapters and I've waited months.

Hope their commitment of no additional import fees really works or it could get painful.

I can use EF-S lenses on this too, right (cropped of course) because there's no risk of hitting any mirror with the back of it? Only got one but it's my biggest zoom and until I invest in an EF or RF I'll probably need to use it.

D780B472-C490-4C77-91A3-76842A771CD8.thumb.jpeg.bec20c43ed49eaebbc285ff7f39c10e3.jpeg

Only had a chance for a quick play this evening but oh my god, things have moved on a bit since I got my 30D, haven’t they. Speed of the AF on that STM lens, and the image stabilisation! I got a totally usable 4 second handheld exposure, just sticking my head out the front door and doing a quick test shot.

14 hours ago, choddo said:

D780B472-C490-4C77-91A3-76842A771CD8.thumb.jpeg.bec20c43ed49eaebbc285ff7f39c10e3.jpeg

Only had a chance for a quick play this evening but oh my god, things have moved on a bit since I got my 30D, haven’t they. Speed of the AF on that STM lens, and the image stabilisation! I got a totally usable 4 second handheld exposure, just sticking my head out the front door and doing a quick test shot.

Nice! Keep us posted on your thoughts. I haven't even looked at my camera since around December so don't think I can justify it just yet. 

Girlfriend's birthday is in June, thinking of getting her a camera. Budget up to 500 quid? Her main purpose for them is taking photos of her artwork, usually oil paintings on a broad range of different sized canvases ranging from A5 to A1 ish. Up until now we've used my iphone 12, so really I would expect this camera to be better than even that for closeups? 

Ease is also another factor, I have no idea if this is even possible but sending images from camera to computer/phone via bluetooth? 

Help. I'm out of my depths here, am I being daft if we already have an iphone 12? 

She does have this thing, not sure how old/useful it is now but she has started using it again which made me think to buy a new one. It's a 8 megapixel? is that old these days?

image.thumb.png.5f5dbb85f1bcba339f7abf956d4b6456.png

What does she want to do with the photos? If the end result doesn’t need to be printed and hung, and is just for web viewing, 8MP is fine.

Suspect she might do better with some good lighting to bring out the colours and texture of the pieces?

If she's taking photos of artwork then I'd think a tripod and lighting would offer better results than a new/big camera.  They say the sharpest lens money can buy is a tripod and I'm inclined to agree, especially if you're shooting something which isn't moving. 

The iPhone or Olympus will more than meet your needs, though I guess getting the photos off of the Olympus might be more of a pain than it needs to be when you've got an iPhone sitting there. 

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

What does she want to do with the photos? If the end result doesn’t need to be printed and hung, and is just for web viewing, 8MP is fine.

Suspect she might do better with some good lighting to bring out the colours and texture of the pieces?

Photos would just be for online use, no printing. Yeah I wonder if you're right regarding lighting, we were actually struggling to light her paintings for taking photos a few weeks ago. In the art shop, they use this massive lightbox thing, I don't think we'd want a big ugly white box sitting in our small apartment.

Edit : Yeah Naysonymous that's a good call too with the tripod. Perhaps a few essentials like tri-pod, remote button thing? Some kind of lighting?

@Capwn you can get collapsible light boxes which fold up really small.  I'd look into some LED lighting too.  I'm sure there are plenty of guides on YouTube but they'd all depend on the size and shape of the art you are trying to photograph.  

edit: remote shutter release cables are really cheap but I find I never use mine unless I’m pointing the camera at my kid. For stuff that isn’t moving it’s easier just to use the two second timer on your phone/camera.   If you’re shooting on the floor then a little Gorillapod or Manfrotto Pixi (or one of the many similar tripods) with a phone clamp will more than cover your needs.  

No but you could get a couple of decent collapsible neutral tripod lights for 150-200 I’d have thought. I only have a kind of cheap bundle with white/black/green backdrop etc from amazon and honestly I’ve never used it properly but that was maybe £130?

e.g. (though out of stock from these UK bods)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/interfit-f5-two-head-fluorescent-lighting-kit-1579703/

So something like this could be good for artwork? When I look at them they seem to be more for photographing props with plain backgrounds for photoshopping? Not sure how effective they would be for canvas photography?

image.thumb.png.9ecb5cdef2937f1e694f7bf5ab3fc755.png

If they are canvas paintings then I’d hang them on the wall and photograph them like that.  Two lights at 45 degrees to the canvas, camera in the middle.  If you’re shooting jpeg on your phone then getting the correct white balance can make a lot of difference but you can get a grey card for next to nothing.  

Yeah exactly, get some uniform overlapped lighting and shoot from in between. Phone or that Olympus should both produce good results. What media is she using? I could imagine oils might lend themselves to being lit from one side but I’m really guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a compact camera with optical zoom and fast shutter speed and viewfinder for taking photos of wildlife etc whilst on walks. 

Ideally not massively expensive but interested in best bang for buck so to speak.

5 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

Any recommendations for a compact camera with optical zoom and fast shutter speed and viewfinder for taking photos of wildlife etc whilst on walks. 

Ideally not massively expensive but interested in best bang for buck so to speak.

Sony RX100 is great. The latest model will be pricey but you can pick up previous versions at a good price. I have a Mark III which is ancient in camera terms but still a fantastic bit of kit.