rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

On 30/01/2020 at 08:33, PopeSmokesDope said:

It seems like Canon are about to get on the mirror less wagon for real this time (instead of just removing the mirror from a 5dmk4 and trying to flog that...)

https://www.techradar.com/news/upcoming-canon-eos-r5-mirrorless-camera-all-but-confirmed-as-specs-leak

Sounds a bit of a beast... tempted if its under £3.5k...

Pretty interested in this. Considering jumping ship from fuji depending on price. 

Hi all,

I currently have a couple of DSLRs (one full frame, one crop) and a bunch of pretty decent prime lenses.

However I'm thinking about getting a decent compact for my travels instead of carting around a selection of lenses and a damn heavy camera.

What are my options and how much should I be spending for a half decent zoom (200-300mm), manual controls, wide-ish angle (18mm)? Not fussed for video as I've a GoPro Max although I assume all compacts now come with video anyway.

Didn't even know you could still buy compacts to be honest!

Is this for going travelling?

My gut recommendations would be to suck it up and take your full frame, you're only going to wish you had it with you..

2 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Didn't even know you could still buy compacts to be honest!

Is this for going travelling?

My gut recommendations would be to suck it up and take your full frame, you're only going to wish you had it with you..

It's not the camera, its all the lenses that are the problem :lol:

I have a 16mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, and 100-200mm

The market for bog standard compacts has been mostly eaten away by smartphones, but there are still lots of high-end models. They're favoured for travel photography and, especially, street photography.

The Fuji X100 range and Ricoh GR range are both very highly regarded, but have fixed focal length lenses (35mm & 28mm respectively). Something like a Sony RX100 might be a better choice for travel as it has a zoom lens. Again, it's a very highly regarded compact. There are other options from Olympus, Panasonic et al too that will be a good choice. Despit being compacts, they all have a strong range of features to allow full manual control - the Fuji, for example, features a bunch of analogue dials to make altering the settings easy. The Ricoh GR range are small enough to fit in a trouser pocket, but still feature an APS-C sensor and fast, high quality lens.

The advantage of a good compact is that it's very liberating. You can just chuck it in your pocket wherever you go, even if it's just a trip to the supermarket or something, and if you see an interesting photo op, you have a good quality camera with which to capture it.

5 hours ago, tbb said:

It's not the camera, its all the lenses that are the problem :lol:

I have a 16mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, and 100-200mm

errrr. get a 24-70 and take your 100-200 job done

• Upvote 1

On 09/03/2020 at 20:43, tbb said:

Hi all,

I currently have a couple of DSLRs (one full frame, one crop) and a bunch of pretty decent prime lenses.

However I'm thinking about getting a decent compact for my travels instead of carting around a selection of lenses and a damn heavy camera.

What are my options and how much should I be spending for a half decent zoom (200-300mm), manual controls, wide-ish angle (18mm)? Not fussed for video as I've a GoPro Max although I assume all compacts now come with video anyway.

Take a look at the Sony RX100. They seem to release a new model every year so pretty sure you could pick up a previous version at a good price. I have the Mark III and it's still a fantastic camera for travelling.

A quick question for film photographers in here. I want to get a flash gun to use with my Mamiya RZ67 Pro II and 110mm Sekor Z lens. Any recommendations? Is the Metz 45CL-4 worth a punt? The camera is already pretty big and heavy but the grip and attachment mechanism of the Metz might actually help balance it when I'm using the AE prism over the WLF.

I'm also interested in off camera flash options too but I'm a complete novice at that type of photography, so any pointers for where to start with that would be great (Specifically for medium format film!).

Cheers!

On 05/04/2020 at 14:12, Scratchy Bollock said:

A quick question for film photographers in here. I want to get a flash gun to use with my Mamiya RZ67 Pro II and 110mm Sekor Z lens. Any recommendations? Is the Metz 45CL-4 worth a punt? The camera is already pretty big and heavy but the grip and attachment mechanism of the Metz might actually help balance it when I'm using the AE prism over the WLF.

I'm also interested in off camera flash options too but I'm a complete novice at that type of photography, so any pointers for where to start with that would be great (Specifically for medium format film!).

Cheers!

Might be worth asking over on the Talk Photography forums.

There's a dedicated film photography sub-forum there (I use it a lot) and I'm sure someone will be able to offer some advice.

On 05/04/2020 at 14:12, Scratchy Bollock said:

Cheers!

It depends. What are you using it for ?

As you point out, size is an issue. I'd imagine that 99% of people using a RZ67 with flash do so off camera in controlled conditions.

Does anyone have a Lightroom 6 license for MacOS they'd like to sell please?

My girlfriend has been thinking of a flm camera and her birthday is coming up. We are on a tight budget so are there reputable places to buy decent basic film cameras for a reasonable price (couple of hundred quid) that take decent pics? Don't mind second hand at this price range obviously! Cheers

On 21/04/2020 at 09:49, p1nseeker said:

My girlfriend has been thinking of a flm camera and her birthday is coming up. We are on a tight budget so are there reputable places to buy decent basic film cameras for a reasonable price (couple of hundred quid) that take decent pics? Don't mind second hand at this price range obviously! Cheers

West Yorkshire Cameras

Real Camera Company

Harrisons

Ffordes

Amongst others.

You will easily get something nice for £200 - or much less for that matter. What sort of camera is she looking for?

Posted (edited)

To be honest I'm not sure if she knows. It wouldn't need fancy features or anything. As easy to use as possible with scope to take nicer pictures as she gets the hang of it. I live in Leeds so I've been passed West Yorkshire Cameras no end of times. Shame I can't go have a browse at the moment. 

Thanks for the links that gives me a great place to start. 

Something like this looks ideal:

https://realcamera.co.uk/product/pentax-p30-35mm-slr-camera-with-pentax-m-smc-50mm-f1-7-lens/

Would that be easy enough to use?

Edited by p1nseeker
Added link

10 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

To be honest I'm not sure if she knows. It wouldn't need fancy features or anything. As easy to use as possible with scope to take nicer pictures as she gets the hang of it. I live in Leeds so I've been passed West Yorkshire Cameras no end of times. Shame I can't go have a browse at the moment. 

Thanks for the links that gives me a great place to start. 

Something like this looks ideal:

https://realcamera.co.uk/product/pentax-p30-35mm-slr-camera-with-pentax-m-smc-50mm-f1-7-lens/

Would that be easy enough to use?

Hi,

I guess it depends on how much she knows about using a camera but, yes, that should be fairly straightforward to use.

The Pentax P30 has two main modes of operation:

• Programmed AE Mode - all you have to do is compose the shot, focus, and press the shutter. The camera will select a suitable aperture / shutter speed (see note below).
  • Metered Manual Mode - you choose the aperture / shutter speed yourself (if this will result in an under or overexposed shot, the camera will alert you with some blinking lights in the viewfinder). Then you compose the shot, focus and press the shutter.

Note: Because the particular camera you've linked to comes with an "M" lens, you would only be able to use Metered Manual Mode as Programmed AE requires an "A" lens to function. If you think she might be unsure about using Metered Manual mode, then you can pick up loads of "A" lenses for not much money (e.g. something like this). Metered Manual isn't difficult though, plus it will help you learn how cameras work too.

There's a PDF manual for that camera which covers all the details (password is Pentax) here: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_p30_manual_s.pdf

I've got a Pentax P30T (which is the slightly more advanced version in that it can use auto mode with "A" and "M" lenses) and it's a nice solid performer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Hi,

I guess it depends on how much she knows about using a camera but, yes, that should be fairly straightforward to use.

The Pentax P30 has two main modes of operation:

• Programmed AE Mode - all you have to do is compose the shot, focus, and press the shutter. The camera will select a suitable aperture / shutter speed (see note below).
  • Metered Manual Mode - you choose the aperture / shutter speed yourself (if this will result in an under or overexposed shot, the camera will alert you with some blinking lights in the viewfinder). Then you compose the shot, focus and press the shutter.

Note: Because the particular camera you've linked to comes with an "M" lens, you would only be able to use Metered Manual Mode as Programmed AE requires an "A" lens to function. If you think she might be unsure about using Metered Manual mode, then you can pick up loads of "A" lenses for not much money (e.g. something like this). Metered Manual isn't difficult though, plus it will help you learn how cameras work too.

There's a PDF manual for that camera which covers all the details (password is Pentax) here: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_p30_manual_s.pdf

I've got a Pentax P30T (which is the slightly more advanced version in that it can use auto mode with "A" and "M" lenses) and it's a nice solid performer.

Thank you so so much for all of this. I feel like I'm gaining an understanding off all this stuff now.

I may be back in here though haha.

• Upvote 1

I’ve always thought that if I wanted to dip my toes into the world of film I’d get a refurbed Olympus Trip 35. They look simple and good. 

5 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I’ve always thought that if I wanted to dip my toes into the world of film I’d get a refurbed Olympus Trip 35. They look simple and good. 

Yeah, they are. They're pretty basic in terms of features - zone focusing; only two shutter speeds; very little in the way of manual control - but they sport a nice, sharp f/2.8 lens and if you go out on a bright day with some 400asa film, you can set the focus to the group setting and just fire away - pretty much everything will be in good focus.

A Trip 35 is the first camera I bought when I got back into shooting film.

I've had enough of Adobe pushing their cloud bollocks on me and the terrible library management. Cancelled the subscription and am experimenting with darktable, seems nice but I can't even figure out how to export/save a file!

Also I shamefully caved into an urge and bought a Fujifilm XF 60mm f2.4 Macro lens on eBay after telling myself I'd wait for a decent vintage medium-telephoto.

9 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

I'm liking the look of the trip 35 to be honest.

Does this site seem legit:

https://www.tripman.co.uk/

Or can you recommend where else I could look?  

I've never bought anything from them, but I'm fairly sure it's legit. I've seen them mentioned on various photography sites before (e.g. this post on Kosmo Foto). They're quite expensive, but I guess you are getting a fully refurbished and serviced camera.

• Upvote 1

I've picked up a Sony NEX 6 for mainly vlogging purposes. Came with a 50mm classic lens (on an e-mount adaptor) which doesn't seem to work well for taking many photo types. Seems great for filming though. 

So I have been given a 18-55mm OSS emount kit lens. Which should be compatible with all the features of the camera. Moving forward though, what lenses should I be adding to this to get a good range of photo types? Macro, landscapes wildlife, portrait and maybe even some sports. 

It has been ages since I did photography properly and seem to have forgotten even the basics I learned. So I am not sure if I can get a catch all type of lens like the 18-55 or if they need to all be individual. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:58, bradigor said:

I've picked up a Sony NEX 6 for mainly vlogging purposes. Came with a 50mm classic lens (on an e-mount adaptor) which doesn't seem to work well for taking many photo types. Seems great for filming though. 

So I have been given a 18-55mm OSS emount kit lens. Which should be compatible with all the features of the camera. Moving forward though, what lenses should I be adding to this to get a good range of photo types? Macro, landscapes wildlife, portrait and maybe even some sports. 

It has been ages since I did photography properly and seem to have forgotten even the basics I learned. So I am not sure if I can get a catch all type of lens like the 18-55 or if they need to all be individual. 

Master the 18-55 then you’ll know what you need next. Don’t end up buying loads of lenses that you’ll never use.

39 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Master the 18-55 then you’ll know what you need next. Don’t end up buying loads of lenses that you’ll never use.

Christ no, I couldn't afford to anyway.

Took the camera on a walk today to give it a test. 

Spoiler

6vDTPMW9IWtwOmXUuTYNKQeasHvuPtxgT_MylE_e

nC_3chU6UML6XC3_UqFX1ncSvYqyvurKSIXNm7Rc

VzH8PjNXK9X5ex5rujrhVRCNugCaCJvpRkE4a8Ml

JTZA_B_SohWsXFTLjs6Vt4XXRMkTJnfp_LhDQiy7

t8PclhtQpyGMDtvxlGwwbwPmopKbdhGuNa6AiVmw

OMqaA_CEutulfCiRNe3FDJqzerJlmqCueDUz8rBD

DSFD8UC4-aZgjA6Di2jnSZpTmg4evwCFJSBROBAO

6ZpGiyr2K51MLsaPoTbJ5W6qEAckmQ39kqnhfXkf

• Upvote 3

When I bought my Nikon D80 way back in the mists of time, it came with a Nikon 18-135mm lens and whilst not a great lens I loved it and it's usually my go to lens, I've kept it all these years. I'm only using a D7000 now so not really a big spender on camera equipment.

However it has developed a fault where it won't connect properly to the camera body, I could usually jiggle it about and get a connection but now this doesn't work. My other lenses all connect fine so I assume it's the lens and not the body. Is this something that could be easily fixed or should I look for another lens, in which case would it be worth looking for a second hand 18-135 or should I look for something newer?

@Fletch I guess you have to cost how much to repair, how much to replace (either new model or like for like second hand) or last ditch it and try something new. Being that you like the 18-135mm range I expect you'd not want to walk away from it.

Maybe stating the obvious. How much would you want to spend on a replacement?

You might even be able to sort it yourself - 

Thanks @idiwa I'm not sure I'd be too confident at repairing it myself but on the other hand I don't want to spend loads on what seems something a bit frivolous. The other issue is that this lens isn't produced anymore so getting a replacement is tricky as they'll all be used. 

Is there a more modern replacement for this lens?

On 01/05/2020 at 16:58, bradigor said:

For me personally a macro lens would be the first purchase. It just opens up so many possibilities and can still be used as a normal lens (at the right distance!). So much fun to experiment with - flowers, insects, water droplets etc. I had the Canon 100m 2.8 macro, which also took fantastic portraits from a distance as well as all of the very cool up close shots 

Arguably the next best thing, and a close second, would be a telephoto lens, again for similar reasons.

Just use your 18-55 for most things. It would be lovely to have a 50mm 1.8 or something, but really, that just does pretty much what your other lens does, just better.

Thanks @Sapa will bear that in mind. 

Another question. This came with the camera an old screw in lens on an e-mount adapter.

lens.thumb.jpg.1ff747d4507888aa725ebff93bf86fc0.jpg

I assume that is a f2.0 50mm lens yes? I have to manually focus on the lens alone due to the age, but I assume this will be better for getting a focus on me and blurry background for filming for my channel than the 18-55mm lens that has f4.5 at best. 

The only issue is, I don't think it has anything for shutter speed. No idea what make it is either.