IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

I think that'll shift pretty soon, but it does take a reasonably large pair of bollocks to turn up with a lower-level camera and tell the other photographers there that you use that because you're good enough to...

I thought I read somewhere that Panny were going to make the GF line more pro-friendly (more like the GF1) and drop the GX line, rather than continuing to focus on making it as small as possible.

The gap in the market that Panny should be shooting for is a rangefinder body with a built in EVF, IMO. They've just released a compact that has this, and their only non-micro 43rds camera was this type.

That said, I'm not sure they understand that size is the main selling point of m43 against APS-C. The G6 and GH3 are pretty huge, as are some of their lenses. By far the largest and least convenient lens in my bag is the 25mm f/1.4 with its non-reversible hood (although they get points for not expecting me to pay an extra $100 for a hood, Olympus).

Jesus - it's only been a day but I'm besotted...

ycYDkuM.jpg

...handles like a GF1 on steroids, actually it's like a mini M9 on steroids in some respects :lol: . Now to figure out what it's like on the street.

I still dunno how I've overlooked this camera for 6 months? - actually that's a good thing for the deal I got.

Need a cheap hood, off to Amazon...

Jesus - it's only been a day but I'm besotted...

ycYDkuM.jpg

...handles like a GF1 on steroids, actually it's like a mini M9 on steroids in some respects :lol: . Now to figure out what it's like on the street.

I still dunno how I've overlooked this camera for 6 months? - actually that's a good thing for the deal I got.

Need a cheap hood, off to Amazon...

Holy shit that's small. Post up some pics.

I think the E-P5 front wheel is for Panasonic power zoom lens compatibility, though if it can be custom functioned it will be useful for other things.

As for an Olympus "Trip", an E-PL1 with the Body Cap (15mm f/8) lens is very small, and you can cobble on the view finder from a disposable film camera (one of my projects to do) if you don't want to look at the screen. Everything from about 3' away will be in focus. If I manage the viewfinder (some dremel action required), the whole thing will have cost $145 to do ($90 for the camera, $50 for the lens, though adapted primes can go for less than that including adapters, and you get full aperture, focus control, zone focus rings).

A while back, someone made a website with some mockups of a product like that. I reality it would be a niche product that would require a ton of research and testing to get off the ground. Making a sensor that is flexible and hard wearing would be really difficult, the technology just isn't there and would have to be created.

Shoved a thread in ATF because I'd forgotten all about this thread. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a second hand DSLR other than them often not having a bundled kit lens? Is there anything else I should be looking out for when buying second hand?

Not at all, I've bought tons of bodies second hand and never had any issues. Main thing to look out for is shutter actuations. Most cameras have a rated shutter life so you generally want to avoid ones with a really high count. Most are rated to around 100,000 I think. I think the most on any camera I bought was about 30,000.

Other than that just general things like overall condition will show how well its been taken care of.

Good to ask for assurance that there's no grot on the sensor. Sensor cleaning isn't as scary as it sounds, but it's not something you want to have to do to a new-to-you camera, particularly if its your first.

Other things - dead pixels on the LCD, depending on model perhaps questions about focus alignment.

Shoved a thread in ATF because I'd forgotten all about this thread. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a second hand DSLR other than them often not having a bundled kit lens? Is there anything else I should be looking out for when buying second hand?

Apart from sample pictures and shutter counts, I like to find put the reason for sale before buying second-hand camera stuff. People who are upgrading are the best ones.

Really struggling to decide what camera to get next. Am thinking either 650D if I go full SLR or a nice little mirrorless like the Lumix GX1.

If I go with the Lumix then what is their equivalent lens to the Canon 50mm f1.8?

I wouldn't bother with the NXs to be honest. They've not caught on, so unless you get a great deal...

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is the equivalent, a very good lens. Much more usable focal length than the 50mm on a crop sensor, although it costs £200ish rather than £80ish.

Really struggling to decide what camera to get next. Am thinking either 650D if I go full SLR or a nice little mirrorless like the Lumix GX1.

If I go with the Lumix then what is their equivalent lens to the Canon 50mm f1.8?

The 20mm f1.7 is the lens to get with the GX1, it's fantastic. About 3 times the price of the canon 50mm though.

There isn't an equivalent to the 50mm f/1.8 on any system really. It's in its own category of 'fabulous lens that costs nothing'. For the GX1 you can have a fabulous lens (20mm f/1.7 comes to mind, or the 17mm f/1.8 for better AF) or one that costs nothing (15mm f/8).

Odd that the NX system hasn't caught on, it seems to be a decent offering. Maybe it's just too similar to the NEX system, and not just in name.