rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Ok, so what's the Nikon D40 like then. Jessops are doing them for about £330-ish and you get something like £60 cash back by redeeming from Nikon themselves so ultimately it's about £280.

I read that the D40 can only use lenses that have there own autofocus motors. Are they stupidly expensive?

Also is not having depth of field preview that important? I mean the picture is going to appear on the LCD once you've take it so you could adjust and take the photo again right? or is it something entirely different?

Bear in mind I am a Digital SLR novice. I don't know shit.

I know in some respects there's not much point replacing cameras till they break, and it's still a decent bit of kit, but there seemed something just wrong about a fellow photographer at a festival I covered last weekened having a 70-200 f2.8L lens stuck on a silver 300D :S

I know in some respects there's not much point replacing cameras till they break, and it's still a decent bit of kit, but there seemed something just wrong about a fellow photographer at a festival I covered last weekened have £1200 worth of 70-200 f2.8L lens stuck on a silver 300D :S

Why tho ?

My 30D isnt really any better PQ wise than my 300D. It obv has many other advanteges but i would say the glass is far more important than the body when you hit DSLR levels.

Still send me his details, i can do a swapsies for my 70-200F4, more suited to his body ^_^

The last (only) festival I did was just little me and my 350d with 50mm f1.8 cheapy lens. The other guy I was with had about £4ks worth of gear. He was pulling out the stops too. Jumping over barriers and sneaking backstage.

Shame his pictures SUCKED. lol.

Ok, so what's the Nikon D40 like then. Jessops are doing them for about £330-ish and you get something like £60 cash back by redeeming from Nikon themselves so ultimately it's about £280.

I read that the D40 can only use lenses that have there own autofocus motors. Are they stupidly expensive?

Also is not having depth of field preview that important? I mean the picture is going to appear on the LCD once you've take it so you could adjust and take the photo again right? or is it something entirely different?

Bear in mind I am a Digital SLR novice. I don't know shit.

I think it's brilliant. I think a 70-300 Vibration Reduction Zoom for it is about £300? It does restrict you to Sigma HSM and Nikon AF-S lenses, but how many lenses are you going to use? If you get the bug big time you can always upgrade to a D80 / D200 whatever if you need more lenses.

I know in some respects there's not much point replacing cameras till they break, and it's still a decent bit of kit, but there seemed something just wrong about a fellow photographer at a festival I covered last weekened having a 70-200 f2.8L lens stuck on a silver 300D :S

Check my sig :lol:

Money doesn't grow on trees as they say and as Shimmy points out glass is where it's at.

Jesus :lol: I'm not trying to mortally offend everyone (and am using the Nikon equivalent camera myself in the D50, and what's obviously a vastly inferior lens in the Sigma 24-70 2.:), just saying I found it amusing to see - thanks to Canon's colouring choices - what's blatantly obvious as the pairing of top and bottom of the range.

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 if you want a dedicated macro, maybe even second hand?

You can also use an extension tube for your 70-200 L IS, which can work as a macro as well.

Haven't really looked at them, but definitely something to check out.

I'd guess that a dedicated macro lens wil perform the best though, but just compare the results, and look at what you need for your situation.

Get tubes as Rev said.

60mm is a little short for macro work in my opinion. Aim for the canon or sigma 100/105 but both out of budget. Tubes on a lens do a brill job but are just not as easy to live with as a dedicated lens. My dev art page has a few pics taken with normal lens + ext tubes.

Ok so...

1.) Gear matters much much less than most people think. I'm channeling Ken Rockwell here, but I think he's 100% right on this one, really.

2.) Dodgy £25 quid Argos Tripod that I (rarely) use >>> no tripod at all because you don't want to spend £150

3.) ML-3 release is fine for Nikon's. Not perfect, but again, mess around, it costs like £19.99

4.) The problem with the D40 is that you can't use the cheap Nikon Primes, like the excellent 50mm f/1.8. Which, incidentally, you should buy Playdoh. I use it more than any other lens on my D80, and I have the 18-200 VR.

5.) Tamron do some great great f/2.8s for about 1/3rd the price of equivalent Nikons. f/2.8 fixed aperature are the standard for serious photojournalism and excellent in low light. I don't have one, but they get great reviews and are just SO CHEAP!

6.) An external flash was the best thing I ever bought. With the SB-600 I can shoot in whatever light I want and get well balanced results. Nikon iTTL is insanely smart. On the D70/D80 you can shoot with this off camera (even out of direct line of sight) using the built in flash as a commander, for some excellent Strobist.com style action. I LOVE hand holding the flash and messing around with lighting from different angles. Not sure if the newer SB-400 can slave like this, if not, pay the extra! Got mine on eBay grey import for $cheap.

7.) Not quite equipment, but this AMAZING plug in just got released for Firefox yesterday: www.piclens.com. You can thank me later. Or now. ;)

Yeah I agree about the flash, was using one with one the other day and it was great. I'm now in the market for one, but don't wanna go crazy money. Sub £50 Suggestions?

EDIT: Crikey, didn't realise a flash could be so expensive ;)

Thanks Shimmy and RHP. I'm wary of extension tubes as it removes AF, and the subject has to be really close to the lens.

You dont use AF on macro work even if the lens has it.

Subject being close is down to lens reach, the 60mm Macro would need you right on top of the subject. A longer lens + tubes will not need to be really close.

I should be buying a new lens this weekend, a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO or the APO version. The Apo version is £170, but the non APO version is £100. Quite a difference there. I'm currently cruising ebay for a prime lens. A 25 or 50mm minolta branded prime lens will cost anywhere between £5 and £70 on ebay by the looks of things, compared to £200+ for a lens advertised as being A Sony Alpha lens even though they both use the same mounting system ^_^

Will not having APO make a massive difference?

I should be buying a new lens this weekend, a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO or the APO version. The Apo version is £170, but the non APO version is £100. Quite a difference there. I'm currently cruising ebay for a prime lens. A 25 or 50mm minolta branded prime lens will cost anywhere between £5 and £70 on ebay by the looks of things, compared to £200+ for a lens advertised as being A Sony Alpha lens even though they both use the same mounting system ^_^

Will not having APO make a massive difference?

I'd go for the APO if you can, it really is a very good lens. I've had two versions of it over the years and sharpness is equal to a lens twice the price.

I'd go for the APO if you can, it really is a very good lens. I've had two versions of it over the years and sharpness is equal to a lens twice the price.

I did indeed order the APO, as due to forthcoming birthday mone, I'm only paying for half -_-

Neither of my two local jessops have the lens in stock though so I've hard to order from warehouse express. I was going to get jessops to price match them (£156 vs £180) so its no big loss. I really wanted to use it tonight and this weekend though :( Still, I've got a whole week off after tommorow :)

I did indeed order the APO, as due to forthcoming birthday mone, I'm only paying for half -_-

Neither of my two local jessops have the lens in stock though so I've hard to order from warehouse express. I was going to get jessops to price match them (£156 vs £180) so its no big loss. I really wanted to use it tonight and this weekend though :( Still, I've got a whole week off after tommorow :)

Good choice, hope you take some great shots with it.

I wont use a lens without a uv filter (unless using say, a polariser). Much easier to spend £15 on a "plain" filter then replacing the lens. Of course there is a risk of the filter breakiung all over the lens, but I'd say the risk is minimal compared to scratching the lens to shit without the filter

Speaking of filters, I'm starting to look at using some square filters as I think I'm going to have to start using grads. I found a seller on ebay doing some of them them quite cheaply:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sdrphotographic_W...9QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Just been reading through some photgraphy sites and I keep seeing Holga's appearing, had a look on ebay, but what is so special about them? Do they give good results? And who would you take medium format film to, to get it developed? Anyone got any shots from one?

Just been reading through some photgraphy sites and I keep seeing Holga's appearing, had a look on ebay, but what is so special about them? Do they give good results? And who would you take medium format film to, to get it developed? Anyone got any shots from one?

They are often known as 'toy cameras'. Check them out on Flickr. They are fun to use and create some interesting shots but you couldn't say they are 'high quality'. I have one with the special Holgaroid polaroid back which is great. No examples scanned in to show at the moment though i'm afraid. Most places will process the film I think, sothat shouldn't be a problem. They can also be modified to take standard 35mm film, but I wouldn't bother if you can avoid it.

410471804_47390304d0.jpg

They give great results, but I wouldn't really recommend one unless you can get darkroom access. Because they are technically shit cameras, and I've had to do a lot to some of my prints to make photos 'work'.