IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Hello, me again.

I have another question about lenses.

This time, instead of close up macro food fun I am researching for wide angle shots, specifically to show off rooms in their best light and also outside landscapes.

With a non-full frame 35mm lens that's usually too narrow and so I've just been using my kit lens, an 18-105mm lens. F3.5 - 5.6. It's not great and after a recent trip with work doing a lot of wide angle room / outdoor shots especially in sunny conditions I'm noticing the chromatic aberration is pretty bad at 18mm and nothing ever really seems to come out that sharp compared with my prime lenses.

Now for one it's getting on a bit as a lens (Got it with a d90) and I'm wondering if Chromatic Aberration is something that "develops"?

I was thinking perhaps a prime lens but I'm not sure. Can you recommend anything? The wider the better, but not fisheye as it's not for shots with an extreme style.

Is there a DSLR equivalent of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-NIKKOR-10mm-Lens-Black/dp/B005NFW8LQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375018065&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+10mm

which is a 10mm lens - at first I thought that was ideal but I think it's a 4/3rds lens?

Now obviously there are some sexy lenses for £300+ and over £1000 and so on but I'm gonna try and get work to buy this for me because the wide angles is a specific work need, I don't really think I'll use it as much personally and basically I think if they're going to buy me equipment it's going to be easier to ask for a few things at moderate prices than ask them to splurge on a single big thing.

I'm wondering about an 18mm-55mm which is £99 so super cheap, because it might replace my 18-105 if it's better quality at 18-55, because I rarely zoom in beyond 50mm to be honest, I just don't do zoom shots on that thing.

What are you using for post-processing? I know that at least Lightroom has built-in correction profiles for most common lenses, that does away with quite a bit of distortion and chromatic aberration - might be worth a try if you're not already using it?

I haven't tried the 18-105 myself, but I'd expect it to be on-par / slightly above the 18-55, which is the most basic kit-lens Nikon is currently making (with the 18-105 sitting just above it). The smaller zoom range might help though (since your mostly always trading away some (possibly imperceptible) amount of image quality when adding zoom range). If you know someone who has bought an entry-level Nikon DSLR within the last five years or so, you might be able to borrow theirs to try it out before you go ahead and buy one though?

I do know someone as it happens so might try that.

I am using Adobe camera raw as part of ps cs5.5 and have removed the aberration. Still it also feels a bit non sharp.

It's probably good enough for what I need it for I am just wondering if there's a cheap ish way to make it better. Plus I'd like to see if it's easy or worth going wider than 18 but maybe not without spending £££.

Thanks

Hello, me again.

I have another question about lenses.

This time, instead of close up macro food fun I am researching for wide angle shots, specifically to show off rooms in their best light and also outside landscapes.

With a non-full frame 35mm lens that's usually too narrow and so I've just been using my kit lens, an 18-105mm lens. F3.5 - 5.6. It's not great and after a recent trip with work doing a lot of wide angle room / outdoor shots especially in sunny conditions I'm noticing the chromatic aberration is pretty bad at 18mm and nothing ever really seems to come out that sharp compared with my prime lenses.

Now for one it's getting on a bit as a lens (Got it with a d90) and I'm wondering if Chromatic Aberration is something that "develops"?

I was thinking perhaps a prime lens but I'm not sure. Can you recommend anything? The wider the better, but not fisheye as it's not for shots with an extreme style.

Is there a DSLR equivalent of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-NIKKOR-10mm-Lens-Black/dp/B005NFW8LQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375018065&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+10mm

which is a 10mm lens - at first I thought that was ideal but I think it's a 4/3rds lens?

Now obviously there are some sexy lenses for £300+ and over £1000 and so on but I'm gonna try and get work to buy this for me because the wide angles is a specific work need, I don't really think I'll use it as much personally and basically I think if they're going to buy me equipment it's going to be easier to ask for a few things at moderate prices than ask them to splurge on a single big thing.

I'm wondering about an 18mm-55mm which is £99 so super cheap, because it might replace my 18-105 if it's better quality at 18-55, because I rarely zoom in beyond 50mm to be honest, I just don't do zoom shots on that thing.

Have you tried it with a tripod for the indoors shots?

Not sure you are going to improve things much with a £99 zoom lens, but even a kit lens should be usable for most uses.

What for and how are the images being use?

Nikon 18-55 examples...(all full size for good example but some are cropped) with D60.

My earliest shots i did (i bought my D60 for this trip and that was the kit lens)...

9255432444_7579e9f4d4_o.jpg

Crop example..

1052212_10152044277718448_1350227902_o.j

1049118_10152044281048448_1369291459_o.j

Couple of others...

9066618138_fc3665b5b2_o.jpg

9066619614_e45d06d41b_o.jpg

Hope that helps. I'm thinking of getting another too. At present i can only shoot a 35mm as i sold my other one.

Rockwell loves it...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

Good for Macro as well.

I can attest its focus ring is awful - way to fast.

Heres a comparison...

http://simplybetterphotos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/nikon-18-55-vr-compared-to-nikon-18-105.html

You can get the EDII version (with slightly better Chromatic Abb.) or the VR one for £20 more and no ED.

Yeah I don't think the combination of what I want is physically possible. IE compact so it doesn't swamp me, big enough to fit everything in, purdy lookin', AND on two shoulders so I don't keel over sideways

I bought a messenger bag from Fossil, then stuck in a Crumpler drawstring insert thing, which works nicely and doesn't look like a camera bag, because it isn't. The contents are then easily removable, leaving a nice bag in its own right. Depending how much kit you've got, something like, maybe?

Panasonic just announced a new camera body, the GX7. It is basically as if someone took a wishlist from my brain and made a camera, and it has a price to match. They've abandoned their more utilitarian design practices for a more retro look, which is understandable I suppose, as that seems to be what sells at the moment. Every manufacturers top-end models look like they're from the 80s, with only Sony really pushing the more modernist designs, it's all a bit homogenous at the moment.

Panasonic just announced a new camera body, the GX7. It is basically as if someone took a wishlist from my brain and made a camera, and it has a price to match. They've abandoned their more utilitarian design practices for a more retro look, which is understandable I suppose, as that seems to be what sells at the moment. Every manufacturers top-end models look like they're from the 80s, with only Sony really pushing the more modernist designs, it's all a bit homogenous at the moment.

I was looking at this earlier - looks really interesting and I particularly like the tiltable EVF.

Going to look at a secondhand D7000 on Saturday. I'm moving up from my D80 so quite a step up but I'm aware the D7100 has replaced it.

It's a good price just really trying to find out any potential pitfalls to look out for. The guy at the camera shop said it had around 10,000 actuations which I don't think is too high.

Could anyone recommend a decent body upgrade for under £400 secondhand from a D40x? I have the 18-55mm, a 55-200mm and that nice 35mm DX lens.

I'd like something with faster focusing mainly, with more focus points.

I'm getting my D7000 for £449 although this is second hand, if you want a new body my local camera shop lists the D3200 at £319 and the D5100 at £349.

I think the D3200 would be the better bet as it has the 24mp sensor and is generally newer all round and it would be a huge step up from your D40.

Nikon 18-55 examples...(all full size for good example but some are cropped) with D60.

Hope that helps. I'm thinking of getting another too. At present i can only shoot a 35mm as i sold my other one.

Rockwell loves it...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htmGood for Macro as well.

I can attest its focus ring is awful - way to fast.

Heres a comparison...

http://simplybetterphotos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/nikon-18-55-vr-compared-to-nikon-18-105.html

You can get the EDII version (with slightly better Chromatic Abb.) or the VR one for £20 more and no ED.

This looks a really good value for money all rounder I have a Tokina 17-50 2.8 and it is terrible for focussing it always seems to rear focus making using it very hit and miss.

Could anyone recommend a decent body upgrade for under £400 secondhand from a D40x? I have the 18-55mm, a 55-200mm and that nice 35mm DX lens.

I'd like something with faster focusing mainly, with more focus points.

It depends on if you want something that "feels" like your current D40x (in which case, have a look at the D3x00 / D5x00 series), or if you'd be happy to move up a step to slightly larger/heavier bodies (D90 / D7x00 series), but that also have more direct controls (so you don't have to go through menus to change everything). You can always go try out the different series in a store to see what suits you the best (a D7100 should feel more or less similar to a D7000 and a D90, a D5200 like a D5100 and so on).

As you'd also like an LCD on top, I'd say have a look at maybe a D90 (should be cheap), which is about one generation never, and two series up from your D40x. It's the predecessor to the D7000, and is basically a D5000 in a more "professional" body. A second-hand D7000 could also be a possibility, although it might be slightly above your specified pricerange.

Alternatives could also be:

- A new D3200 (which should be very similar to your D40x, just with better performance (higher resolution (24MP), better in low-light, and most probably also more focus points - and it comes in red!)

- A new D5100 - if you can find one (it's been succeeded by the D5200, and I'd probably choose the D3200 above it - unless you can get a better deal)

- A new D5200 - it's above your price-range (but not much), but is otherwise a slightly more advanced D3200

You could of course also just save some money and get a second-hand D5100 / D3100, and then put the saved money towards lenses ;)

Thanks, that's very useful. A good condition D90 might be right up my alley looking at prices, but then I guess save up for another couple months and get something I won't feel the need to upgrade from again quickly. That said, not sure that feeling ever goes away ;)

Well fancy that. That's something I never really knew about.

I looked at the serial number first in the raw data and panicked that I'd taken nearly a million shots then realised I've only taken about 19,500 on my D90.

Interesting to know you reckon 100k. I'm not thinking about anything just yet but now my Dad just got a D7100 it got me wondering when the right time to upgrade would be for me. And when, say, that amount of money would be better spent on lenses, equipment, etc.

Edit: 100k is right, according to Nikon: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16492/~/how-many-pictures-has-my-camera-taken%3F-how-many-will-it-take%3F