rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I’ve been waiting for this since getting serious about photography. 

I’m rocking a Canon M50 and have a few EF lenses ready for full frame.

Im hoping the R6 is decent as the R5 is going to be mega expensive! 

On 03/07/2020 at 22:15, bradigor said:

My son is after a macro lens and a telephoto. 

I know these are 'vintage' but would they be workable to start out with? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-NEX-E-Mount-DSLR-fit-85mm-210mm-420mm-ZOOM-lens-NEX-5-3-F5-5R-6-VG20-etc/392853032567?hash=item5b77dd8e77:g:oHMAAOSwJp1e9ja5

From what I can tell old lenses tend to be fine especially if he is starting out and people seem to seek out older lenses so it comes down to the specific lens.

Stuff like auto focus motors may be iffy if they even have one but the image quality should be good.

46 minutes ago, probotector said:

I’ve been waiting for this since getting serious about photography. 

I’m rocking a Canon M50 and have a few EF lenses ready for full frame.

Im hoping the R6 is decent as the R5 is going to be mega expensive! 

Yeah, but I know I'm going to suffer from spec jealousy if I opt for an R6 (assuming it actually exists)

• Upvote 1

Hope it does...I read the R6 will be an R replacement and the R5 will be a beastly 5D equivalent :wub:

28 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Cool thanks. 

There are loads of YouTube videos of people experimenting with vintage lenses, search whatever lens you are considering and there will be a hipster having already bought one off eBay to play with!

On 02/07/2020 at 17:18, davadvice1 said:

I'm looking for some advice, I have lightroom classic on 2 devices and I have a server running at home that I can access via vpn. I will be editing images on both my win10 and mac I'm wonder if I should create a share on the server that both access and save my catalogue there. Had anyone got experience with this?

I'm not willing to go to the cloud solution as the cost is too much considering my usage.

Thanks in advance

Feel your pain on this; I tried to set something up between my Mac and my work Mac using Google Drive. It was just a total pain in the arse. I also pissed about with using a Library on a flash drive just to take stuff to work, edit on my lunch and then import back into my home Library. It's do able but it's just a daily pain in the tits. 

Lightroom (non classic) was easier but fuck that shit. :quote:

10 hours ago, idiwa said:

Feel your pain on this; I tried to set something up between my Mac and my work Mac using Google Drive. It was just a total pain in the arse. I also pissed about with using a Library on a flash drive just to take stuff to work, edit on my lunch and then import back into my home Library. It's do able but it's just a daily pain in the tits. 

Lightroom (non classic) was easier but fuck that shit. :quote:

Cheers, this is what I feared ive got a rather large catalog too. I think I'll need to split it and see if I can manage with the 20gb space for current work.

I have use it very infrequently so it may not be so troublesome for me.

15 hours ago, probotector said:

Hope it does...I read the R6 will be an R replacement and the R5 will be a beastly 5D equivalent :wub:

Looking at these announcements with interest as well, seems canon are finally catching up with Nikon and Sony. 

IBIS (in built image stabilization, or the body can reduce camera shake not just the lens) and focus peaking (puts zebra lines around areas in focus to help you with fine focusing and front to back sharpness) are looking great though...

IBIS still strikes me as a video shooters feature which is "nice to have" feature for stills.  I'll definitely take it when it's in all bodies, but it's not a feature I'd run out to upgrade for.  You'll get some longer handheld exposure times out of it (I've seen people say sharp shots at 1/10-1/25) but you'll be in poor light to require those times on a full frame setup and if you are shooting anything which is alive then you'll be getting motion blur from the subject anyway.  

Focus peaking is lovely though.  Did Canon not have that before? 

20 hours ago, probotector said:

CVP have a couple of good videos up: 

The price of that R5 is indeed a bit tasty

The R6 does look very good. wtf is this 2.4GHz only wifi though? On a £2500 camera, that is proper cheapskate bullshit.

I don't like that bloke saying E-O-S. Can someone stop him?

• Upvote 2

I’m had been considering whether a cheap R will be worth getting instead but grey import camera prices are insane right now, If you can get stock :( 

The R has too much about it that's just a bit crap for the price they're asking. I'd take a used 5dMk4 ahead of that.

Think I'll get an R6.  I don't need the advanced video functions and I don't need 45MP or CFExpress.

The only shame is the EVF looks amazing on the R5. But not £1600 amazing.

• Upvote 2

I have a 5d4 and it's amazing, but worth upgrading to the R series? The R and 6 would seem like a weird move for me but the R5 does look rather good. 

I need to see more reviews of the final product, for example low light performance and dynamic range. I'd also like to see some opinions from canon landscape photographers such as Guy Edwards or David Noton, rather than a load of bloggers that seem to be obsessing about the video capabilities. At the moment although it looks like a much better camera than the 5d4 I'm not sure I can justify it when I have zero interest in video. 

So far the R5 looks great but I'm not rushing into anything that costs £4k!

Edit - if it wasn't for the drop from 30 to 20 megapixels, the R6 would look rather good as well next to the 5d4. Hmm

The only thing that could tempt me to upgrade my coming up to 1 year old 5D MkIV any time soon is the eye auto focus. 

Pretty much all of my photography is portrait stuff and so it’s something that I’d really benefit from. However while photography is a nice side line, it’s not one that pays enough for new £4K bodies just a year after buying the last. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Lightroom 6.x to recognise newer RAW formats ? I got the wife a sony rx100 and can't import the RAW files. I tried a trick using exiftool to modify the ARW files, which works on an Alpha7 III but doesn't work on these.

Not keen on paying Adobe £120 a year, don't use it THAT much.

Review of the pre-production Canon R5 from one of the best photographers around, David Noton. 

https://www.davidnoton.com/despatches/3/Canon+EOS-R5+-+The+Field+Trial

Though he is a Canon ambassador he seems to have written a fairly well rounded review and the conclusion is very positive to say the least. 

Interesting that his auto focus experiences on animals are negative when many others have been raving, but pleasing the noise control is very good even at high ISO.

• Upvote 2

Can i ask you knowledgeable folk about batteries. I have a little Canon point and shoot:

https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_sx620_hs/

I was looking at getting a 2nd battery for it so I can always have one charged when we go away next year. The official one is £70!

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-nb-13l-battery-pack/9839B001/?WT.tsrc=NSO-Site

Amazon sell a 3rd party one for £15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSTE-Battery-NB-13L-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B014SJ0NZU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J84MRYK9JXXP&dchild=1&keywords=canon+powershot+sx620+hs+battery&qid=1595943232&sprefix=canon+powershot+sx620+h%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-3

So my question: is the 3rd party one going to be terrible and not hold it's charge (it says it actually has more mAh btw) / potentially damage the camera? Or alternatively is there really no need for a 2nd battery as the one it came with will be plenty to get through a full day of fairly heavy use?

Any advice gratefully received. 

No, it'll be fine. The OEM battery prices are a joke.

• Upvote 2

I carry two third party batteries with my Fuji, mostly because I got a battery  grip for free when I bought the camera body and it takes two additional batteries which weren’t supplied.
Even if I don’t carry the grip with me (which is most of the time) I’ll have the batteries in my camera bag and they get used interchangeably with the OEM battery which was bundled with the camera.  I’ve never noticed any difference with the performance of the third party offerings.  They are branded Patona if that’s any use yo you, I’m sure they’d make Canon fit batteries if they make Fujifilm ones.  

• Upvote 1

Just been looking at the sample photos on the dpreview R6 review.

If that's what 20MP can get you, I am in. I know they used the $1100 L lens for most of them (which I don't want, I want an STM RF lens) but even so, it's ridiculously detailed.

• Upvote 1