IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Nice work! I had an M8 a while back along with some amazing Leica glass but sold the lot. Never forgiven myself and next month when my bonus arrives i'm seriously contemplating selling all my SLR gear and going back again.

What lenses are you plumping for?

I had an M6 back in the day and also sold it along with 2 lenses... :doh:

I'm looking for something Leica, 35mm and affordable.

Any realistic (below £1500) 35/50 reccomendations please :)

For me the 35 lux and 35 cron are both incredible. Newer models will both be above 1500 quid of course.

An option would be the 35 summicron v4 pre Asph. That's the "king of bokeh" lens and is brilliant. Prices are rising but probably still available for less than 1500, second hand of course. Failing those I would look at other manufacturers.

My personal view is that in the 50mm range you might look at voigtlander or zeiss lenses. Unless you can afford a noctilux of course!

Overall the slower Leica glass (2.8 or slower) isn't markedly better than other makers to make the price difference worthwhile.

In other interesting lenses I reckon the 12 and 15mm voigtlander lenses are worth looking at for wide options. The 15 especially.

Many thanks for that.

I sold a Voigtlander 35mm that I used on my GF1...it was great fun. I'm thinking I might buy just buy another one as a starter until funds allow something else.

I'll look around for a 35 summicron too (out of my price range I fear) - thanks again.

Thinking about a getting an M6 too, probably with a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or an old 35mm pre-asph Summilux. Not sure I want a lens that is -too- good. Also a 75mm of some kind but I'm still not sure which offers the most suitable character, size and (relatively) reasonable price.

M10 should be announced in a few months. Might have an affect on M8 & M9 prices.

If they begrudgingly put auto-focus in, I think that'll be my next camera. If they don't I /might/ go for a second-hand M9 anyway, but I find the idea of constant manual focus fairly intimidating.

I'm hoping they'll add the new monochrome one to the academy days they do, I'll definitely be there for that if so.

Seems the new canon mirrorless jobbie will be officially announced on monday.

Looks nice to me, although not sure I could live without a viewfinder ( EVF on the hot shoe? ). New EF-M mount is used and the lens in the pic looks very nice. If it has an aps-c'ish sensor and is priced reasonably it could be fantastic.

post-967-0-62986500-1342821460.jpeg

Hotshoe looks standard. If EOS mount lenses are easily converted, and PDAF actually works reasonably on them, this could be the first mirrorless system with reasonable upgrade path for DSLR users. Many people have been using converted lenses with m43 and NEX bodies, but aperture control and AF go out of the window there.

The control dial around the shutter is a lovely touch... but why couldn't they put one on the back too? I love having two dials that I can use at the same time, but the only cameras that have this cost loads. How do you switch the function of the dial, by using the touchscreen? It doesn't look like it'll be a very fun camera to use, particularly on a sunny day. As a system it piques my interest though.

So I bought a NEX-5N today. However it appears to have a problem. Everything seems to work fine, I see stuff on the screen, it focuses but when I fully depress the shutter button, nothing happens. I can put it on the 10 second timer and activate that with the shutter button but at the end of the 10 seconds it takes no photo. :(

An option would be the 35 summicron v4 pre Asph. That's the "king of bokeh" lens and is brilliant. Prices are rising but probably still available for less than 1500, second hand of course. Failing those I would look at other manufacturers.

Just been in touch with a seller, looking around it's really decent price, picking it up on Tuesday! :)

Thanks again.

Thinking about a getting an M6 too, probably with a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or an old 35mm pre-asph Summilux. Not sure I want a lens that is -too- good. Also a 75mm of some kind but I'm still not sure which offers the most suitable character, size and (relatively) reasonable price.

Just remember the m6 only has 3 frame line options so you need to choose the easiest lenses based on that.

I had a 75 lux which was nice though hard to focus on the M8.

If they begrudgingly put auto-focus in, I think that'll be my next camera. If they don't I /might/ go for a second-hand M9 anyway, but I find the idea of constant manual focus fairly intimidating.

I'm hoping they'll add the new monochrome one to the academy days they do, I'll definitely be there for that if so.

It (autofocus) won't help with existing lenses though presumably?

It (autofocus) won't help with existing lenses though presumably?

I probably won't buy one the day it comes out...But yes, they'd need a whole range of new lenses. They could use contrast detection and focus-confirm with their current ones for free though, which'd be a bit of a bonus. But properly picking an actual auto-focus system that works on a range finder and doesn't put off the core users is a whole world of complicated. They'll need to avoid changing the lenses significantly in form factor, so it's got to go in the body, really, which adds a fair bit to the body and it'd need a much more powerful battery too.

Not sure how focus confirm would work though within the rangefinder method. There are no focus points, just a focal plane, so essentially something is always in correct focus.

Also, to my mind, manual focusing is one of the joys of an RF system. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have auto sometimes I guess.

It's hard to imagine Leica adding autofocus to the M range. It's niche is ascetic & manual. A new range of mirrorless compacts which happens to take M mounted lenses alongside it's own M-focus range of lenses seems more likely? Then they can stick video in too and everything purists would not like to see on the M brand.

Erm, so I sort of accidentally bought a second-hand Olympus 12mm f/2. It was about 30% cheaper than new, which was too good to pass up, and I'm keen to get some fast lenses for when the baby arrives. Previous owner doesn't seem to have taken the best care of it (some grot in the focus ring, rear-lens cap from a Sigma 19mm, and a scratch on the UV filter which he had mercifully always kept over the lens, now removed), but it's nothing that won't clean up with a brush, a rocket blower, and perhaps a q-tip dipped in vodka. Full box, manual and 6 months warranty, too.

Feels a good match for the E-M5. Cooking a midwinter-Christmas meal this evening, so I'll have a crack for some food photography, which I hear it excels at.

Not sure how focus confirm would work though within the rangefinder method. There are no focus points, just a focal plane, so essentially something is always in correct focus.

Also, to my mind, manual focusing is one of the joys of an RF system. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have auto sometimes I guess.

Contrast detection auto-focus (or focus confirm) takes place entirely on the sensor, so it doesn't make much difference how the light is getting there. The trouble is that Leica probably would edge away from that because it's not the best system.

I'm sure I'd get better with practice, but I'm just not as fast at focusing as AF is so I'm hesitant to make a purchase that makes me go away from it entirely.

It would be odd for Leica to introduce AF to the M system, when the technology has been around for three decades now. Focus confirm would be a bit of a silly addition when it's so easy to focus with a rangefinder. Maybe they feel threatened by mirrorless cameras, given that they now no longer own that form factor, but to me it's an entirely different market. Isn't the whole point of a Leica that it doesn't do AF?

The EOS M looks good, and it has to be because Canon are very late to the game. They've gone in a far less 'cute' direction than Nikon, and while I think it won't sell as fast intially, it is obviously the more capable camera and the system shows far more promise. Given that it's aps-c, it'll have the same issue as the NEX format; if you want long or fast lenses they will probably have to be bigger than the camera. It'll be interesting to see what lenses they back the system with, as the outlook on that front is pretty grim on most CSC systems. Maybe they won't feel the need to move that quickly, because in reality none of the other systems are that established, besides maybe m43.

So now Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus + Panasonic, Pentax, Samsung, and Sony all have their own camera systems. I think that's everyone, right? Goodness me. Maybe the prices will drop now.

It would be odd for Leica to introduce AF to the M system, when the technology has been around for three decades now. Focus confirm would be a bit of a silly addition when it's so easy to focus with a rangefinder. Maybe they feel threatened by mirrorless cameras, given that they now no longer own that form factor, but to me it's an entirely different market. Isn't the whole point of a Leica that it doesn't do AF?

I don't think that's the point at all. I think the point is that they're the best at what they do - if they can do that with AF, they'll do it.

So now Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus + Panasonic, Pentax, Samsung, and Sony all have their own camera systems. I think that's everyone, right?

Sigma haven't got one yet and that can only really be a matter of time, although I suppose it's fairly likely they'll join M43 - especially if they can use the lens standard and their own sensor.

• 18mp APS-C
  • DIGIC V
  • ISO 100-12800 (25,600 Expansion)
  • 3 inch Touchscreen 1.04million pixels
  • Phase & Contrast AF
  • Video Servo AF
  • 1920x1080 Video 30p/25p/24p
  • 128x720 Video 60p/50p
  • MPEG-4, AVC/H.264
  • SD Card
  • Adaptor for EF lenses
  • Hand-held Twilight mode, to help with long exposures in low light.
  • Multi-shot noise reduction function that helps reduce the noise by combining four images.
  • Creative filters
  • HDR mode to synthesize three different exposures
  • Camera size: 66.5mm (width) 108.6mm (height) x 32.3mm (depth)
  • Weight (body only) 262g, (including battery and memory card) 298g

Same sensor as the new t4i? 22mm f2 lens, small, light, lens adaptors, silent?... This could be fantastic. ( hope they announce an EVF attachment at some point as well )

I'm wanting to set up a wee space to take photos of my trainers. Like a white background with some sort of lighting. Nothing fancy, nothing too expensive. What would you recommend buying as I have no idea (do you just buy a piece of white paper for the background?)?

If all you are taking are pictures of your kicks, you just need a large piece of white card - probably A1 - that you can bend to create a seamless background and some kind of directional lighting - a couple of anglepoise lamps would do the trick, one either side to minimise the shadows.

Although I do like the way Caliroots used to shoot their shoes, on a black reflective base with a velvet backdrop: http://caliroots.com/sfd/product.asp?id=31415

A light cube/tent with a fairly strong lightsource about it would be a fairly easy way of doing it. They're only about £15 or so on the ebayz for the tent, a powerful desk lamp would probably work for the light.

I reckon Canon have aced the mirrorless sector. I'll be waiting for prices to come down then picking one up - especially if they come up with a small, compact WA lens. For landscapes etc it doesn't need to be fast (make it smaller then !) - I'm head over heels with my S100 for a walkabout - so something small like that - with a proper wide angle would be perfect. And the fact that it works with my other lenses ... well. It looks brilliant. They may be late to the game but I reckon this is going to be a game winner.

It looks pretty nice and will be an easy choice if you're an existing Canon SLR owner, but I'm not sure I'm seeing anything that really differentiates it from what's out there already.

The price will drop, but right now the Canon brand is going to have to work pretty hard to make up a £350 premium over the NEX-5N.