IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Can anyone suggest a fair price to sell a Sony A500 w/ 18-55mm kit lens for? I've got an idea of lens pricing but I don't see many A5xx cameras for sale so not sure what to price it up at.

I'm looking at a Sony A77 with Sony's excellent 16-50mm f2.8 lens as a replacement. I realise it's not the newest body but it's at the sweet spot in terms of pricing now.

I finally got shot of all my Nikon gear and I'm now looking to reinvest in a new system in the near future. I have a GRD2 which I absolutely adore and use for much of my street work, but I want something that remains discreet, has the ability to prefocus and has good depth of field. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Up to £2500. I've given a bit of consideration to an M8 but it's problems are well documented and it's an old camera. Ideally I want a digital rangefinder, but the current Leica models are well out of my price range and the cameras that Fuji offer come up short in a number of respects, most notably shutter lag and focussing.

Up to £2500. I've given a bit of consideration to an M8 but it's problems are well documented and it's an old camera. Ideally I want a digital rangefinder, but the current Leica models are well out of my price range and the cameras that Fuji offer come up short in a number of respects, most notably shutter lag and focussing.

I think you're aiming for a camera that doesn't exist, unfortunately. There's the Sony RX1:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sony-cyber-shot-rx1-black-digital-camera/p1532752?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-cameras-_-digital-cameras-_-sony-cyber-shot-rx1-black-digital-camera_1532752&utm_source=googlebase-extension&gclid=ci3c2zzawrycfvdmtaod9l8aqq

But I'd probably say get a GX1 and spend the rest of the money on a holiday. Or save up and get a Leica.

Gotta be on OMD EM-5 with a nice selection of primes if you want to spend the majority of that - the 12mm, 17mm, 45mm and 75mm are all lovely bits of kit, by all accounts. A big plus of MFT is having a cheap but capable and even more discreet second body as a backup.

An OM-D is surely discreet enough, no need for a second body. Without the extra grips it is tiny, barely any bigger than the PEN models. If you don't mind a DSLR-styled body, I would wait and see what Panasonic do with the G6 they're supposedly announcing at the end of this month though. Hadn't heard about that LF1, wonder what's going to be so different about it that they had to branch off from the LX range.

It's true that the MFT system has an excellent selection of primes. Olympus and Panasonic have some great options between them; the 12mm, 17mm f/1.8, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm, and 75mm are all rated highly. Third party manufacturers have got in the act too; Voigtlander have three fast primes that could potentially be your whole system, and Samyang have a fairly cheap fisheye with amazing performance. Where it falls down a little is with zooms, which are either very expensive or mediocre. My hope is that now all the big third-party manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) are signed up to produce lenses, we'll see a better range of options for the system in a few years.

The X100s is supposed to be extremely fast in all respects.

Had an M8, was unaffected by the quirks/probs and still painfully miss the B/W pics it gave (would love another if I can find a low acc @ a low price in the future), I now have an M9 and a X100s.

Of course it depends on what you want to photograph and how but If I was in your situation I'd get the X100s and have a holiday with a loved one.

If fixed lens 35mm floats your boat then X100s as mentioned above. You'll even have plenty of cash left over so you could also get a REAL rangefinder like this one and shoot some film ;)

If you are after a changeable lens system then maybe worth holding on to see what Fuji does with the Xpro next update...Even the current Xpro1 with a 35mm 1.4 is amaze, and I've seen people selling them for peanuts...Or the OMD as mentioned as well. You could maybe even get a Sony RX1 if you hunt around a bit, if you like that sort of thing.

If you are ideally looking for an RF then you are presumably happy with manual focus. With that in mind I would really consider a Fuji, either the X-Pro 1 or Xe-1. The 35mm is amazing, the 14 too and the 60 isn't badm though I would wait for the new 50 coming out.

The image quality is exceptional and the ISO performance unreal.

I owned a Leica kit with all the best lenses (noctilux and 35, 50 and 70 summilux). If I had money to thrown around then I might buy it all again but i can honestly say that for me, the Fuji kit comes close (and sometimes improves on) experience and image quality.

Did you import your X100S, Fusty? I'm struggling to find stock anywhere at the moment. (US)

Missus picked it up in Hong Kong last month. It was a Fujifilm event at an indie store. She hasn't touched it - I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN...it even follows me from room to room :lol:

Going to check out the RX1 Tomorrow, I'm excited - been scratching my head over that camera. I KNOW I'm going to love it.

If anyone's around Sheff on the 13th:

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/blog/post/Sony-Demonstration-Day-Saturday-13th-April.aspx

*still miss my GF1 + (noisey) 20mm more than any camera I've ever owned*

After spending my morning reading a plethora or reviews for the cameras that everyone suggested I've just parted with my cash for the X100s. It seems that my concerns about shutter lag and focussing were largely misplaced, and it looks ideal for both shooting on the streets and taking more personal photographs of my family, friends and (most importantly) my cats. Thanks for your advice, all!

After spending my morning reading a plethora or reviews for the cameras that everyone suggested I've just parted with my cash for the X100s. It seems that my concerns about shutter lag and focussing were largely misplaced, and it looks ideal for both shooting on the streets and taking more personal photographs of my family, friends and (most importantly) my cats. Thanks for your advice, all!

They are great, but a little idiosyncratic. I didn't get on with it at all when I tried it out, which was a bit of a shame as I had the money to just buy it burning a hole in my pocket. I went with the GF2 instead, which I think was probably the right choice for a second camera, really. But much less impressive.

Hope you like it!

Could I ask a bit of advice? I broke the screen on the back of my Olympus XZ-1 and a repair place is asking for £149 for parts & labor to fix it. A new one with a warranty is £234 on Amazon...would I be better off just stumping up the extra cash for a new one, with a new warranty?

I'm completely hamfisted so trying to replace the screen myself is out of the question!

Could I ask a bit of advice? I broke the screen on the back of my Olympus XZ-1 and a repair place is asking for £149 for parts & labor to fix it. A new one with a warranty is £234 on Amazon...would I be better off just stumping up the extra cash for a new one, with a new warranty?

I'm completely hamfisted so trying to replace the screen myself is out of the question!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-PL3-Compact-M-ZUIKO-Digital/dp/B0058GI33W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365779869&sr=8-3&keywords=olympus+e-pl3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057LZHAU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-14-42mm/dp/B004AE391Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365780068&sr=1-2&keywords=panasonic+gf2

Just to throw a few curve balls in there.

I'd try and find somewhere else to give you a quote first. That sounds much too much.

Ok, I'll have a look. It was from Camera City in London (near the british museum) who a friend recommended...but yeah, seems a bit much if the screen can be had for £35.

AceAceBaby - I really like the XZ-1 though!

Bit of a long shot this, but anyone here still using pre- digital equipment? My dad has asked me to find a good home for his gear which I am guessing was assembled between early 1950 s and mid 70 s. Unfortunately he isn't well enough at present to be able to go through it with me to put together a list - it will include cameras, lenses, light meters, tripods, at the level a keen and knowledgable amateur of the period would have. I know it will be in good condition. He isn't particularly looking for money, more peace of mind at this point, but I guess I will be able to get some idea of value from eBay once I know what is included. Are there any other useful sites I could access for valuations, or reputable dealers out there?