Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

The last rumour I saw of note was that it was going to be a minor upgrade, more of a finishing off waiting for the big posh 4k one at some point late in the year/2013.

Unless they're sticking to the schedule they had before the quake, I don't think they're going to rush out anything non-Olympics related of note early this year to be honest.

X100 update -

received it earlier this afternoon. havent been out with it yet, but ive taken a dimly lit messy bedroom shot at 2000 ISO and was staggered by the image quality, that was in JPG too. once Lightroom 4 has finished downloading i'll see what the RAW files are like.

my older SD card is a bit slow at writing RAW files, so i'll need to get a new superfast one, but other than that i'm fairly impressed. hopefully this weekend i'll be able to get some nice images to show you.

as for the build quality and buttons, The shutter Release button for my hands, is in a more or less perfect place. It also came with a nice soft release button screwed into the button which makes things even easier to handle. Ive taken this off to see how the button is in relation to the Exposure Compensation dial, but it's fine without it on too.

the buttons on the back don't feel anywhere near as cheap as i was expecting them to be and feel solid enough. the circular back dial isnt too bad, but could have been improved by being 20% bigger. Still havent quite got my brain around the UI and shooting menu's yet, but they seem to be the most mental thing about it.

The special EVF, Optical viewfinder is amazing really clear and definitely something canon and nikon could do with.

It came with the offical hood, and official case. the official case is a bit crap, the holes dont line up with the camera body, and the case or a half case, is something i'll probably want to upgrade. I think i'll also invest in a thumb rest that slots into the hot shoe.

so far so good.

Olympus are supposed to be announcing a new M43 body early next month, which will begin a new line called the OM-D. It looks like it might have the 16mp sensor that the GX1 and G3 have, along with a built in viewfinder weather sealing (hmm). Similar to what happened with the GX1, pictures have been 'accidentally' released and turned up on rumour websites. It sounds like it's going to expensive, but not nearly where the new Fuji is. I feel that Olympus will want to trade on nostalgia after the success they've had with the pen branding, and they'll probably give it a viewfinder hump so it looks like an OM. Boo.

I realised earlier that I would be cheaper buying a second-hand XZ-1 than a new lens for my GF2 and I was more or less poised to buy when I checked Alamy and the XZ-1 is specified by name as being on their unsuitable camera list. The GF2 is specifically listed as accepted. Aside from scuppering that plan, what a stupid rule. I suspect it isn't anything more complicated than 10mp vs 12mp as well and since they used to insist on people making their images bigger in photoshop rather than just handing over the original file that is the most ridiculous position ever.

Hmmph.

I'm going to have a proper pixel peep at a bunch of Flickr pics, see if I can find any justification for it. £240 for a second hand XZ1 vs. £180 for a second hand 20mm is a difficult comparison.

The only thing, Alamy aside, is that my GF2 has a 5 year guarantee.

Hello folks, I've kind of been absent from the photography part of the forum since starting at uni. I've not really had the time to use the SLR and I'm kinda thinking of getting rid of it for something more compact as I don't use my SLR due to bulkiness.

I'm currently using a Canon 20D with various lenses, but what I'm looking for is something more compact that also does video. It will mainly used for nights out, gigs and the odd landscape photo/climbing photo, is there anything that springs to mind in the £350 bracket (I'm ok with second-hand and cheaper the better tbh). I still want decent photos so I'm not really prepared to go down the £100 point and click route basically.

I hope that makes sense and that someone can help me, or at least point me in the right direction!

Thanks

Well after looking about a bit since my last post and reading reviews I think I'm going to go for a GF2 with the 14mm lens, unless anyone has anything else to input? They are going for £298.99 in Currys so I'm going to go and have a look at one tomorrow morning I reckon :)

Just one thing I'm not crystal on is what lenses fit these cameras, I'm not sure what fitting to search for!

That's interesting to know! Really I need to hold one and use it a bit before I go buying anything, I might see it and instantly not like it.. I just need something more compact as my Canon isn't getting used as much as my shitty Kodak point and click, so there is something quite obviously wrong :(

If you read the last few pages of the thread there's been quite a lot of discussion over micro four-thirds and high-end compacts.

Personally, I went for the Olympus XZ-1 over an interchangeable lens camera, mainly because I've also got a DSLR that I'm happy to lug about when it's needed. The XZ-1 has been fine for me - copes superbly in good conditions and quite well when lighting is tricky. I've had some disappointing results but I honestly put that down to not having yet used it enough and learned how to play to its strengths and minimise its weaknesses.

The last rumour I saw of note was that it was going to be a minor upgrade, more of a finishing off waiting for the big posh 4k one at some point late in the year/2013.

Unless they're sticking to the schedule they had before the quake, I don't think they're going to rush out anything non-Olympics related of note early this year to be honest.

Lots of pics of a new body out there at the moment:

B3J8584-575x383.jpg

Could be 7D MkII but there's no popup flash.

That's interesting to know! Really I need to hold one and use it a bit before I go buying anything, I might see it and instantly not like it.. I just need something more compact as my Canon isn't getting used as much as my shitty Kodak point and click, so there is something quite obviously wrong :(

I got rid of my SLR in favour of the Panasonic GF3 for exactly the same reasons. It still does pretty much everything I need and is a lot smaller and easier to carry about. With the pancake lense it fits in a pocket and you can get an 14-45mm for when you need a bit of zoom.

Also worth keeping an eye out here for the best price when you do get round to buying it!

Never used the GF3 myself, but tbh if you can get a used GF1 I'd probably go for that instead, the image quality is identical as they have the same guts. Using the GF2 and particularly the GF3 creatively seems to rely on the use of the touchscreen. I expect you would be able to pick up a GF1 for very little, or a G1 maybe. The 14mm isn't a very versatile lens, being a prime that isn't particularly fast or sharp. It is tiny, but I can't imagine who'd need a lens to be smaller than the 20mm. That is the ideal first lens for micro 4/3, imo. If you need a zoom, then maybe go for the 14-45 instead.

The GF-1 is a hell of a lot cheaper (at a glance), but I quite like the idea of a touch screen and a warranty if I buy a new one.. I'm going to ponder over it for a bit and see if I find any prices that really grab me. I could probably sell my SLR and lens and make money on it if I buy a GF1, I'm just really unsure what lens to get as it'll be used for a lot of portrait photos on nights out and wide angle shots in the countryside.. I want to try and keep it compact though.. blah.

Might go for a GF-1 with 20mm lens and get an extra 14-45 for when I go out and about.. hmm hmmm hmmmmmm!

The XZ-1 is a bit shit for video, the GF2 is a long way ahead of it on that front. On all other matters it's not far behind at all and if video is only going to be quick family stuff I'd consider it very carefully. It's probably ahead.

Never used the GF3 myself, but tbh if you can get a used GF1 I'd probably go for that instead, the image quality is identical as they have the same guts. Using the GF2 and particularly the GF3 creatively seems to rely on the use of the touchscreen. I expect you would be able to pick up a GF1 for very little, or a G1 maybe. The 14mm isn't a very versatile lens, being a prime that isn't particularly fast or sharp. It is tiny, but I can't imagine who'd need a lens to be smaller than the 20mm. That is the ideal first lens for micro 4/3, imo. If you need a zoom, then maybe go for the 14-45 instead.

That's a really harsh review of the 14mm. f2.5 compared to f1.7 isn't much different, depth of field isn't really going to make much difference on an effective-28mm lens. It's basically a foot at 5 feet:

f2.5:

Subject distance 5 ft

Depth of field

Near limit 3.87 ft

Far limit 7.05 ft

Total 3.18 ft

In front of subject 1.13 ft (35%)

Behind subject 2.05 ft (65%)

Hyperfocal distance 17.1 ft

Circle of confusion 0.015 mm

And if it was f1.7:

Subject distance 5 ft

Depth of field

Near limit 4.19 ft

Far limit 6.21 ft

Total 2.02 ft

In front of subject 0.81 ft (40%)

Behind subject 1.21 ft (60%)

Hyperfocal distance 25.5 ft

Circle of confusion 0.015 mm

And less than a stop in terms of light isn't much to panic about, at all. And being a wide lens, it's not really made for low-light use anyway. And it's really not worth noting the difference in sharpness:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2011/01/comparison-lumix-14mm-vs-lumix-20mm.html

The centre is identical, the corners are a bit sharper on the narrower lens but that isn't a massive surprise but there really isn't much difference. And on every other measure (size, weight, speed/accuracy of AF etc.) the 14mm is significantly ahead. And on the important one, cost, it's infinitely ahead. GF2+14mm is £300ish, 20mm alone is £280ish. That's a big difference.

The 14mm isn't a particularly exciting lens, but it is a very good one for what it does. I find 28mm to be too wide really, I don't like it much as a general lens and I'll probably be buying the 20mm, give or take, tomorrow. But that isn't because the 14mm is a bad lens, it's strictly down to the type of images I like taking.

You're right, it is much cheaper, but imo it would be redundant if you had the 14-45 or similar. The performance at the wide end is better or as good as the prime. In most situations, the extra light-gathering ability is moot, because the zoom is stabilised and lets you select a slower shutter speed. The field of view isn't very versatile either imo, it just isn't a 'walkabout' lens like the 20mm is. It just doesn't have many of the advantages that a cheap prime should, aside from size and cost. I imagine if that's was your first lens for the system, once you get a few others you wouldn't touch it again. I don't think it's a very good long-term investment, unless of course its focal length particularly suits what you want to do.

The 14-42mm (the slightly cack one) is the standard kit lens for the GF2, not the 14-45mm so you're spending either way, and if you're doing that the new 14-42mm X (or whatever it's officially called) is interesting too just because it's tiny. The 14mm is nice for landscapes and anything that doesn't have people in it, and personally size is pretty much the most important factor when I'm in M4/3 mode so it wins on that count.

But with prices as they are now they're basically paying you to take it away and for that sort of price it's fantastic.

Well I did it, I bought a GF-2 with the 14mm lens for £279.. I'll play around with it for a bit and look out for a 14-45mm on the cheap in the mean time. I'm sure it will cater for all my needs, will let you know how I get on.

I'll be putting my 20D with kit lens, carry case, and 8GB card up for sale tomorrow and I'll also have a 50mm f1.8 for sale too.. just need to figure out prices.

Have a look around at dpreview for camera's you're interested in, for the GF2 it's http://www.dpreview....anasonicDMCGF2/

Since the GF2 is a micro-Four Thirds camera, it uses the micro-Four Thirds mount. That means Panasonic and Olympus micro-Four Thirds (and other 3rd party lenses) will fit that camera.

You might always want to look at other mirrorless camera's such as the NEX-series from Sony, the NEX-5 and 3 might be available for comparable prices as well (though will likely have larger sizes).

Perhaps, though, even a smaller Canon camera, such as the 600D, will be small enough for you - you can then keep all your lenses, and they have excellent video capabilities.

Either way, I would recommend to go to the store, and actually hold them in your hand before choosing one smile.gif

EDIT: It appears I missed the last comment made by Zomby... making this post look somewhat out of place!

Edited by rev-happy performance