Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Cheers for all your thoughts folks, think I'm going to get a 10-22 and a 18-55 IS.

Well, I went into my local camera shop to have an actual look/feel of the lens I've been considering and they had a mint 'used' 18-55 IS for £75 so went for that rather than bugger around with Ebay. Definitely going to get a EF-S 10-22 too because they're lurvely.

The down side of going into an actual shop was that I got seduced by a used, but mint only a few months old, Sigma 30mm 1.4 which made my trip £285 more expensive :D

Maybe a stupid question. But does shooting in 3:2/4:3 affect image quality?

Like how a monitor should be displaying at it's native res, similar thing to that or not?

EDIT: Andy, where did you get that case!

Nah, I doubt it, I've never heard of aspect ratios affecting image quality.

Well, I went into my local camera shop to have an actual look/feel of the lens I've been considering and they had a mint 'used' 18-55 IS for £75 so went for that rather than bugger around with Ebay. Definitely going to get a EF-S 10-22 too because they're lurvely.

The down side of going into an actual shop was that I got seduced by a used, but mint only a few months old, Sigma 30mm 1.4 which made my trip £285 more expensive :D

Congrats! I've got the 30mm f1.4 Sigma as well, it's a great lens :)

(So too is the 18-55mm IS btw, it's one supersharp little lens!)

Maybe a stupid question. But does shooting in 3:2/4:3 affect image quality?

Like how a monitor should be displaying at it's native res, similar thing to that or not?

Not as such, but on a 4:3 sensor you're throwing away a few pixels if you set it to shoot 3:2.

You don't see 'em like this often: Former Olympus CEO fired when enquiring about dubious payments of over $600 million.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101815olyceostory.asp

From that link:

- video: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/87cbfc42-f612-11e0-bcc2-00144feab49a.html#axzz1aoDOz2gc

- pdf of said former CEO: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/business/20111018/letter-text.pdf

In putting the company first, the honourable way forward would be for you and Mori-san to face the

consequences of what has taken place, which is a shameful saga by any stretch of the imagination.

That guy has got some balls writing letters like that to the chairman, and good attitude in the video! :)

You don't see 'em like this often: Former Olympus CEO fired when enquiring about dubious payments of over $600 million.

Yeah, this wasn't want I wanted to see after making a substantial investment in Olympus gear. But it's hard to be sure how it'll affect the camera division. Olympus is essentially a massive medical equipment company with a camera division stuck on, only contributing about 14% of income. The corruption has all been in dealings by the medical divisions, and I'd imagine will have more affect on the purchasing decisions of government bodies than those of Joe Highstreet.

It's a bad news story, and damages the brand. On the other hand, Olympus have been unaffected by both the Fukishima Earthquake (which affected Nikon, Sony and Panasonic), and now the flooding in Thailand, which has apparently damaged Nikon and Sony's plants there beyond the point of recovery. Those are the plants that make all the Nikon bodies up to and including the D300s (FF bodies are made in... Fukushima), and the Sony A65, A77 and NEX-7.

So, the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 will be up against a reduced field this Quarter, with minimal stocks of two of the big conventional SLR competitors, and at least one of their top-tier mirrorless rivals. I think there's something called Christmas coming up, too, plus US consumogasm Black Friday.

I think the Camera Division stands to do very well indeed, and move back into profit. It would be a real pity if shenanigans at the parent company conspired to take it down, or if they got bought by Samsung or similar.

Yeah, this wasn't want I wanted to see after making a substantial investment in Olympus gear. But it's hard to be sure how it'll affect the camera division. Olympus is essentially a massive medical equipment company with a camera division stuck on, only contributing about 14% of income. The corruption has all been in dealings by the medical divisions, and I'd imagine will have more affect on the purchasing decisions of government bodies than those of Joe Highstreet.

It's a bad news story, and damages the brand. On the other hand, Olympus have been unaffected by both the Fukishima Earthquake (which affected Nikon, Sony and Panasonic), and now the flooding in Thailand, which has apparently damaged Nikon and Sony's plants there beyond the point of recovery. Those are the plants that make all the Nikon bodies up to and including the D300s (FF bodies are made in... Fukushima), and the Sony A65, A77 and NEX-7.

So, the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 will be up against a reduced field this Quarter, with minimal stocks of two of the big conventional SLR competitors, and at least one of their top-tier mirrorless rivals. I think there's something called Christmas coming up, too, plus US consumogasm Black Friday.

I think the Camera Division stands to do very well indeed, and move back into profit. It would be a real pity if shenanigans at the parent company conspired to take it down, or if they got bought by Samsung or similar.

Agreed, I don't think it will affect the actual end-consumer.

The article does indicate that shares have fallen sharply since this news, but I cannot imagine Olympus going away anywhere soon - simply too big, and 600+ million must somehow be peanuts for them on the long term.

I am interested in how this will work out though!

its explainable by this diagram (been a bitch to find a decent one after trying to replicate it in Paint as ive forgot my Photoshop!)

aperture.jpg

its all about understanding what the red text and the lines mean

area within the two | | 's is the focus - inside this part ranges out of focus on the left of the left line, to sort of in focus on the left line, to better focus well inside the left line, perfect focus in the very middle of the lines, and back out again towards the right.

the amount of space in between the X light rays governs how much of the image is percieved as in focus. and hence the depth of field. will be long or short.

if you have a wide aperture, the X crossover of light is goign to be fairly severe, but if you have a small aperture, lets say 2 photos wide for example, you'd get something like total focus (if you could perceive the lght from two photons because no matter when they cross, the distance between the left and right of the |'| crossing rays would be very close together.

im rambling now as i scoff my lunch at work, but i hope this ramble of no coherance and the picture, helps you

I've skimmed the last few pages of this thread, and I just wanted to drop in for a short testimonial.

For those looking to replace their kitlens on a Canon cropbody, I'd like to once again pimp the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. I bought it earlier this year second hand from some guy in Germany and it's been my main lens ever since (only replaced by my Canon 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM when I really need to zoom in on stuff). The sharpness and colours never fail to amaze me, the quality of the pictures is astounding. And the best thing is that due to its 2.8 aperture AND IS, you can still take shots in very difficult circumstances with very low light from the hip - 1/6th of a second on a static subject is perfectly doable, and my hands aren't the steadiest.

So it won't fit on a full frame ... well, that's a shame isn't it? Personally I must say that I'm so happy with the quality of the pictures I now squeeze from my lenses and 550D body, that going full frame isn't even near the top of my list now.

My 24-105 has gone tits up. Posted off to CPS today. Wonder how much its going to cost ....

Mine never got fixed properly, I'm going to have to shout at Jessops as it's out of warranty.

Forum opinion of lens changing.

I owned the Tamron 17-50, which is quite astounding in terms of IQ, and costs far less. I'd expect the build of the L lens to be much nicer though, and the AF on the Tamron's pretty shonky (generally noisy and slow, and hunts in low light). Oh and it has IS obviously. Moved to mirrorless for now (as nap says, decent glass on aps-c is always going to be bulky), but if I had the choice again I'd probably go for the Tamron simply because it costs so much less.

its explainable by this diagram (been a bitch to find a decent one after trying to replicate it in Paint as ive forgot my Photoshop!)

aperture.jpg

its all about understanding what the red text and the lines mean

area within the two | | 's is the focus - inside this part ranges out of focus on the left of the left line, to sort of in focus on the left line, to better focus well inside the left line, perfect focus in the very middle of the lines, and back out again towards the right.

the amount of space in between the X light rays governs how much of the image is percieved as in focus. and hence the depth of field. will be long or short.

if you have a wide aperture, the X crossover of light is goign to be fairly severe, but if you have a small aperture, lets say 2 photos wide for example, you'd get something like total focus (if you could perceive the lght from two photons because no matter when they cross, the distance between the left and right of the |'| crossing rays would be very close together.

im rambling now as i scoff my lunch at work, but i hope this ramble of no coherance and the picture, helps you

I totally forgot I asked about this. It makes perfect sense, thank you much!

A few tips on photographing Rally on Top Gear.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/wrc-spain-25-10-2011

I'm shortly going to be heading to the French Alps to work a snow season. I'll be taking my compact SLR, Panasonic GF-2. It's probably not going to be fast enough to capture tricks and stuff, but at least I can get some views. What kit should I take to make the most of the season? I currently have a clunky tripod, 3 lenses (20mm, 18-45mm, 45-200mm) and that's about it. Also when taking my camera up the mountains, how best to protect it both from the weather and the inevitable falls?!

Don't get me wrong, I don't do 'non-L' or EF-S either. But it's still excellent. I'd much rather have the 17-55 on a budget body than a genuinely crappy lens on a 5d MKII.

I'm just having a whinge that there isn't much of a choice in that area. I like lots of things about the 24-105 and I still think I'd choose it in a straight choice between that and the 24-70 due to range, weight, money, IS (in that order) but it doesn't mean I've got to be particularly impressed with it. It's fine...I just think there ought to be a something more than one of those two, even if it cost more.