rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

6D body for £749 after price match and canons cashback :ohttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/canon-6d-body-only-for-749-after-john-lewis-price-match-150-summer-cashback-from-1934777

Really tempted but I don't think I'd do it justice, is there much of a reason for the step up for a non pro user over a 600D? I doubt it tbh.

Got a little bit excited there. Seems only the original poster managed to get them to price match the online retailer though.

Yeah, I was posting it yesterday evening but forgot about it in the tab and just posted it this morning, in that time it seems like John Lewis has wised up :( Could be worth buying it and not opening it and then returning it if it's not honoured.

I bought a couple of filters for my lenses earlier in the week and they arrived this morning, they are made of metal and seem well made. Amazing for the price imo http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320755990888

is there much of a reason for the step up for a non pro user over a 600D? I doubt it tbh.

I was looking at a website last week where a pro photographer put this to the test and I think it was a 600D he used, cheap speedlights, but set the shot up like he would as a professional shoot, and the results were amazing. A friend of mine, Mike King, is a well known sports photographer, and his favourite shot was taken on a 2mp camera:

9409300813_8591f1bf74_z.jpgOh Superman... by mikekingphoto, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

6D body for £749 after price match and canons cashback :ohttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/canon-6d-body-only-for-749-after-john-lewis-price-match-150-summer-cashback-from-1934777

Really tempted but I don't think I'd do it justice, is there much of a reason for the step up for a non pro user over a 600D? I doubt it tbh.

Depends what you're photographing really, but the controls are better. That'd be worth the extra if that deal was real.

Hi,

has anyone used http://www.lensfettish.com ?

Or can recommend someone good to hire lenses from in London? I'm doing some venue shots on Friday and really could do with a wide angle lens, and I've seen good reviews of the Nikon 10-24 lens and Lensfettish are saying £35 - it'll arrive Thursday and I have to return it Monday. Gives me the weekend to have some fun with it too :)

£35 just seems a lot cheaper than I'd have thought it'd be. I'd love to own the 10-24 but realistically I probably only need it for specific shoots, which is why hire would make sense.

I've used these guys before: http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/ and it was all fine and dandy. Really nice and easy, I think I added courier pickup return for £20, which was worth it for me for the simplicity. Otherwise you can organise your own courier return. I haven't looked at the one you linked, so don't know how it compares. There was another site, http://www.hireacamera.com/lens_hire/ that one I think, which was a bit cheaper but needed a deposit.

Hiring seems like a good plan. You can think of it like a test drive as well as just getting the job at hand done.

• Upvote 1

I'm checking out another rental place because you effectively double your rental charge once you factor in couriers. There's on in London that you can pick up from. It's worth checking those guys you linked to out though as their range is much better and I've struggled to find someone in London that has the lens I want.

It's nice to know how cheap renting lenses is though, especially if you're getting paid for the work, you can offset the cost. Assuming the rental goes well and the lens is right, I think it'd take a lot of jobs with this particular lens before you could say it was worth buying the lens....

...but that said sometimes you don't know you need a lens until you're there thinking about a photo :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I've actually put a request in with them, it's just that they want a LOT of paperwork and ID and a big deposit.

It's weird because, that's for someone that's actually going to walk in and pick it up in person. Doing it online seems to have about as much verification as buying something off of Amazon so it's a bit weird but I think it's more surprising that Lenses for Hire don't rather than Calumet do.

I've gone with Lens For Hire, so I look forward to giving the wide angle a go.

It's obviously more expensive, but there's something to be said for the fact that the lens comes to me and so does the courier for the return. I guess if you had a few lenses to rent in one go the cost would be even better.

Their range is quite good so I can see myself picking some weirder lenses just for some fun and experimentation.

I just won a 7D on ebay!

I've recently really enjoyed taking photos of birds in flight (I'm by no means a twitcher) and having just purchased the a6000 it's been very good at capturing fast moving objects aided by the 11fps. However, I've not been able to get anywhere near close enough due to the kit lens only having a 210mm reach.

Sony is massively limited when it comes to lenses and so I was looking at getting a metabones speed booster and a canon 400mm lens. This however would hamper my autofocus. So I threw caution to the wind and bought a 7D!

Does anybody else have a 7D and can pass on any hints tips about the camera (especially for shooting BIF)?

Wow! What a brilliant first post. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to explain all that, it's much appreciated.

I've already pulled the trigger on a 400mm f5/6 L USM. I've been told it's a good starter lens that produces sharper images over canons zoom lenses. It arrives next week. Until then I've just borrowed my mums 24-105mm so I can have a play.

Ok couple of questions as I'm sat here now messing with the controls.

Firstly a noob question, how do I set all these settings to a Custom dial? Say for example C1. As when I'm changing them in Av mode won't they stay saved to Av mode until I change? So do I have to set whilst in C1?

Back to your settings advice now. I've found how to switch the centre point on as it was grey'd out before, but I'm not sure how you switch the AF assist points on or even where or what that setting is?

And last but not least, Tripods. I haven't got one but would very much like to buy one. Any recommendations?

Many thanks

EDIT: Also do you recommend using a teleconverter and if so which one?

Again, thanks a lot Cutter. If you need your back fixing and you live in the Northwest, I'm your man (4th Generation Osteopath) I'd be happy to fix it for free.

I've worked out how to do the Center point AF with assist points but I'll RTFM to figure the rest out, cheers ;)

• Upvote 1

I've got the 6D which is the cheaper version, same sensor but less funky auto focus.

It has a built in GPS for automatic geotagging and I can live view wirelessly to my phone, which is handy for stuff on occasion.

Again thanks Cutter. I was actually round at my Mums this evening Boris and I tried the 400mm on the 6D. Even though it's FF it still produced much sharper images than on my 7D when we compared them which made me firstly think I should maybe get my second hand 7D cleaned or upgrade to a FF (or wait to see what the 7D mark 2 brings)

What's are your thoughts on this Cutter? Better to go FF and crop or stay APSC and loose some IQ?

The 7D always had an idiosyncratic sensor. Noisy but sharp, unless you got it in the wrong conditions and then it went a bit weird. The 50D was very similar, if a bit worse, and I didn't get on with that at all.

If you're birding, it's usually best to just throw money at the problem.

Well you don't actually get any more reach with a crop sensor over a full frame. It's just the whole canvas you're taking the photo on is bigger so it looks smaller.

• Upvote 1

Well you don't actually get any more reach with a crop sensor over a full frame. It's just the whole canvas you're taking the photo on is bigger so it looks smaller.

This is true, but isn't it the case that the pixel density is higher. For two equivalent 16mp sensors, the pixels are all in the DX region for the DX camera, but dispersed across the FX sensor, so relatively few in the DX region. Cropping the FX to the DX region will therefore result in a smaller file size. My understanding is that this is why people who exclusively want more "reach" use DX cameras.

Mp isn't really much of an indicator tbh (there's an argument that anything above 12mp is pointless unless you're planning on printing out at a1), with a smaller sensor and more pixels you introduce more noise, bigger sensors are less noisy and because of that offer better high ISO performance

People tend to buy the crop sensors for longer reach because they don't really want to shell out 5k on a pro camera as the 5k's and Nikon versions don't have the same fps and or autofocus of something like the 7d (well the 5dmk3 does)

Look at any pro sports tog and they'll be using a full frame pro camera with their long lens's

So what's the equivalent full frame camera to the 7D that retains the fps and fast autofocus?

I went from a 40d to 5d3 and haven't really noticed a drop in fps....the difference in reach is only really noticeable through the viewfinder as when looking via the LCD or on a screen you can zoom and crop for seemingly ever without loss of detail...

I'll be able to give a better view after Sunday as I'm heading to RIAT with my 5d , 70-200 2.8 and 1.4 extender....

Who can give me the "Landscapes 101"? I'm going to the beach at lowtide around sunset tomorrow, and I will probably be taking NO DOGS (!!!!!)

This is not a thing that has happened before. I'm 100% mentally geared towards shooting fast moving, uncooperative subjects that are quite close to me. I have no idea how to deal with this 'stuff that doesn't move' stuff. I have no tripod to speak of (just a little gorilla pod thing) but I'll wing it somehow, and only my kit lens and a 35mm. I *think* I have a gradient filter somewhere but it gets absolutely no use in my dog photoging so I will have to search around to find it.

What can I do with what I've got?

edit: Oh, I'm going here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=saltwick+bay+shipwreck&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wHq-U4qOMvGw7AbAuoGwCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=961#imgdii=_

edit 2: And also the idea of shooting at a high aperture is bewildering. It's funny how set in a mentality you can get. The mentality of 'capture that dog before it zooms past and is gone' aka 'I need ALLLLL the light' , the mentality of 'must have bokehhhhhh'