Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

The Panasonic one is OK (apart from the fact it's too short for round the neck and holding out in front of you), but my Canon one saying "EOS 5D MKII" always makes me cringe when I look at it. It really feels like it's saying "I'M A CORPORATE ADVERT - HAVE YOU CONSIDERED MUGGING ME?", which I don't really appreciate.

I absolutely hate having the logo on the strap - I've ordered a sling strap after trying one out at my camera club. I found it a lot better than a round the neck type strap.

I hadn't seen the cashback offer, no! Thought they were only doing it on the PEN range. I hope this doesn't mean thery're bringing out a new model next week...

Thanks for the tip.

It was a build-up-to-Christmas offer. They recently extended it though, so I don't think it is a clearing out one.

If it is, take consolation in the fact it won't be you who gets killed at work.

You're welcome, anyway.

Awesome - just ordered from Wex.

Sweet - post a mini-review when it arrives, I don't know of anyone in the English Speaking World who has one yet.

No idea where I'll get one down here in NZ, and Wex only ship within the UK. Would any of you gents be able to act as a proxy, if required? I can pre-send the funds via PayPal.

Have you seen there is £40 cashback for the XZ1? You didn't mention it!

http://www.olympus.sales-promotions.com/

The Panasonic one is OK (apart from the fact it's too short for round the neck and holding out in front of you), but my Canon one saying "EOS 5D MKII" always makes me cringe when I look at it. It really feels like it's saying "I'M A CORPORATE ADVERT - HAVE YOU CONSIDERED MUGGING ME?", which I don't really appreciate.

3373038231_225c610f44.jpg

Bad. (Not my pic).

Up until yesterday I had my 5D MkII strap on my 400D setup, by far the most comfortable stock strap I've had, but you do get some odd looks from people with cameras.

I absolutely hate having the logo on the strap - I've ordered a sling strap after trying one out at my camera club. I found it a lot better than a round the neck type strap.

I've just stuck a sling type on the 400D, it feels great and should easily allow the use of another lighter camera around the neck if need be (one of the reasons I tried out a sling).

I've got two concerns with it though:

1. Going to have to be careful in crowded/tight areas, the camera can easily swing and take a knock.

2. Possible point of failure where it attaches to the camera, so I ordered a Uni-Loop as additional security:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/straps/op_tech_connectors_uni_loop/19746_p.html

I so wish I had seen this before I ordered my sling though, it looks great:

http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

Sweet - post a mini-review when it arrives, I don't know of anyone in the English Speaking World who has one yet.

No idea where I'll get one down here in NZ, and Wex only ship within the UK. Would any of you gents be able to act as a proxy, if required? I can pre-send the funds via PayPal.

Will happily do so. Some of my colleagues are going to NZ later this month so could even get them to post internally to save some cash.

Andy

Anyone have any recommendation for adjustable camera straps?

I am actually looking for a Rangefinder style strap, I really do like Luigi's and the Artisan & Artist 103N but pfffft, sod am I paying that much.

Cheers

i wouldn't take my cameras anywhere without using a BlackRapid strap. they're the most comfortable straps there are. I've had a D3s with 70-200 2.8 which weighs a fucking tonne on it all day and not felt the strain at all. I can't rate them highly enough. There is the SunSniper range of straps too which has a leather variant. I wasn't too keen on the SunSnipers when i got my BlackRapid straps, but they seem to have upped their game.

Seriously fuck proper camera straps they're all shit. use a sling style strap even just for an hour and you'll never go back.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en.html

I've got the Black Rapid RS-4, if I were to go for another it would be the Luma Labs Cinch.

However, I would only want a long-ish neck strap as it's for a lightweight compact camera ~ Something I can have over the neck/should and to be used when I've also got the Black Rapid on (going to have to test it first to see if they would work together mind you).

I bought myself a Canon S95 last week which can take pictures in RAW. I'm running Elements 7 which pre-dates the camera and seemingly no longer receives camera raw updates from Adobe. Am I basically screwed without buying a newer version of Elements?

Lee nd hard grads ordered:) better not be any bloody colour casts on these or I'm going to gonfucking ape shit!!

Anyone cleaned their own sensors???

Yep, I've got the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly.

1. Cleaned my Canon 400D many times, never had an issue.

2. Cleaned my Canon 50D once, screwed up, sent it off to Canon (free of charge) for a Pro Clean.

3. Never touched my 5D MkII since the 50D incident

Like a tool I picked up some lubricant on the Arctic Butterfly from the outer edge of the sensor, spreading it across the whole of the sensor *facepalm*

I bought myself a Canon S95 last week which can take pictures in RAW. I'm running Elements 7 which pre-dates the camera and seemingly no longer receives camera raw updates from Adobe. Am I basically screwed without buying a newer version of Elements?

Looks like you can update:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220

If it fails you can look into the free DNG Converter:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5310

Can I ask where you picked it up from? I'm currently weighing up my options with a higher end compact and was looking at one of these or possibly an LX5. With the cashback offer posted above, the Olympus XZ-1 is in the running now also.

Ok, so first off I am an idiot...

Was setting up my camera on the tripod on the table to do a couple of test shots. In my infinite stupidity I hit the quick release on the head that the camera screws into.

The camera fell a few inches and it seems ok, however are there any basic tests I can do to make sure?

no physical damage to the lens or glass (had the cap on still, with UV protector) or the camera body itself.

Hope all is Ok, doesn't sound like it's taken too much of a knock.

I've only had it a week, so still under warranty. If anything it will remind to be more careful when doing things. Double checking everything.

I've only had it a week, so still under warranty. If anything it will remind to be more careful when doing things. Double checking everything.

Test everything obvious things like the flash, less obvious things like the infra-red sensor for the remote. I'd bet it would be fine - they're certainly designed to take knocks as well as possible, but one obscure thing going wrong would be a lot better to find when you've had it a week than in 6 months when you use whichever-bit for the first time.

Any recommended write-ups on Sharpening people could link me to? Not a "use exactly these settings in Photoshop" kind, more of a conceptual thing.

I have sharpening dialled up a notch in my cameras, and I suspect I'm overdoing it a bit, but I don't really know how to find the sweet spot. I understand it's easier to add than take away. Plenty of people talking about dialling down sharpening on the E-P3 :ph34r:

Any recommended write-ups on Sharpening people could link me to? Not a "use exactly these settings in Photoshop" kind, more of a conceptual thing.

I have sharpening dialled up a notch in my cameras, and I suspect I'm overdoing it a bit, but I don't really know how to find the sweet spot. I understand it's easier to add than take away. Plenty of people talking about dialling down sharpening on the E-P3 :ph34r:

PostPixPlz.

I do it all in lightroom though on an individual basis though, so I'm not going to give a very straight answer anyway...

Two interesting releases today from Canon and Fuji respectively. The Canon G1X (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canong1x/), large-sensor compact(ish) seems to indicate that they're not joining the mirrorless interchangeable lens club. Shame about the max f5.8 aperture at the long end of the zoom.

Then there's the lovely-looking Fuji XPro-1 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/)...APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses. EDIT: Ouch! Approx price - $1700 plus c.$650 for a lens.

post-5447-073837400 1326142609_thumb.jpg

post-5447-037119200 1326142703_thumb.jpg

The Fuji does look lovely (particularly the bit about the sensor outresolving the 5D). That bit that looks like a self-timer is apparently the viewfinder/lcd switch, lovely retro touch. I also think the general concept is brilliant, shooting with the optical viewfinder and framelines with wide lenses, and using the lcd for tele. Though it seems you'll need a converter for the latter, at least for now. The price is a bit crazy, but then again it does appear to be the most capable mirrorless camera yet. It does seem to be a little on the large side too, compared to its competitors.

The GX1, NEX-7 and this are all quite mouthwatering cameras in their own right, what a wonderful choice we have. Just have to hope the level of competition drives prices down... isn't mirrorless the most profitable section of the market right now?

Lightroom 4 beta!!

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-4-beta/introduction-to-lightroom-4-beta/

The clarity slider no longer Estes halos, turning it into an instant win slider!

Localised adjustment brushes (grad filter adjust brush etc) improved... They have added temp and noise filters to thm do you can adjust for instance the noise in only a part of the image

Looking good, will try it out tonight

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/

Interesting to see they're going to allow you to tinker more with video footage including adding Presets.

I'd always wondered if they'd start trying to increase that functionality with Lightroom given that DSLR video has been on the rise for some time.

Video editing of any kind is the last thing I want. Don't be daft adobe. Anyway I was just thinking about the next version of LR last night, so I'm rather excited to play with this.

Yeh Pope, I was editing a picture with mutliple light sources last night. Temp changes by area would have been easier than using colour tints!

Some Fuji x-pro videos out. Turns out they've done a Leica, and removed the AA filter, plus ditched the Bayer pattern on the CCD in favour of a more random 'film like' pattern. Proof will be in the RAWs, and it is a bit pricey but it could be the camera the X100 was supposed to be. Watch out for dodgy focusing and a nasty UI.

That new Canon is presumably the herald of a new range of cameras in the same way the X100 was the herald for these. The only trouble is that the XPro-1 is probably a bit big for what it wants to be (I found the X100 to be too big to consider seriously, it was a long way from pocketable) - it's not going to be much different to a 600D which will be significantly cheaper, even with an equivalent lens attached it would still be ahead.

We'll see. Choice is a good thing.