Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Having got a grip for my XZ-1, this would solve my other main gripe with the camera. When I can buy this?

Random Chinese Ebay sellers are usually the best source of JJC gear, although I did notice my LCS had some of their hoods and lens caps in stock now, so they may be gaining more mainstream acceptance. You can get them from Lensmate too, but I think they only have the old fat one at the moment.

I've bought from this guy, who seems to be the only person specifically offering the new slim version.

6140486305_0bc144d9d6.jpg

6141142594_9e68cc4e31.jpg

Had a play with a friend's Nikon macro lens with the Raynox dcr-250 the other day and I'm hooked! Want to get a macro lens for my Canon. Has anyone got anything to say about the Tamron 90mm and the Canon 100mm?

I remember someone on here showing off some pictures using the Raynox magnifier a while back and I was very impressed - if I could fit one on my 70-200 (min focusing 1.5m - filter size 77mm) I'm guessing the results wouldn't be great anyway but I don't understand the mechanics of it so if someone on here knows what they're talking about be interested to hear if this would be a cheaper way into macro photography. Raynox adaptor only fits up to 67mm filter size anyway and don't know if there's an alternative.

I remember someone on here showing off some pictures using the Raynox magnifier a while back and I was very impressed - if I could fit one on my 70-200 (min focusing 1.5m - filter size 77mm) I'm guessing the results wouldn't be great anyway but I don't understand the mechanics of it so if someone on here knows what they're talking about be interested to hear if this would be a cheaper way into macro photography. Raynox adaptor only fits up to 67mm filter size anyway and don't know if there's an alternative.

That probably would have been me. I think the Raynox is basically a diopter. Perhaps there are 77mm options out there.

6140486305_0bc144d9d6.jpg

6141142594_9e68cc4e31.jpg

Had a play with a friend's Nikon macro lens with the Raynox dcr-250 the other day and I'm hooked! Want to get a macro lens for my Canon. Has anyone got anything to say about the Tamron 90mm and the Canon 100mm?

You won't gain a massive amount using a Raynox on a super lens, it's a massive chunk of (excellent for what it is) glass. As long as you've got something decent it'll be fun to play with - if you're going to be selling pictures then buying an L macro lens is probably worth it, but if it's just to fiddle around and end up looking at some small stuff in a cool way then I think the Raynox is an excellent purchase and would recommend it very highly. Stick it on something like the Canon 50mm f1.8 and don't complain about how close you have to be!

That probably would have been me. I think the Raynox is basically a diopter. Perhaps there are 77mm options out there.

That's right, you had some great pictures I remember.

You won't gain a massive amount using a Raynox on a super lens, it's a massive chunk of (excellent for what it is) glass. As long as you've got something decent it'll be fun to play with - if you're going to be selling pictures then buying an L macro lens is probably worth it, but if it's just to fiddle around and end up looking at some small stuff in a cool way then I think the Raynox is an excellent purchase and would recommend it very highly. Stick it on something like the Canon 50mm f1.8 and don't complain about how close you have to be!

The L macro is probably out of the question at the minute - just want something to play around with now, who knows in the future! That Tamron seems to get great reviews for the money.

I meant I'd go cheapy (but impressive) or expensive and not really bother with the inbetween options. I'm not saying they'd not be an improvement, but if it's only to play around with I tend to think it's a bit of a waste of money.

But that's just me, obviously.

Has anyone got anything to say about the Tamron 90mm and the Canon 100mm?

I do! I've used them both. The Tamron I had was the old film version, and it had some of the worst autofocus I've ever encountered. Plus it extends with focusing. That said, the image quality was superb. The Canon 100mm L doesn't extend and has swanky four-stop IS.

If you're manual focusing and using a tripod, save your money and get the Tamron.

I just bought a second-hand Olympus FL-36R flash, because a) it's my birthday tomorrow and b) I put in a lowball bid which unexpectedly won. I'm looking forward to dicking with off-camera flash using the XZ-1.

Urge to sell my Nikon gear and go m43 is growing...

Im just waiting for my birthday present to arrive. A Sigma 70-200 for my Canon. I'm looking forward to it but, like you, I'm being drawn ever closer to switching to 43.

Im just waiting for my birthday present to arrive. A Sigma 70-200 for my Canon. I'm looking forward to it but, like you, I'm being drawn ever closer to switching to 43.

As impressed as I am with the GF2, I wouldn't want to rely on it. Every now and again it does just get in the way of taking photos in a way a proper DSLR never has.

As impressed as I am with the GF2, I wouldn't want to rely on it. Every now and again it does just get in the way of taking photos in a way a proper DSLR never has.

For me lately, my DSLR gets in the way of taking photos by just being too big to bother taking out with me. The picture quality of the XZ-1 can't really compete with it, but the DLSR can't compete with its size and convenience (or provide such a small, fast, lens). Also, the big, bright, 100% coverage VF-2 makes the finder on my D40 look like peering into a dark hole.

That said, I am missing having the option to go really long or really wide, or get very shallow DOF, and a PEN would fill the gap here. After all, I already have the viewfinder and the flash...

Posted a while ago about front focus problem. I originally thought it the problem of my canon 50mm 1.8 but after trying out another 50mm 2.0 I'm getting the same front focusing. It's by about 1cm or so on a subject 70cm away.

I did some tests using a tripod and manual focused using confirmation beep. Both shot at F2.

The centre of the Z should be in focus. I'd say the 'a' is clearly the point being focused on rather than the Z. This is killing lots of my shots when I focus on the eyes.

Thinking to contact canon about it. Camera is less than a year old so should be good for warranty. I guess I never noticed it before because lens have been limited to F3.5+ and the problem is much more obvious when shooting F1.8 - 2.8.

...Will they laugh in my face and tell me it's normal?

nikkor 50mm 2.0 on left, canon 50mm 1.8 on right. ( both shot at 2.0 though )

6145645934_486a4de50f_b.jpg

front focus by P-Zilla, on Flickr

Yes, I'm sure. I think I will end up waiting another year or so and see what happens with the format. I like my SLR and the variety it gives me but I really miss my Leica set-up. The 43 format would seem to be a good compromise all in all.

For me lately, my DSLR gets in the way of taking photos by just being too big to bother taking out with me

That's my biggest challenge too. I used to take a camera everywhere, I just don't bother anymore. Perhaps I should have gone with the new Fuji or something similar.

Posted a while ago about front focus problem. I originally thought it the problem of my canon 50mm 1.8 but after trying out another 50mm 2.0 I'm getting the same front focusing. It's by about 1cm or so on a subject 70cm away.

Can you try your 50mm on another Canon, and see if it has the same problem?

Is it less than 1cm at 2 meters with a 50mm lens? That would probably be within tolerances of most autofocus systems, including Nikon's, actually.

That is from a 2009, Nikon focused (no pun intended) article, mind.

Can you try your 50mm on another Canon, and see if it has the same problem?

Unable to try on another Canon. Everyone I know here just uses a phone to take picts.

Pretty sure its the camera, and a bit of googling found others with the same trouble.

Not exactly a cheepo camera, so I'd expect the centre focus point to be spot on when using a tripod and well lit conditions.

Sure I get the occasional spot on shot, but I guess that's due to luck, and it is fine at higher F-stops. But that kind of defeats the point of me getting the 50mm 1.8, may as well of stuck with the 18-55mm kit lens if shooting f5.6+

So, I was recently given a Panasonic G2, which I really like. It only came with the standard 14-42 lens and, in the future, I'll want to get more lenses for it.

I know nothing about this sorta thing! Should I stick with lenses made specifically for the camera or is it worth picking up cheaper lenses? I didn't realise just how expensive lenses are!

Is something like this likely to be any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500mm-P-Tele-Lens-Panasonic-G1-G2-G10-GH2-GF1-GF2-G-/330600182123?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4cf94e716b

No.

The panasonic lenses may be pricey, but they're bloody good. I have the G10 and use the 14-42 and 45-200mm lenses and I love the results. These cheapy ones on ebay aren't worth buying really.

I just bought a second-hand Olympus FL-36R flash, because a) it's my birthday tomorrow and b) I put in a lowball bid which unexpectedly won. I'm looking forward to dicking with off-camera flash using the XZ-1.

It's arrived! Christ, it's huge. Bigger and heavier than the XZ-1. I can actually get the XZ-1 and the VF2 side by side in the flash's slipcase.

It looks ridiculous sitting on the camera, and the balance is atrocious. That said, it *does* seem to do off-camera TTL RC flash though, which is a plus - the Olympus documentation on this is both sparse and contradictory. Worth it for a giggle.

It occurs to me that I know almost nothing about flash. Is there a good 101 guide out there?

There is a recommendation at the end of the random photos thread.

I've not got around to playing with it yet, but as far as I know as long as you're on manual the 580 exII fires when connected to the GF2. I suspect that is more unbalanced!

I think that one is very Canon-centric, more looking for a platform neutral effort.

It is, but (140 pages in) I don't think it'd be much of a problem. Obviously better if you're a Canon user, but as long as you've got your instructions nearby I don't think there will be that much that doesn't translate pretty obviously.

Heads up for XZ-1 owners - JJC have re-worked their auto-lens cap so it's not longer absurdly long for no decent reason. I've ordered one of the new version, looks good.

This just arrived. First impressions aren't great, unfortunately. The cap is nice and slimline (not as slimline as my DP2 cap was, but that had a different means of attachment), but it's possible the XZ-1's lens-barrel isn't designed to play nicely with this kind of thing.

The XZ-1 barrel is fairly sharp-edged, and it audibly scrapes the inside of the cap when you open/close it, with a sound like someone doing up a zip quickly. This isn't so bad in itself, but it's also scraping little bits of plastic dust off, which are sitting on the fringes of the lens barrel. Given the retracting zoom, this stuff stands a fair chance of making it into the sensor chamber, which I'm not keen on.

Might be fixable by putting some kind of smoother surface (electricians tape?) on the inside of the lens cap, but at the moment I'm using it warily, and don't really trust it.

dpreview post informal first impressions of the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and they seem to like it. They posted a picture of it on the GF1 and it looks gorgeous, which is of course besides the point, but all the same I'm very pleased they don't clash. I have one on order and I want it now please. My guess is that this is a lens which will at the very least hold its value, it seems demand will be very high initially, so part of me thinks they will actually raise the price. It should be a bit like the Panny 20mm f/1.7 which isn't going to get cheap any time soon either.

Apparently you can put Nikon SLR lenses on these with an adapter, so at 2.7crop a 50mm f1.4 would be 135mm? Would there be a usable f-stop reduction too?

Interesting developments, but all this micro EVIL stuff tends not to tempt me. Cameras that lack an optical viewfinder seem unusable to me nowadays. The experience of holding a camera to your eye is so much more involving. Just as using a TLR also 'feels' different.