rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

Man i want me one of those !

Iso 6400 looks pretty useable for smaller prints, amazing.

Anyone else here used a 1 series Canon ? They shoot totally different to the normal Canon DSLR and i prefered my 30D but aparently everyone says that until they are used to them !!

Best buy that lottery ticket this week.

I've not seriously used any other dSLR than my (quite scuffed up) 350d. I saw a 5D in the shop the other week, wow what a fatty. And the 1Ds are even bigger...

My 350 with a 50mm lens fits into my big jacket pocket quite easily. So dinky.

Call that a lens? THIS is a lens... :(

No. That's an access denied message.

Okay guys. I'm going away for about a month and a half round europe.

Recommendations for equipment (just generally)

Shooting with a D70.

Playdoh, it depends on what you're going to shoot, but I assume you mean a walk-around lens, in which case it'd look at something in the range of 17-100mm. I'm not really up to speed with the lens offerings for Nikon though.

You might be able to score an 18-200 VR though, I heard it's pretty good for the range ;)

Stebbo, you should see the f2.8 version. The f4 version is still regarded as something you can easily carry with you :wacko:

managed to pick one up on fleabay for £428. The cheapest I could find online otherwise was £640ish which was over £100 cheaper than jessops (where I managed to play with it for abit, love at first zoom)

I just ordered this off ebay today. Can't wait for it to get here.

Sigma 70-200

Now thinking of selling my canon 28-105 F4L to get some fixed lenses.

Nice lens.

Make sure it has good focusing - i tried one that front focused really badly, it can be fixed if you send it back to sigma.

What fixed lenses would you look at, Canon make a stunning 85mm lens thats silly cheap and well worth owning :angry:

On that note I really need to properly test my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 - I'm never quite sure if it front focuses or not :S

Is that the EX ? I have one and it marginally does, not enough to be worried about. I will replace it with the Canon L at some point so im not too worried about it

Yes (24-70D 1:2.8 EX DG, to cite all the gubbins on there). My suspicions are pretty much based on that holding the camera at arms length and taking a photo of myself will result in 90% of the images being focused on the bridge of my nose, whereas my Nikon 50mm 1.8 will usually focus on my eyes. Can't say I've noticed it occuring in any other situation though.

Without making myself sound too foolish here, what am I looking for here and how do i test the lens to see if it has this short coming?

Got the lense last night and played with a few zoom / macro shots. Will upload them later and point you too them.

You can do it with a test, here's a PDF which might be of use to you:

http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Personally, I think that if you don't notice it in your picture at the normal view you use, I wouldn't make yourself crazy about little things that might be off. From forums a lot of people seem to pixel-peep at pictures at 100% and check whether or not it's technically the most excellent picture out there...

Of course, if its just bad, then obviously do something about it :wub:

Good luck :wub:

I've just picked up a 400d, can anyone reccomend a decent carry case for it ?

I'll be travelling with it, and taking it to the F1, so dont want anything too bulky, but somethign that offers good protection with a couple of extra pockets would be great.

I've just picked up a 400d, can anyone reccomend a decent carry case for it ?

I'll be travelling with it, and taking it to the F1, so dont want anything too bulky, but somethign that offers good protection with a couple of extra pockets would be great.

I have one of these: http://jessops.com/Store/s6690/0/Outfit-Ba...ex=1&comp=n

Enough room for a body+lens, 2 other lenses and has pockets on the front, inside and back (although the back one is thin so better for paper, maps etc). Has a waterprrof cover sewn into a small pocket on the underneath of the front that unzips and covers the entire front,sides and top of the bag)

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_B.../Nova_1_AW.aspx

That looks great - thanks, there is a Jessops near where I work so i'll pop in on Monday and check it out.

I usually carry a rucksack with me to the F1, do you think this bag would fit inside ?

That looks great - thanks, there is a Jessops near where I work so i'll pop in on Monday and check it out.

I usually carry a rucksack with me to the F1, do you think this bag would fit inside ?

On occasions where I've taken my camera to work, it just squeezes in there. if it's a decent sized rucksack, and theres not too much in it, it should be fine (I get the camera bag, a lunch box and some mags in mine

www.slrgear.com

Just been browing this site. Lots of reviews of SLR lenses basically. A bit like Fred Miranda but with one nice touch. If you see the 'Blur' graph on a tested lens, you can click on that to open a little interface which shows you the sharpness across the focal length and aperture settings. Not all lens copies are the same but it's nice to have an indicator.

Also handy to look at your current lenses and see what the best settings are for sharpness. But also enlightening to see where the money goes in the very good lenses. The Canon 135mm F2 L being so very...very..sharp. Man I want that lens. About £450 on ebay.

I'm looking at getting a new lens. But as with so many other things it's all about compromises. If only canon could make a sharp, clean 18-200mm F2.8 L IS lens that was fairly compact. I bet it would be a big seller even if it cost £2000.

I've got a Canon EOS 400D with a Sigma 17-70 DC Macro lens, a Velbon Ultra Luxi F Tripod and a hoover and some brushes and stuff for cleaning the chamber ;)

No I haven't, I have a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 18 - 70 AF-S ED lens and the same tripod.