Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

I'm not sure what you mean by saleable - I wouldn't be expecting to chop and change if that makes sense ? The XZ-1 looks like a fixed lens camera ? I'd like the flexibility of being able to switch a lens to suit (thinking of low light stuff here - for example gigs/weddings as a guest not a paying tog). I do a lot of paid gig work and for that the 70-200 2.8 is a no brainer. When I'm not an official tog there is no way I can get a normal DSLR in - they never fuss about compacts though.

So I'm looking for a compact DLSR equiv - as small as possible. I did look at Canon's G series but they did nothing for me (for the money) and again they're a bit inflexible. Really interested in 100mm and less equivalent for casual use - from what you've said (and borwsing through here) it doesn't seem like the market is mature yet in terms of stable platforms or decentish glass. Like you say from looking at it the mid-zooms seem to give pretty compact scale performance which is a shame.

I meant the pictures being saleable quality, not the cameras!

The XZ-1 is the best all round lens, by a longshot. It's F1.8-2.5 which is miles ahead of anything M43 can do in that territory. But it's fixed (obviously) and the image quality is below Alamy's standards which is a pretty good measure. Not scientific, but it's enough to cast doubt if you need to be able to sell them. But it's a fantastic walkaround.

I'd tend to say you're going to have problems finding something that does everything you need. But they are very good - I'm very happy with the GF2 as a second camera.

DB - I think it is worth looking at the GF2 and GX1 plus the Pen I guess. I also had a play with the Sony NEX 5N and 7 yesterday and was impressed with both although the 7 is pretty expensive.

I was playing with the Gx1 and the nex5n yesterday too.

Can't decide which to get so thought I'd get involved and take some test pics and have a good fiddle.

The only real conclusion I drew was that I preferred the feel of the Sony but couldn't get away from the fact it felt more like a gadget than a proper camera.

Will still probably get one though cos it's very nifty.

Something m43 sounds like the best match for you, with some compromise. Sony NEX gives you better image quality/DOF, but no matter how much they shrink the bodies, the APS-C sensor requires larger lenses than m43; NEX cameras often look to me like an iPod balancing on a bean tin. They also don't have the lens choices at this stage. The only place m43 really falls down is the lack of fast zooms...

Body wise, the Olympus E-PL3/E-P3 or the Panasonic GF2/GX1 are probably your best bet. All jacket-pocketable with a pancake on. Panny GF3 and Oly E-PM1 are pretty much toys, and the ones with the built-in viewfinders (G3/GH-2/OM-D) are much bigger.

Oly's have much better JPG colours, which may be a factor depending on how casual you're planning go here, and Panasonic have much better video. Oly do IBIS, Panny OIS (on longer lenses). You can still use OIS lenses on Olympus bodies - just turn off one of OIS and IBIS. The Olympus kit zoom is better (and smaller) than the current Panasonic, but the Panasonic kit primes are better than the Olympus ones.

Lens wise, the Olympus 9-18mm or the Panasonic 7-14mm are the two wide zoom options. Double the focal length for 35mm equivalent. The Panasonic has better IQ but is pretty big, while the Olympus has good IQ and is incredibly tiny. Plenty of people (Thom Hogan included) think the Olympus is worth the trade off. I have one myself, and love it. If you want to go prime, there's the Olympus 12mm f/2 and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.4. The Olympus is generally thought to be better (and sexy), but larger and more expensive.

For low light, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. Fairly different focal lengths, there, so it depends on what you want to do. I understand the AF in the 20mm is a bit noisy and slower than the 45mm, but both are tack sharp. If you're really rich, the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 is supposed to be lovely (but large).

Options are kind of non-existent for the 24-104 f/4 equivalent. Panasonic apparently have a 12-35mm f/2.8 on the way, but it's not here yet, and it may be Power Zoom only (which I personally dislike). No-one's cracked making a compact, fast zoom for m43 yet; with Tokina and Tamron joining the consortium the other week, there's a bit more hope. I wish there was an m43 equivalent of the XZ-1's lovely, lovely lens.

This is all opinions, so apologies if I sound like a pseudo-authority. I currently have an Olympus E-P3 and an Olympus XZ-1; I'm not an Olympus fanboy, I just bought the XZ-1, then the VF-2 EVF, then fancied something between it and my D40 in size and flexibility. The E-P3 let me use my existing EVF, and I'd grown to like the Olympus colours and customisability. The fact that Panasonic + Sony both apply a vast New Zealand Gouge also helped me decide. Very happy with it, so far.

Tiny 300mm 6.3 mirror lens announced by Tokina for micro four thirds. I take it that this particular design of lenses has fallen out of favour, partly because they are frustrating to work with due to their strange rendering of background blur. Shake would obviously be an issue (given that it is equivalent to 600mm full frame view), given how light such a setup might be, and on panasonic bodies there will be no IS. As long as it is cheap and sharp (though f/6.3 is probably entering into diffraction territory), it'll be worth a punt though.

Tiny 300mm 6.3 mirror lens announced by Tokina for micro four thirds. I take it that this particular design of lenses has fallen out of favour, partly because they are frustrating to work with due to their strange rendering of background blur. Shake would obviously be an issue at 600m, given how light such a setup might be, and on panasonic bodies there will be no IS. As long as it is cheap and sharp (though f/6.3 is probably entering into diffraction territory), it'll be worth a punt though.

I can't comment on this lens, but I can talk a bit about shooting at 300mm on m43, as I use the Olympus 75-300mm.

First up, I don't think you hit diffraction territory on a 12mp m43 until you get to f/11ish - not sure about the newer, 16Mp sensors. I certainly happily shoot up to f/9 with mine, and f/8 at 300mm.

The Olympus 75-300mm, is also unstabilised (relying on IBIS), and wobble is sort of a problem at 300mm (600mm equiv). Without in-lens stabilisation, your image doesn't get steadied on the half-press, so you're very aware of any body movement. That said, the image is well stabilised on capture, but it can make framing slightly challenging until you're used to it.

The light-weight isn't that much of an issue, as certainly with the Olympus lens (I think the Panasonic is much larger), the balance between body and lens is very good, so you don't feel too front-heavy like I used to with my Nikon setup. That said, you need a decent grip on the camera, and a lot of the smaller m43 efforts have rubbish grips - I bought the optional larger E-P3 grip, which is a big improvement.

600mm equivalent is fantastic, though. I always found my Nikon 70-300mm VR too short, and looked enviously at the Bigma wielders, even though I knew I'd probably never get around to lugging a lens that large.

Does this thing AF, then? I thought the Sony/Minolta 500mm f/8 was the only auto-focusing catadioptric lens that had ever been made. I saw someone using one of those last time I was up in Auckland, mad looking thing.

I think 'announced' is a strong word actually, apparently it is just a prototype, so it might change a fair bit before it comes to market. I hope it autofocuses, I imagine you don't end up with a lot of depth of field with these types of lenses, so manual focusing would be rather fiddly. I imagine it would be brilliant for photographing sports and wildlife though, as long as there is plenty of light.

On photozone's lens reviews, most m43 lenses seem to perform best before about f/5.6, so I assumed that was due to diffraction. Could be totally wrong though, might be down to how those lenses are optimised.

It doesn't look to have got IS, which is more or less the only thing people wanted.

A bit odd if it doesn't - I'm not a Canon user but from what I'd read I'd expected IS to be the main feature of a revamp.

If anyone's interested, I've put my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (Sony mount) in the trading folder, along with a reduced-price Jessop's voucher. I know a few people have linked to trading posts in here before but let me know if it's bad form and I'll edit my post. http://www.rllmukfor...essops-voucher/

The EF 24-70 F/2.8 has been a go-to lens for many photographers for years now, but the new version promises to cut down on chromatic aberration and increase durability.

In the upgrade department, the standard zoom gets a Super UD lens element, as well as a pair of standard UD elements they claim will help increase image fidelity across the entire frame and throughout the zoom range. It has a circular, nine-blade diaphragm for smooth blur.

The original 24-70 F/2.8 was known to be a pretty tough piece of kit, but Canon has upped the ante on that a bit, giving it better weather sealing and making it more resistive to water and dust. There's also a zoom-lock lever to protect it during transport, and a fluorine coating to protect the exposed elements.

in other more exciting news

91Xo7IJcj3L._AA1500_.jpg

http://nikonrumors.c...spx/#more-32762

so what we have here is a D700x which will be amazing for studio work, they have also announced its going to be in two models, one normal one, and a d800e which has had the AA filter removed. The raw image quality in favourable conditions should be staggering.

it has stunning video quality both in low light and its coping of rolling shutter. this is well worth a watch all the way through

D800e (without the AA) Samples - they're 20mb jpegs

trees and mountain

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_06_l.jpg

makeup geisha

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_03_l.jpg

the 2nd of those links shows a lot of fabric - one of the areas the D800e would be thought to struggle a little due to moire patternation. it handles it brilliantly.

the D800 normal IQ samples

inside a forest

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample01/img_03_l.jpg

standard wedding shot

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample01/img_02_l.jpg

insane model shot -this one looks amazing

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample01/img_06_l.jpg

more info here

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/index.htm

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

The D800e looks really impressive for studio stuff, but I'm not mad impressed by the outdoor shots from either. They're fine, but they're not much of an improvement over 5D2. Weirdly, according to one site the next Sony FF won't be using that sensor. Very strange.

So, no IS then. Stupid.

Weirdly, according to one site the next Sony FF won't be using that sensor. Very strange.

I read the same on a site which tends to get things right. Apparently it'll use a new 24MP sensor - might make sense given that it'll be another 'SLT' model (like the A77/A65) which means less light reaches the sensor. Interesting to see them back off the megapixels, for whatever reason, after pushing them with the A77.

Have any of you guys ever done any product photography? I've got to do some for work, about 500 items ranging from nuts and bolts up to car tyres. Ideally I'll get an image from the camera with the objects isolated on a white background. I've not really tried anything like this before. Do I need one of those white cube tents and some sort of lights maybe? I reckon I can get a budget of around £250 for this (camera, tripod etc are sorted).

cubes arent a bad idea, but mostly you'll need lots of light to eradicate shadows otherwise when you have to remove backgrounds, it's going to be a time consuming job.

if you have to do it on the cheap. look at cheap DIY Halogen lights from BnQ or somewhere, you could also try look for some white vynil for a background.

then knock up something like this slope_backdrop-full.jpg

Have any of you guys ever done any product photography? I've got to do some for work, about 500 items ranging from nuts and bolts up to car tyres. Ideally I'll get an image from the camera with the objects isolated on a white background. I've not really tried anything like this before. Do I need one of those white cube tents and some sort of lights maybe? I reckon I can get a budget of around £250 for this (camera, tripod etc are sorted).

I've done little bits. It's really hard.

The D800e looks really impressive for studio stuff, but I'm not mad impressed by the outdoor shots from either. They're fine, but they're not much of an improvement over 5D2. Weirdly, according to one site the next Sony FF won't be using that sensor. Very strange.

So, no IS then. Stupid.

I can't think of a single Canon lens which got IS in the MkII. At most they make another model which sits above the existing one (see 70-200 range or the new wide lenses today). The MKIIs normally improve the optics more than anything else, don't they? The 24-70 would presumably be a bit too heavy and expensive with IS?

Might be wrong, I rent most of my stuff so always get the newest available at the time. My knowledge is not exactly encyclopaedic.

Also, anyone paying an extra grand for the new coating etc is mental.

I can't think of a single Canon lens which got IS in the MkII. At most they make another model which sits above the existing one (see 70-200 range or the new wide lenses today). The MKIIs normally improve the optics more than anything else, don't they? The 24-70 would presumably be a bit too heavy and expensive with IS?

Might be wrong, I rent most of my stuff so always get the newest available at the time. My knowledge is not exactly encyclopaedic.

Also, anyone paying an extra grand for the new coating etc is mental.

Sort of, but it's a slightly different situation with that one though, since they have the basically-the-same 24-105mm positioned below it by being f4 (and cheaper) but being better due to having IS.

I doubt it'd get much heavier and price isn't exactly something they tend to fuss about. So...Stupid.

It probably is just a quick cash-in from people who need to have the latest.

EDIT: While I'm here, Jacobs seems to have a bit of a sale on:

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/s-147-jacobs-snow-sale.aspx?Order=Popularity%2Cdesc&PageSize=50

They've knocked £40 off the Panasonic 20mm to make it £249 and £800 off the M9, making it the cheapest currently for both. And quite a few others as well.

Interesting quote from Dpreview on the new Canon lenses: "Ultimately, the most interesting thing about these launches is the fact that Canon feels the need to update various full-frame lenses, almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing." They stopped short of adding a knowing wink.

Have they got a high MP (30+) model in the offing?

Interesting quote from Dpreview on the new Canon lenses: "Ultimately, the most interesting thing about these launches is the fact that Canon feels the need to update various full-frame lenses, almost as if something likely to test the quality of its existing versions was in the offing." They stopped short of adding a knowing wink.

Have they got a high MP (30+) model in the offing?

I'd not noticed the other lenses - 4 stop IS in a 24mm F2.8 seems really weird and makes the lack of it in the 24-70mm even stranger.

I know it's a pre-order cost, but bloody hell ~ Canon EF 24-70mm MkII

Looking at the weight I bet they could have kept it at under 1Kg if they opted for an IS version.

It's a mental price increase on the mark one, I doubt many will pay it.

Besides, you can just upgrade your lenses for $15!

Sort of, but it's a slightly different situation with that one though, since they have the basically-the-same 24-105mm positioned below it by being f4 (and cheaper) but being better due to having IS.

I doubt it'd get much heavier and price isn't exactly something they tend to fuss about. So...Stupid.

It probably is just a quick cash-in from people who need to have the latest.

EDIT: While I'm here, Jacobs seems to have a bit of a sale on:

http://www.jacobsdig...esc&PageSize=50

They've knocked £40 off the Panasonic 20mm to make it £249 and £800 off the M9, making it the cheapest currently for both. And quite a few others as well.

I've got the 24-105, it's definitely not better than the 24-70. :(

I'm planning on switching my 7D to a 5DMKIII and switching my 24-105 to a 24-70 at some point. Or going for primes. I love primes.

It's a mental price increase on the mark one, I doubt many will pay it.

Besides, you can just upgrade your lenses for $15!

I've got the 24-105, it's definitely not better than the 24-70. :(

I'm planning on switching my 7D to a 5DMKIII and switching my 24-105 to a 24-70 at some point. Or going for primes. I love primes.

Yeah, I've got the 24-105 too. That's the one that I took and got fixed and now has broken again - not massively impressed and it's not perfect even when it's working. But IS is useful, loads of the time spent using the wide end won't be done wide open but despite low light. I'd probably still pick it for that reason (and size).

Guys, I'm looking at getting a DSLR soon and in the main I want it for photographs. Was thinking of pairing it with a 50mm f1.8 canon prime to start. I do need it to record some video though too at 1080p, though this video is only going to consist of filming a static scene with someone reading from an auto-cue for a project at work. Beyond that the video won't be used.

Could anyone suggest which Canon body would suffice for this purpose. I'm bloody clueless. Would be able to spend up to £500, and don't mind buying second hand.

I was going to suggest the 550d too, should be able to get what you want for around that.

Been using my GH2 a fair bit recently whilst doing some workshops, some lovely shots but I'd really like a nice 25mm for it now. Damn them for being so expensive, the Voigtlander f0.95 one especially :(