IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Anyone got any experience with arctic butterflies??? Got loads of crap on my sensor.....

Yep, I got one free with a magazine sub a few years ago. I used it on my Nikon D40x after I'd been changing lenses all day at Goodwood and the sensor was covered in all sorts of shit - worked a treat.

I never met anything on my Nikon D40 that couldn't be dislodged by just locking the mirror up, removing the body cap, then blasting the sensor with my rocket blower with the camera inverted. Not sure that works on more modern, complicated cameras, but it's cheap enough to be worth a try.

Memory serves, I accidentally received a Pro-Grade Arctic Butterfly from a camera company who I bought a bag from, days before they went bust. I think I sold it to Scribble, as it was beyond me.

Just got a nex 5n myself recently and have to say image quality is stunning, you are buying a 23.4x 15.6 aps HD sensor it is smaller than my old DSLR style compact Panasonic fz 38 and image quality is amazing right up to the high ISOs. Pictures at 8000 iso are amazingly good. Basically its not a micro 4/3rds camera, its a dslr crammed into a compact body.

I compared the nex 5n and Panny GF1 in store in Jessops (I brought a ten inch android tablet with me to review pictures) and the image quality was markedly different, with random in store shots it is an amazing camera and portable even with the 18-55mm kit lens. I could have got the pany with 3 lenses for the price I paid for the Sony, but the difference in image quality was worth the difference.

Nex 5n has a nice grip too, if I can find some ill post a shot or two (check out DPreview's comparison to see the massive difference in the above cameras)

Do you mean the GF2? I doubt anyone is still selling the GF1.

Basically its not a micro 4/3rds camera, its a dslr crammed into a compact body.

Hmm. There is very little difference in sensor size between a 4/3 camera and an aps-c. The latest body from Olympus (the OM-D) actually has its sensor made by Sony, and is on a par with its aps-c peers. For some reason though, a lot of m43 cameras use a fairly obsolete senor by Panasonic, even though Panasonic themselves have already demonstrated they have better tech. Yet the soon to be released GF5 also seems to use the old sensor. It's baffling to me because it's building up this misconception that m43 cameras are limited by their small sensors, which you demonstrate. If they don't start putting this new tech in their cheaper models, it's going to get stuck in consumers' minds.

Do you mean the GF2? I doubt anyone is still selling the GF1.

Hmm. There is very little difference in sensor size between a 4/3 camera and an aps-c. The latest body from Olympus (the OM-D) actually has its sensor made by Sony, and is on a par with its aps-c peers. For some reason though, a lot of m43 cameras use a fairly obsolete senor by Panasonic, even though Panasonic themselves have already demonstrated they have better tech. Yet the soon to be released GF5 also seems to use the old sensor. It's baffling to me because it's building up this misconception that m43 cameras are limited by their small sensors, which you demonstrate. If they don't start putting this new tech in their cheaper models, it's going to get stuck in consumers' minds.

I think the difference between M43 and APS-C is notable enough to be worth mentioning:

Camera-Sensor-Size-Comparison.png

But the actual resulting picture quality is much more complicated than that, as you say.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything that said Sony on it and I don't think the picture quality gain (and there is definitely one) from GF2 to NEX5 is worth the loss of portability, but that's obviously entirely down to the individual.

The much more exciting (sorry) G5 was announced at the same time. It's basically a smaller GH2 with updated features at a lower price. Yes please. It can also record video at a maximum of 1080p at 60 frames a second with a bitrate of 28Mbps. Also has a silly nubbin where there should be a dial behind the shutter button.

I think the LX7 is more exciting. That's an amazingly fast lens for a compact - if they could come up with a way to make that appear for M43 it'd sell bucket loads, whatever the price.

It's a 1/1.7" sensor, so the lens should be roughly (it's a bit more of a crop, but I just doubled to make things easier on myself) equivalent to a 14-45mm 2.8-5.6 on a m43 camera. The Olympus 12-50 3.5-6.3 arrived earlier this year, as was mostly considered very underwhelming. Panasonic's recently released 12-35 2.8 has has some very positive buzz though.

I'll admit it does look more interesting than I gave it credit for at first glance. It also has an 'oversized' sensor, just like the G5, to make use of more of the image circle if you're shooting wider than 4:3. I'm amazed that they're doing this, as presumably it must add to the cost. The abundance of external controls is also nice to see. It's just that the G5 looks like Panasonic's response to the EM-5, when I assumed they'd hold back some stuff for the GH3. It's a better camera than the Olympus in many respects, even.

I would say the lens is worth £240, and the body probably £100. Bought the pair for £400 only a year ago, the lens has stayed pretty much the same price, but the body nosedived as is usually the case. A wonderful little combo, although I dare say probably not as wonderful as an M8! Enjoy.

What lens/es are you getting?

Thanks a lot.

Better than I thought tbh. I think I paid £385 around 18 months back.

Can't wait to get my hands on the M8, pretty much a dream come true.

I'll put it in trading at around £200-220 for a quick sale. PM me for pics/info if anybody's interested.

im still in love with my Fuji X100. it just "does"

I soooo want one of those. So many moments missed, and I wished I'd had a camera on me when I left the DSLR at home.

Plus I really need something wider than the 50mm I mostly use. I was going to buy a 28mm 1.8 but it just doesn't seem worth paying £400 for.

Current Japan prices for the fuji are about £870 though which is crazy when they can be had in UK for £650.

Been checking import duty costs and it seems digital camera import to Japan is free, so may get one shortly from ebay. Lots of HK sellers.

Just a little worried if the warranty will be vallid for when I retur to UK in a month or so.

I'll put it in trading at around £200-220 for a quick sale. PM me for pics/info if anybody's interested.

I've bought stuff off mu-43.com before, there's plenty of UK and EU traffic on the trading section. I'm just thinking that even at that price, it's possible you won't find someone who's interested on here.

In the process of buying a used M8.2 off a mate who's buying an M9 :omg:

So, to contribute to a lens I'm selling my beloved GF1 if anybody's interested :(

Boxed all accesories, great nick, 20mm Pancake. I'm not sure what the going rate is (anyone?)

Nice work! I had an M8 a while back along with some amazing Leica glass but sold the lot. Never forgiven myself and next month when my bonus arrives i'm seriously contemplating selling all my SLR gear and going back again.

What lenses are you plumping for?

I soooo want one of those. So many moments missed, and I wished I'd had a camera on me when I left the DSLR at home.

Plus I really need something wider than the 50mm I mostly use. I was going to buy a 28mm 1.8 but it just doesn't seem worth paying £400 for.

Current Japan prices for the fuji are about £870 though which is crazy when they can be had in UK for £650.

Been checking import duty costs and it seems digital camera import to Japan is free, so may get one shortly from ebay. Lots of HK sellers.

Just a little worried if the warranty will be vallid for when I retur to UK in a month or so.

the IQ from the X100 is totally fucking amazing, its on par with my old Nikon D700 i reckon. ive stopped worrying about setting up the shots since i got the X100, i have set auto ISO brackets so i dont need to worry about the ISO with its great IQ, I usually keep the aperture ring on 2.8 unless im doing macro stuff, and put the shutter on Auto.

having a built in ND Filter is quite nice and now you can remap the RAW button to a 2nd func button i have ISO adjustments on the top Func, and ND on the bottom if i ever need it.

Fuji have just recently released a screw in 28mm Adapter for even wider range, and the IQ on that is supposed to be great too. so if you need even wider range, then it lets you get it. Im hoping for a 50mm adapter.

Fuji have just recently released a screw in 28mm Adapter for even wider range, and the IQ on that is supposed to be great too. so if you need even wider range, then it lets you get it. Im hoping for a 50mm adapter.

I was reading about the 28mm earlier. Apparently is does not effect the quality at all. A 24mm would of been more useful though I think.

It's the quality of images and portability that have drawn me to it. Some of the jpeg shots I've seen taken with it are amazing.

As much as I love the images I get from my 550d they do sometimes take a fair bit of processing time.