Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I've picked up a Sony NEX 6 for mainly vlogging purposes. Came with a 50mm classic lens (on an e-mount adaptor) which doesn't seem to work well for taking many photo types. Seems great for filming though. 

So I have been given a 18-55mm OSS emount kit lens. Which should be compatible with all the features of the camera. Moving forward though, what lenses should I be adding to this to get a good range of photo types? Macro, landscapes wildlife, portrait and maybe even some sports. 

It has been ages since I did photography properly and seem to have forgotten even the basics I learned. So I am not sure if I can get a catch all type of lens like the 18-55 or if they need to all be individual. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:58, bradigor said:

I've picked up a Sony NEX 6 for mainly vlogging purposes. Came with a 50mm classic lens (on an e-mount adaptor) which doesn't seem to work well for taking many photo types. Seems great for filming though. 

So I have been given a 18-55mm OSS emount kit lens. Which should be compatible with all the features of the camera. Moving forward though, what lenses should I be adding to this to get a good range of photo types? Macro, landscapes wildlife, portrait and maybe even some sports. 

It has been ages since I did photography properly and seem to have forgotten even the basics I learned. So I am not sure if I can get a catch all type of lens like the 18-55 or if they need to all be individual. 

Master the 18-55 then you’ll know what you need next. Don’t end up buying loads of lenses that you’ll never use.

39 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Master the 18-55 then you’ll know what you need next. Don’t end up buying loads of lenses that you’ll never use.

Christ no, I couldn't afford to anyway.

Took the camera on a walk today to give it a test. 

Spoiler

6vDTPMW9IWtwOmXUuTYNKQeasHvuPtxgT_MylE_e

nC_3chU6UML6XC3_UqFX1ncSvYqyvurKSIXNm7Rc

VzH8PjNXK9X5ex5rujrhVRCNugCaCJvpRkE4a8Ml

JTZA_B_SohWsXFTLjs6Vt4XXRMkTJnfp_LhDQiy7

t8PclhtQpyGMDtvxlGwwbwPmopKbdhGuNa6AiVmw

OMqaA_CEutulfCiRNe3FDJqzerJlmqCueDUz8rBD

DSFD8UC4-aZgjA6Di2jnSZpTmg4evwCFJSBROBAO

6ZpGiyr2K51MLsaPoTbJ5W6qEAckmQ39kqnhfXkf

When I bought my Nikon D80 way back in the mists of time, it came with a Nikon 18-135mm lens and whilst not a great lens I loved it and it's usually my go to lens, I've kept it all these years. I'm only using a D7000 now so not really a big spender on camera equipment.

However it has developed a fault where it won't connect properly to the camera body, I could usually jiggle it about and get a connection but now this doesn't work. My other lenses all connect fine so I assume it's the lens and not the body. Is this something that could be easily fixed or should I look for another lens, in which case would it be worth looking for a second hand 18-135 or should I look for something newer?

@Fletch I guess you have to cost how much to repair, how much to replace (either new model or like for like second hand) or last ditch it and try something new. Being that you like the 18-135mm range I expect you'd not want to walk away from it.

Maybe stating the obvious. How much would you want to spend on a replacement?

You might even be able to sort it yourself - 

Thanks @idiwa I'm not sure I'd be too confident at repairing it myself but on the other hand I don't want to spend loads on what seems something a bit frivolous. The other issue is that this lens isn't produced anymore so getting a replacement is tricky as they'll all be used. 

Is there a more modern replacement for this lens?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2020 at 16:58, bradigor said:

For me personally a macro lens would be the first purchase. It just opens up so many possibilities and can still be used as a normal lens (at the right distance!). So much fun to experiment with - flowers, insects, water droplets etc. I had the Canon 100m 2.8 macro, which also took fantastic portraits from a distance as well as all of the very cool up close shots 

Arguably the next best thing, and a close second, would be a telephoto lens, again for similar reasons.

Just use your 18-55 for most things. It would be lovely to have a 50mm 1.8 or something, but really, that just does pretty much what your other lens does, just better.

Thanks @Sapa will bear that in mind. 

Another question. This came with the camera an old screw in lens on an e-mount adapter.

lens.thumb.jpg.1ff747d4507888aa725ebff93bf86fc0.jpg

I assume that is a f2.0 50mm lens yes? I have to manually focus on the lens alone due to the age, but I assume this will be better for getting a focus on me and blurry background for filming for my channel than the 18-55mm lens that has f4.5 at best. 

The only issue is, I don't think it has anything for shutter speed. No idea what make it is either. 

16 hours ago, bradigor said:

Thanks @Sapa will bear that in mind. 

Another question. This came with the camera an old screw in lens on an e-mount adapter.

lens.thumb.jpg.1ff747d4507888aa725ebff93bf86fc0.jpg

I assume that is a f2.0 50mm lens yes? I have to manually focus on the lens alone due to the age, but I assume this will be better for getting a focus on me and blurry background for filming for my channel than the 18-55mm lens that has f4.5 at best. 

The only issue is, I don't think it has anything for shutter speed. No idea what make it is either. 

That's a Soviet Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 lens. Most lenses don't tend to have any shutter speed functionality - it's the camera body that usually handles this. Exceptions would be lenses for large format cameras, or older cameras where the shutter is part of the actual lens assembly.

I dodn't do any video work, but I'd assume your auto-focus kit lens might be better for the purpose. On the manual focus lens, if you move position then the shot will be out of focus with no way for the camera to correct matters automatically. If you use the 18-55mm at full zoom and widest aperture (even if it's f/5.6 or something) then you might be able to get a sufficiently OOF background.

If you fancy macro, try getting some extension tubes (or a reversing ring). Both methods will allow you to get true 1:1 macro magnification using your existing lenses, and they cost a fraction of the price of a dedicated macro lens. Alternatively, look for an old macro lens that will fit your E-Mount adapter. It'll probably mean you have to control focus and aperture manually, but that's what you tend to do with macro anyway as it gives much better control.

On the sensor that you have on an NEX, that is basically a 75-80mm equivalent lens, so it’s basically a portrait or short telephoto lens. Certainly not good for a walkabout lens but could sort of be made to work for video - with the camera fixed and very far from you. 

As mentioned above, it won’t change focus while you’re shooting, but that can be a good thing, especially if you’re using the built in mic in your camera, as you can often hear the motor of the lens changing the focus. Not sure if this is true of the NEX, but worth being mindful of. 

Newer lenses also tend to have optical image stabilisation built in which is a must if you’re filming without a tripod. 

• 2 weeks later...

So another lens question. We have a 18-55mm OSS lens for the NEX-6 and want to maybe get a couple more down the line. Especially as my son is getting into photography. His Nanna is buying him a lens and has a £100 budget. So what would people suggest? 

He is wanting a telephoto based lens ideally. But wondering if a prime lens would be better for him?

This is the sort of photography he is doing with the iPhone (I'll be surprising him with the NEX-6 next week).

http://www.lucasmarshphotography.com/

So yeah, something to compliment the 18-55 he has. 

My advice would be to find out exactly what lens would be best for the sort of Photography he enjoys and then research the ones in your price range. Looking at the photos on his website I’d possibly suggest a fast prime lens, maybe a 28mm, 35mm, or 50mm equivalent. However it really depends on where he wants to take his photography next.

I remember when I bought my DSLR with 18-5mm kit lens and thinking I had to have a telephoto. I bought a cheap 55-200mm soon after and then ended up barely using it because I tended towards street photography. I sold it on in the end. By comparison, the f/1.8 35mm prime I bought after that was never off the camera.

Lenses can be expensive, so I wouldn’t rush into buying one within the £100 budget unless there’s something that particularly fits the bill. Better to find the one he really wants (within reason :)) and put the money towards it, even if it means saving up for a while. Better to wait and get a lens you’re really happy with than rush to get something you can afford now but which leaves you wishing you’d waited.

Definitely look at 2nd hand too. You can get a lot more for your money, and there are plenty of reputable places to buy from (e.g. MPB).

• 2 weeks later...

Daft question, but does anyone have any experience with MPB in buying used gear? I’m looking to pick up a lens in the next few days, I know what I want, but how good are they as a service? I’m basically looking at buying a lens for the amount I’ve just sold one for and this puts me in the “excellent” and “like new” bracket. There’s a £30 premium for “like new” item, it’s basically the difference between paying 75% or 80% of the RRP of the lens.  I’m not gonna miss the £30. Is there any reason not to buy “like new”?

I've bought and sold from them and visited their offices (I live near Brighton). Never any complaints from me. Everything has been exactly as they say it will be and I've had no reason to return anything due to faults or not being as described. My dad has used them a few times too with no issues.

Personally, I'd spend the thirty quid on something else so long as the cheaper option is optically fine.

I’ve had a couple of lenses from them with no problems. I also ordered a camera bag and received the wrong one, but they refunded me the full cost, including return shipping, without any issues. I’d happily use them again.

I've just used them this week for the first time. I also wrestled with the excellent or like new, and opted for 'excellent' in the end. The lens I sold made that standard and it was near enough perfect condition. 

The replacement lens arrived, in excellent condition and well packaged. 

Honestly couldn't fault the process. Not sure if you get the best value out of the trade in next to other businesses or of course a private sale, but it works for convenience, speed and service. 

Ps, my trade was a 17-40L f/4 for a 16-35L f/4. I always found the previous lens pretty soft so saw it as an upgrade to the same thing. Hopefully the results will be good and look forward to testing it out! 

I went with “like new” in the end. I sold a Fujifilm 16mm f/1.4 for £600 and have bought the 23 f/1.4 for £604 so I’ve basically broke even in the deal. The 16 is a great lens, I just find the focal length a bit wide for my tastes. 

Edit:

Turned up and if you’d told me it was new then I’d totally have believed you. 

Edited by Naysonymous

I'm looking for some advice, I have lightroom classic on 2 devices and I have a server running at home that I can access via vpn. I will be editing images on both my win10 and mac I'm wonder if I should create a share on the server that both access and save my catalogue there. Had anyone got experience with this?

I'm not willing to go to the cloud solution as the cost is too much considering my usage.

Thanks in advance

I’ve been waiting for this since getting serious about photography. 

I’m rocking a Canon M50 and have a few EF lenses ready for full frame.

Im hoping the R6 is decent as the R5 is going to be mega expensive! 

On 03/07/2020 at 22:15, bradigor said:

My son is after a macro lens and a telephoto. 

I know these are 'vintage' but would they be workable to start out with? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-NEX-E-Mount-DSLR-fit-85mm-210mm-420mm-ZOOM-lens-NEX-5-3-F5-5R-6-VG20-etc/392853032567?hash=item5b77dd8e77:g:oHMAAOSwJp1e9ja5

From what I can tell old lenses tend to be fine especially if he is starting out and people seem to seek out older lenses so it comes down to the specific lens.

Stuff like auto focus motors may be iffy if they even have one but the image quality should be good.

46 minutes ago, probotector said:

I’ve been waiting for this since getting serious about photography. 

I’m rocking a Canon M50 and have a few EF lenses ready for full frame.

Im hoping the R6 is decent as the R5 is going to be mega expensive! 

Yeah, but I know I'm going to suffer from spec jealousy if I opt for an R6 (assuming it actually exists)

28 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Cool thanks. 

There are loads of YouTube videos of people experimenting with vintage lenses, search whatever lens you are considering and there will be a hipster having already bought one off eBay to play with!

On 02/07/2020 at 17:18, davadvice1 said:

I'm looking for some advice, I have lightroom classic on 2 devices and I have a server running at home that I can access via vpn. I will be editing images on both my win10 and mac I'm wonder if I should create a share on the server that both access and save my catalogue there. Had anyone got experience with this?

I'm not willing to go to the cloud solution as the cost is too much considering my usage.

Thanks in advance

Feel your pain on this; I tried to set something up between my Mac and my work Mac using Google Drive. It was just a total pain in the arse. I also pissed about with using a Library on a flash drive just to take stuff to work, edit on my lunch and then import back into my home Library. It's do able but it's just a daily pain in the tits. 

Lightroom (non classic) was easier but fuck that shit. :quote: