rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I've never understood why higher end cameras have both SD and CF slots? I can understand two slots of the same type I.e. Nikon D7100 but to have one SD one CF seems stupid, surely CF is a legacy product now and you'd be better off with a smaller SD card?

You write raw to one and jpg to the other at the same time. Usefull for quick proofing stuff on say an ipad or something.

Thought of the 6d but wanted the higher fps of the mk3

Although I mainly do landscape I also do a lot of family stuff so that helps with the kids running round and what not.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I understand the theory of having a backup but I don't understand why the second slot is cf rather than SD card? Surely CF is almost obsolete now?

CF is a lot more robust, and being big is a real asset for flash memory. The way they get 64GB on a tiny card it by storing multiple bits per cell, increasing the density of the electrical components to the point where their write endurance becomes very poor, and even read endurance starts to become an issue.

Do some Googling for industrial grade Single Level Cell (SLC) cards, and you'll see they cap out at about 16Gb, as that's all there's space for. CF by comparison goes up to 64GB before they go MLC.

That said, I'm sure the Sandisk Extreme CFs are probably MLC these days, but X2 at worst, which isn't bad. Modern SD cards are typically X3, which brings the endurance down by another order of magnitude.

Other reason - pros already have a large investment in CF cards.

Interestingly, I think the Pentax 645D digital medium format is SD only.

• Upvote 1

first shot, just me trying out the low light capabilities.. was a bit hungover yesterday so couldn't be bothered to go out, so shot this out of my sons bedroom window..... this is at 25600 iso, for Milky way stuff I'll be using 3200 'ish... very very impressed with what it can do though.... clear night tonight, but unfortunately i'm out drinking again.....

13005222294_0a97ca2d0a_b.jpg

CF is a lot more robust, and being big is a real asset for flash memory. The way they get 64GB on a tiny card it by storing multiple bits per cell, increasing the density of the electrical components to the point where their write endurance becomes very poor, and even read endurance starts to become an issue.

Do some Googling for industrial grade Single Level Cell (SLC) cards, and you'll see they cap out at about 16Gb, as that's all there's space for. CF by comparison goes up to 64GB before they go MLC.

That said, I'm sure the Sandisk Extreme CFs are probably MLC these days, but X2 at worst, which isn't bad. Modern SD cards are typically X3, which brings the endurance down by another order of magnitude.

Other reason - pros already have a large investment in CF cards.

Interestingly, I think the Pentax 645D digital medium format is SD only.

They're physically robust too. I've got one with a massive dent in it that I don't use "just in case" and then inevitably have to use it every single time and it's always been perfect. I've had a couple go through the washing machine without any noticeable side-effects too.

Unrelated - I used a 1Ds mkII the other day. Those are/were some really weird controls. Made my 5D2 seem like a world of luxury when I got home.

Pope, if you don't need the AF of the 5D mk III, wouldn't you just be as good off (slightly better) with the 6D? Would save you quite a bunch, though I'm assuming you've looked at this already :)

Is the 6D forum recommended? I know I could just Google some reviews, which I will, but love to hear from forumites too. I have an old Olympus thing that I bought from here that I can pass on as I've a few other cameras that out perform it. The 5D3 is crazy money, and I ain't feeling too crazy at the moment :D

Is the 6D forum recommended? I know I could just Google some reviews, which I will, but love to hear from forumites too. I have an old Olympus thing that I bought from here that I can pass on as I've a few other cameras that out perform it. The 5D3 is crazy money, and I ain't feeling too crazy at the moment :D

Wifi vs FPS.

Indoors vs Outdoors

Price vs Slightly-more-professionalness.

There's not really a right answer. I think I'd lean towards a 6D, but I don't really think either are worth upgrading from a 5D2 for, however shit that is at AF.

• Upvote 1

Great article. Thanks for posting. Had a 7D for four years and it's better than me. :-)

First proper day out shooting with it ( a family party)... fuck me, the 5DmkIII is a fucking BEAST! Night and day difference between the 40d and this. Much much larger dynamic range... just going through the photos, on the 40d I'd have blown highlights left right and center when shooting outdoors in the bright sunshine, this thing just fucking handles it all.

The noise on high iso is astonishing... before I'd been having to reduce noise like mad on 1600, I haven't even bothered.

And the auto-focus... fuck knows how they do it, I'm guessing goblins or something. It just fucking works.

Oh and it's turned my 24-70 into my lens of choice. Perfect range for me and perfect as a walkaround lens. Nice and wide (same as 15mm on the sigma 10-20 on my 40d) and long enough at 70 for most things.

I have to keep reminding myself that the 40d 1.6 didn't actually give me more reach, it's exactly the same, just there's more of it on the 5d

Only downside, I need more memory cards. 16gb doesn't last long!

• Upvote 1

You can't do noticeably better at the moment as far as I can see. The extra lens will be a bit shit, but you're not really paying for it compared to other places.

The 18-55mm is unexciting but totally functional. The other is what I refer to as a Duck Lens. As it's realistically only going to be used for taking photos of ducks on a pond.

Any suggestions on a semi-decent waterproof camera that will only ever get very occasional use for holiday snaps? I was using an old canon point & shoot I had lying around, with a waterproof pouch but would prefer a proper waterproofed camera this time.

I have a Panasonic TS-2/FT-2 from a few years back, and it's a mixed bag. Design is pretty good, with exposure compensation easily accessible, and it's lived up to its indestructable billing, having been used in the sea, wading through rivers, tramping etc. However, the lens is merely OK at the wide end and mediocre/poor at the long end, to the degree that I pretty much gave up zooming, and the sensor was a casualty of the megapixel wars - 14mp on a 1/2.33" sensor doesn't make for good high ISO performance, and the fairly slow lens means you'll end up shooting at higher ISO. If I was buying today, I'd get the Olympus TG-2 for the f/2.0 lens.

DPreview do a round-up fairly frequently - here's one from mid 2013.

It'll only ever get used once in a blue moon, so I don't want to be paying too much. Thanks for the advice though

5d mk3 ordered :) need to sort out new remote relases and stuff now....

I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy one. Wish someone would drop the price just a tad.

Annoying that I'm going to have to ditch all my EF-S lenses. I have an ultra-sharp Sigma 30mm f1.4 which will have to go. :-(

Brown trousers time..... I've got almost 4TB of photos stored in Lightroom.... the vast vast majority I don;t want, everything I want I've flagged and uploaded to flickr, so I'm going through deleting all the unflagged ones... I've checked and double checked i'm not deleting ones I wan to keep, but still very worying!

I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy one. Wish someone would drop the price just a tad.

Annoying that I'm going to have to ditch all my EF-S lenses. I have an ultra-sharp Sigma 30mm f1.4 which will have to go. :-(

Can't see the price dropping until a Mk4 is announces which wont be for another 2 years.... Mk2 was the same....

If it's any help, It's worth it!

• Upvote 1

nah, I blew 'em away :)

Loads were from football matches from 2009 etc, stuff that's already elsewhere in the cloud and stuff I don't actually care about... another 200gb to go through tonight then done :)

Looking to get a Rioch GR today. Think it will be a great 'daily life' camera. Been considering one for a while now and found a used one for £380 with extra battery, charger and hood.

Also been looking at the XT-1...possibly will sell my X100 LE to help cover the cost of it + a 35 1.4 and later the 56 1.2 lens. Kind of torn between that and a 6D with 50mm 1.4 + 135 L

ahh decisions decisions!