rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

46 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

15 Megapixels should still be more than enough though unless huge prints are required and, as you say, those 15 megapixels will be higher quality from a bigger sensor with less noise.

Sorry yeah, thats what I was trying to get at!

On 05/07/2019 at 09:21, PopeSmokesDope said:

Your sensor is like a bucket in the garden when it rains.. the bigger the bucket (Sensor)  the more rain (light)  it catches.

You could always get a big funnel (speed booster) for your bucket and absorb just as much rain.

I'd have generally agreed with the sensor size argument up until recently but I've been playing with the Blackmagic Pocket 4K and been blown away with the quality of the footage from its micro 4/3rd sensor. Sharp at 4K with decent glass, hardly any noise even at low light. It's almost indistinguishable from the Alexa footage I normally work with which, given it costs around 1/80th of the price is just crazy. 

I'm thinking of moving back up again from my Canon M3, I want to stay within Canon as I like their feel and look.

Drifting between the 77d, 800d and 80d. 

Main problem I can see is that all three are pretty old, with the 80d being the oldest. Any idea when a refresh is up and coming?

Very are doing 10% off right now on top of the summer cash back....I can get a 800d for about £550 and a 77d for £650...

On 08/07/2019 at 21:48, probotector said:

I'm thinking of moving back up again from my Canon M3, I want to stay within Canon as I like their feel and look.

Drifting between the 77d, 800d and 80d. 

Main problem I can see is that all three are pretty old, with the 80d being the oldest. Any idea when a refresh is up and coming?

Very are doing 10% off right now on top of the summer cash back....I can get a 800d for about £550 and a 77d for £650...

What do you want to with the camera? Where do you feel the M3 is letting you down?

Digital stills tech in DSLRs is pretty mature and there hasn't really been any advancements in a while now. If you're going APS-C then any of the 24MP bodies are good enough.

I use a six year old Nikon 24MP APS-C body for example and wouldn't get any better image quality by upgrading to something more recent.

The advancements are happening in video, and if you want that you're probably better off sticking with mirrorless than a DSLR.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

I’m thinking of getting serious and getting some training and getting into portrait and product photography and DSLR opens up more lens choices plus look more professional if that makes sense.

I want a massive lens and a big ass camera lol

17 hours ago, probotector said:

I’m thinking of getting serious and getting some training and getting into portrait and product photography and DSLR opens up more lens choices plus look more professional if that makes sense.

You're going to want full frame then and also look into lighting solutions.

Second hand Canon 5dmk2+ 50mm f1.8 is just about on your budget and will get you going for portraits in natural light. On the mirrorless side a Sony A7mk1+ 50mm is also just about in your budget.

• Upvote 1

Sigma have announced a very small full-frame body using the L-Mount system:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/11/20690392/sigma-fp-camera-full-frame-mirrorless-smallest

I'd question how good the handling can possibly be with anything other than a pancake lens. There is a grip attachment. Might be interesting for people doing video, as you're going to build a system around it anyway so the ergonomics don't really matter.

Isn't it one of those products which are as much about generating publicity as actually being a thing they want to sell loads of?  The same guts will probably go in a more conventional body in a few months and maybe people will be more aware of it because of the weird camera which paved the way. 

On 10/07/2019 at 15:38, probotector said:

Just be wary that massive lenses are very hard to use.

I've got a 600mm lens and for years I've not been using it. I've started making a concentrated effort over the last few weeks and am really struggling with it as you need to keep the lens absolutely still and it picks up the tiniest of movements. I know the lens itself is fine as a friend used it to take some great shots. I clearly have a naff technique and I've been taking photos for years now. I'm the very definition of 'all the gear, absolutely no idea' :lol:

When I say, big fuck off lens, I thinking 300mm max!

A friend is selling a 5d mk3 for £650 body only? Lens ain’t that expensive 2nd hand and plentiful? Only thing I’m worried about is lack of comfort features like WiFi/Bluetooth/nfc but it does have dual memory card slots and it’s full frame...

So my choice is 

600d brand new for about £550 body only

5d good condition body only £650....

For portrait you're going to want an 85mm  fast prime.

300mm will no use for portrait or product photography really.. you'll have to stand so far back it would be extremely awkward.

go with the 5d at that price... a complete steal!

• Upvote 1

Fuck!

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sony-announces-new-alpha-7r-iv-proper-rival-medium-format-390369

Very very tempting... mainly for the 15 stops of dynamic range...

I've actually been considering getting a Sony for a while... we had a talk at the camera club from one of their shooters and some of the results they were getting were stunning...

The ability to use my canon lenses with it is also a massive bonus.

2 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Fuck!

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sony-announces-new-alpha-7r-iv-proper-rival-medium-format-390369

I've actually been considering getting a Sony for a while... we had a talk at the camera club from one of their shooters and some of the results they were getting were stunning...

Followed the stories on this yesterday. Very tempted.

On 17/07/2019 at 08:20, PopeSmokesDope said:

Fuck!

Lovely hyperbolic headline there. It's akin to Panasonic releasing a 40 megapixel micro-four-thirds camera and calling it a proper rival to full frame.

On 17/07/2019 at 08:20, PopeSmokesDope said:

Fuck!

I almost changed myself from the Canon system to Sony, however after much research and testing I moved from the 5D3 to the 5D4. The issue with the Sony system clearly isn't the image quality, but the handling and build-quality is someway behind Canon in my opinion. Things may have changed with this new release, of course. A lot of the review sites pixel-peep to find the most minute issue but for the most part the 5d4 is doing everything I want (if I was starting afresh now I'd probably get the Nikon 850 though!).

Still, crazy specs Sony are putting out. I hope Canon's next set of Pro SLRs begin to catch-up again. 

Shooting a car commercial at the moment. This is an Alexa Mini on the end of a russian arm mounted to a reflection free Porsche Cayenne. Nice little camera car. 

5321856A-6447-458F-A657-2295E957E3E4.thumb.jpeg.429daee1d0a5969e88c097a8df023046.jpeg

• Upvote 5

On 18/09/2018 at 00:49, Naysonymous said:

I quite like Sean Tucker's YouTube channel: 

Just replaced a 10 year old Canon Eos 450D with a Canon 250D as I want to get back into photography. Always been a trial and error man but found that video really useful. Anyone got any other decent videos that explain the basics? I’ve always been pretty good at framing a shot but everything else is more luck than design. Was going to pick up a Tamron long lens for starters. Previous one was fine but are there better options out there for similar?

Search the model of your camera and you'll probably find something, beyond that I guess it depends on what you are into. Landscape photography is a very different ballgame to portraiture or street.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Just replaced a 10 year old Canon Eos 450D with a Canon 250D as I want to get back into photography. Always been a trial and error man but found that video really useful. Anyone got any other decent videos that explain the basics? I’ve always been pretty good at framing a shot but everything else is more luck than design. Was going to pick up a Tamron long lens for starters. Previous one was fine but are there better options out there for similar?

Take a look at Mike Browne's Youtube channel. He has loads of tutorial videos that are delivered in a friendly and easy to follow format.

https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2019 at 09:48, Stopharage said:

I’ve always been pretty good at framing a shot...

Doesn't sound as though you have anything to worry about then !

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2019 at 18:44, Naysonymous said:

Search the model of your camera and you'll probably find something, beyond that I guess it depends on what you are into. Landscape photography is a very different ballgame to portraiture or street.  

This. As a Landscape photographer i'd say Landscapes technically are by far the easiest. The hard bit is getting into position at the right time (I left my bed at 2:30 this morning for what was eventually a waste of time) and getting the right conditions (out of your control)

• Upvote 1

Landscape can be the most disappointing too.  Went on the lookout for something in particular in Brum tonight and after a couple of hours came home empty handed.  Still had a nice time, but that's how it goes sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

I don't go out with a particular mindset. When I'm out in Birmingham with my camera I'll do street, portraits, landscapes, abstracts etc - whatever is interesting.

18 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I was looking for the Bob Holness graffiti. It's in Aston somewhere. 

Ask Colatron on Instagram ?

Looks amazing on his post.

I think I’ve slowly been bitten by the bug. I’ve spent all week on YouTube researching and learning about the ins and outs of photography.

Im going to stick with my M3 a bit longer and concentrate on building up on EF lenses and switching to full frame next year! 

just ordered an adapter and an EF-50 as very sent me a £50 code so I’ve got the lens for £50 brand new!

• Upvote 2

I've been scanning negatives (on a cheap flatbed) and occasionally I've noticed this:

hair.thumb.jpg.1035e2c3390c691e95b475d283ad3369.jpg

It's not a hair or dust - as that should be showing as white. I suspect it's on the negative itself, like a hair-shaped scratch (it is definitely on b/w negs I've checked but on colour it's hard to see). Any idea what would be causing it?

18 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

It's not a hair or dust - as that should be showing as white. I suspect it's on the negative itself, like a hair-shaped scratch (it is definitely on b/w negs I've checked but on colour it's hard to see). Any idea what would be causing it?

Is it the same on multiple images? If so, it could be some debris inside the camera, probably close to the film plane. I've got a couple of cameras that produce regular artifacts on the photos. I've managed to track down the cause sometimes (in one case there was a tiny bit of fluff inside the camera), but often they can be so small to the naked eyy to be hard to find. A good blast with a rocket-blower might clear it out if that's the cause.

1 hour ago, FishyFish said:

Is it the same on multiple images? If so, it could be some debris inside the camera, probably close to the film plane. I've got a couple of cameras that produce regular artifacts on the photos. I've managed to track down the cause sometimes (in one case there was a tiny bit of fluff inside the camera), but often they can be so small to the naked eyy to be hard to find. A good blast with a rocket-blower might clear it out if that's the cause.

No. It’s not in the camera. It’s different each time and only occasionally there. Most photos are fine. It always looks like dust or hair but is actually “a scratch” in that the emulsion is removed or white.

I’m not too bothered about that particular photo as it’s easy to fix and a pretty dull photo anyway.