Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Cloney has/had one.

edit: linky no worky. Search "XZ-1" in the random photos thread.

And in here.

But the shortened version is "V.good" so you've definitely got nothing to worry about.

I've been looking at the welding glass 'big stopper' as well recently which is a piece of shade 10 welding glass superglued to a screw on ring adapter both of which can be bought from ebay for a few quid. People have been getting some great results with it and I love the whole frugal photography aspect of it.

Piston Heads Forum Link - Lots of Photos

I've also just bought one, for £1.50 it's worth a shot as I already have the screw adaptor! Thanks for the link!

The shade 10 welding glass is reckoned to be about 14 stops of light darker than without and allows massively longer exposures even in daylight.

This is basically a cheap version of the big stopper filter which costs about a hundred quid.

An ND fader is graduated which allows you to expose the foreground and sky correctly when one is brighter than the other.

Yeah he loved it... right up until it retired itself by going for a swim

http://philipbloom.net/2011/02/06/death-of-a-beautiful-camera/

(I was just about to post the laughing smiley, but I know if that was me I would be upset).

I see lots of stuff on Vimeo showing off the capabilities of the GH2 - to me it looks like a pretty amazing choice if you want to get into that. Even the stuff with the basic kit lens look impressive and it's what makes me think if I got one I'd be tempted to use it more than I do with my 60D.

After even more time chewing it over I'm pretty tempted to bite the bullet and get one, but I know I'll end up doing this `:omg:` for at least another week before actually coming to a final decision.

It's meant to be very impressive for video - take a look here.

Yeah I've seen some really fantastic looking stuff shot on it, I just wondered if anyone on here had some first-hand experience with it. :)

I shoot a lot of live stuff and the ridiculously speedy AF really appeals, as well as the price. After reading/watcing this it really piqued my interest.

Cool cheers.

My extension tubes and softbox turned up today the tubes seem a pretty good quality metal construction, no electronics so it will be manual all the way with these my 50mm 1.8 has an aperture ring so should be fine.

The softbox is made of cheap vinyl and doesn't seem very good quality and I'm going to have to tape the joins with black tape to stop light leakage. Should work pretty well though will try them out when I get home.

Right, here's my shopping list:

Glass (I went for shade 9 - around 11 stops)

52mm Adapter Ring for Cokin P series Filter

Tripod (Not sure how well this is going to work, as you'd expect for £7 its not terribly sturdy)

Remote Shutter Release (This is from Hong Kong so will be another week or so before it arrives).

No sign of the adapter ring today which is a shame. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Edit: I've just seen the postage on the adapter ring is quoted as 5-12 business days, despite the item apparently being in the UK. <_<

I had a super quick play this afternoon, but without the remote shutter I'm limited to 30 sec exposures which isn't really long enough when the clouds were as still as they were today. I used some masking tape to attach the glass to a normal filter for the test shots and its surprisingly solid.

I used an iPhone app to work out the exposure, you set the number of stops of filter you have and the shutter speed without the filter and it tells you the shutter speed you need to use with the filter. I worked backwards due to the 30 sec limit, went to shutter priority and set it to 1/60 (what the app said would be 30 secs with filter) and made a note of the aperture. Then in manual mode I set the same aperture and shutter to 30 secs, attached the filter and took the picture (use the self timer to avoid shake as you press the button). The result looked well exposed and just super green. :D

Yep, had a few test shots there and got similar results, I've figured out the contacts on the camera so might pop up to work and get some wires and a switch and see if I can make a release up! 30 seconds doesn't do enough really! Will also need to see if the tint can be recovered by shooting RAW! Still, it's good fun trying this sort of stuff out!

Anyone have any extension tube advice, as when I attached the ones I've just bought to my 50mm 1.8 Nikon lens I cannot focus on anything I just see blurryness through the viewfinder they are purely tubes so none of the on camera controls work and I have to change the aperture on the lens but throughout the aperture range I cannot get it in focus.

Any advice?

I'm thinking of selling off all of my DSLR kit. Will probably list it up properly in the trading section soon.

I have

Canon 450d (branded as Kiss x2)

kit lens

Canon 100mm macro 2.8

Canon 55-250mm EF-S

Sigma 10-20mm

Canon 50mm 1.8

Tamron 28-75 2.8

Lowepro bag that fits all of the above with space left over (will get model no. later)

Manfrotto 190xprob tripod with good manfrotto ball head (can't think of model number of hand)

Finally got all my bits through for the welding glass filter and tried it out tonight. It wasn't ideal as it was a very still evening but at least I could get a couple shots off in the garden.

Firstly here's my wonderful creation. It's all held together with blu-tac & masking tape:

6026154347_287de6acd9.jpg

Welding Glass by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

And attached:

6026153401_c573ba4fc1.jpg

Ready to shoot by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

I took a control pic without the filter to get an idea on settings:

6026672502_aba629d672.jpg

No Filter by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

Next is a 30 sec exposure with the filter:

6026673730_bb92fbd49f.jpg

Green! by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

You can see some blurring in the clouds and tree, but mostly you see green!

I forgot to switch to raw, so these were all jpegs. Still, I managed to get it looking like this in Lightroom:

6026119457_c83e4ed794.jpg

Not quite so green by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

...and finally the cheater way of converting it to black & white:

6026675388_dae605e38f.jpg

B&W by Mr_Jon_Evans, on Flickr

I'm planning on taking the camera to work tomorrow to try and get some proper shots of London. I could really do with me remote shutter switch turning up to get some better results.

The best way is to set a custom white balance on the camera so the images start out a lot closer to reality. I've yet to get that to work myself though.

To get rid of most of the green you simply need to slight the tint slider all the way to the right in lightroom. This leaves the image looking very desaturated, so at this point I started playing with all the sliders trying to get it looking normal. Im hoping this would be easier if I'd shot RAW, so will see how I get on tonight.

I can't get my head around this at all. :blush:

I'm trying to set a custom white balance in the camera (Nikon D3100). I'm taking a pic with the glass on of a totally grey scene (which comes out green). I then go to the white balance settings, select custom, then "Use Image" and select my plain green pic. Now when I take another picture with that white balance and the filter in place I'm expecting the picture on the camera to show roughly the right colours, but it comes out exactly the same as if I'd just left it on AWB. :unsure:

I'm thinking of selling off all of my DSLR kit. Will probably list it up properly in the trading section soon.

I have

Canon 450d (branded as Kiss x2)

kit lens

Canon 100mm macro 2.8

Canon 55-250mm EF-S

Sigma 10-20mm

Canon 50mm 1.8

Tamron 28-75 2.8

Lowepro bag that fits all of the above with space left over (will get model no. later)

Manfrotto 190xprob tripod with good manfrotto ball head (can't think of model number of hand)

Posted it up today if anyone's interested. DSLR gear for sale link