Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

the problem with getting a 550d or 60d is that you will always have that nagging feeling "what if I had gone for the 7d..."

Not me. Because I do macro stuff, the flip out screen was a massive selling point. It's quite handy for video, too...and any other photo where I want to put the camera near the ground. It's awesome.

Now, if they had a 7d with a flip out screen...

When are Canon's revisions? Is it worth holding out for a few months to see if they release any new models?

5d2 upgrade is anytime between next week and Christmas, probably announced soon and released somewhere right in the middle. 7D upgrade probably won't be too far behind that, 6 months-ish. 600D and 60D will be at least 6 months after that, probably 12 months so they're definitely safe to buy.

For those of you running Windows Vista or Windows 7 (I'm guessing 99,9% of you :P), Microsoft released an updated Microsoft Codec Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

Blog: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2011/07/26/photo-gallery-now-supports-raw-format.aspx

Which now means you can get thumbnails in Explorer for RAW-files!

Tried it with my 7D on Windows 7, it works perfectly (no restart required!).

Note that newer camera's like the Nikon D7000 and Canon 60D are not yet supported:

• ◦Canon: EOS 1000D (EOS Kiss F in Japan and the EOS Rebel XS in North America), EOS 10D, EOS 1D Mk2, EOS 1D Mk3, EOS 1D Mk4, EOS 1D Mk2 N, EOS 1Ds Mk2, EOS 1Ds Mk3, EOS 20D, EOS 300D (the Kiss Digital in Japan and the Digital Rebel in North America) , EOS 30D, EOS 350D (the Canon EOS Kiss Digital N in Japan and EOS Digital Rebel XT in North America), EOS 400D (the Kiss Digital X in Japan and the Digital Rebel XTi in North America), EOS 40D, EOS 450D (EOS Kiss X2 in Japan and the EOS Rebel XSi in North America), EOS 500D (EOS Kiss X3 in Japan and the EOS Rebel T1i in North America), EOS 550D (EOS Kiss X4 in Japan, and as the EOS Rebel T2i in North America), EOS 50D, EOS 5D, EOS 5D Mk2, EOS 7D, EOS D30, EOS D60, G2, G3, G5, G6, G9, G10, G11, Pro1, S90
  • ◦Nikon: D100, D1H, D200, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D300, D3000, D300s, D3X, D40, D40x, D50, D5000, D60, D70, D700, D70s, D80, D90, P6000
  • ◦Sony: A100, A200, A230, A300, A330, A350, A380, A700, A850, A900, DSC-R1
  • ◦Olympus: C7070, C8080, E1, E10, E20, E3, E30, E300, E330, E400, E410, E420, E450, E500, E510, E520, E620, EP1
  • ◦Pentax (PEF formats only): K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K200D, K20D, K7, K-x, *ist D, *ist DL, *ist DS
  • ◦Leica: Digilux 3, D-LUX4, M8, M9
  • ◦Minolta: DiMage A1, DiMage A2, Maxxum 7D (Dynax 7D in Europe, α-7 Digital in Japan)
  • ◦Epson: RD1
  • ◦Panasonic: G1, GH1, GF1, LX3

Excelent! I guess the lack of support of new cameras is one of the downsides of Raw files, the factt hat it's not actually a universal standard and that the manufacturers don't release any information on their raw files, so MS/adobe etc have to reveres engineer them, hence different apps display raw files slightly differently to each other.

Excelent! I guess the lack of support of new cameras is one of the downsides of Raw files, the factt hat it's not actually a universal standard and that the manufacturers don't release any information on their raw files, so MS/adobe etc have to reveres engineer them, hence different apps display raw files slightly differently to each other.

DNG could easily have been a universal standard if Adobe weren't so keen for it to belong to them. The whole thing is genuinely stupid.

EDIT: But good that there are previews now. Obv. Apart from the fact the GF2 isn't on the list.

Is it really? It looks pretty feature packed, with a lot more settings than your average holiday snapper would ever use.

Oh, absolutely - but still enthusiast, rather than pro.

Which now means you can get thumbnails in Explorer for RAW-files!

Canon have always released their own codecs that work great. It's nice to have them all in one place and all, but I've only got one type of camera.

Canon have always released their own codecs that work great. It's nice to have them all in one place and all, but I've only got one type of camera.

That's true, it's just that, afaik, Canon never supported 64-bit OS's.

I've seen workaround whereby you could then start Explorer as a 32-bit process, which would then show the thumbnails - but that's far from ideal...

Personally, I always just shot small jpg + RAW, exactly for easy viewing of images in Explorer.

Christ, only had my 600d a few months but seriously considering that as a second camera! Especially with Lightroom, amazing deal. :(

Edit: In fact if you get it off Amazon you'll also get a free SLR bag and you can claim a free photography pack worth £230 and a five-year warranty, or a free £30 Amazon gift certificate. :wacko:

Edit 2: Ah, the giftpack is Lightroom.

In fairness, it was inevitable with the release of the GF3.

Probably, but the GF3 is a bit shit - a GF2 with a list of useful features removed (hotshoe being the most obvious) so I thought they'd be able to sell them off without a big price drop.

C'est la vie. And I really like it too - quirky as hell and I find it considerably harder to work with than the 5d2 I'm used to, but it is a loveable little thing. For £330 it is a massive, massive bargain. Anyone considering it...go for it.

I'm just finishing putting together a blog, I'll do a proper write up of it on there.

Hi

Really quick question: I want to take some really long exposure photos in the dark. On my ancient Nikon EM film camera this was no problem because it would happily meter the correct shutter speed for basically as long as it took - minutes and minutes. Hours and hours probably. My D50 has 30 sec shutter speed and 'Bulb' which seems like a retrograde step compred to a camera made in the 1970s - anyhoo.... I can't be arsed to sit there with my finger on the button all night. Can you buy a remote release that will allow you to open the shutter, go away, and then come back and press the button again to shut the shutter? If so, can anyone recommend a particular model.

Many thanks.

It's like that as the sensor has to be connected to electricity to read the light coming and obviously heats up more the longer it has to do so. All it'd take is a couple of bumps and the shutter could be left open in a bag and the camera would fry itself.

They're better designed than they were so it's not that much of a concern (a hundred 30 second exposures would have the same effect after all), but they still try and make it difficult in case.

Probably, but the GF3 is a bit shit - a GF2 with a list of useful features removed (hotshoe being the most obvious) so I thought they'd be able to sell them off without a big price drop.

Many consider the GF2 a 'bit shit' compared to the GF1. :-) Loads of buttons/features removed.

The important thing here is that the GF2 and GF3 are aimed at exactly the same market. I guess that's not good for retailers, so the former has to go...

Many consider the GF2 a 'bit shit' compared to the GF1. :-) Loads of buttons/features removed.

The important thing here is that the GF2 and GF3 are aimed at exactly the same market. I guess that's not good for retailers, so the former has to go...

I'd much, much, much rather have a touchscreen, using it for auto-focus and shoot is fantastic and makes it much, much faster to use. It even makes manual focus much nicer - touch, it zooms, focus, shoot. And losing AEL/DOF button isn't exactly the same as losing the option for an external flash and EVF.

They're almost certainly not the same market, a GF3+ with everything put back on (and probably some more stuffs) is v.strongly rumoured for the end of the year.

Right. Someone in Dumfries spotted my photos from the Wickerman festival and they have invited me to put a quote in for photography at Youth Beatz 2011 (It is a one day "festival" in dumfries for under 25year olds. Will have artists like Chipmunk, Basshunter and Wagner).

Anyway, they are looking for a Pro and Amature photographer. Obviously I will fall into the Amature category, so that is what I will put in my quote for. Thing is, I have never done anything like this officially before, so I don't know how to go about writing the quote etc, and how much to ask for. Here is the spec sheet they sent me:

Overview: To provide a high quality, comprehensive photographic record of Youth Beatz 2011. To capture each individual element of the event, also atmosphere and reactions from audience attending. Pictures will be used for evaluations, press coverage and promotional materials for future events. There will be one professional/one amateur, you will be official photographers for the event and will be expected to provide exclusive photographs to sponsors etc. Pass will be issued for backstage and pit area in front of stage.

• Daytime – 1pm-5pm. To provide a minimum of 2 high quality shots of each activity including; Funfair zone, Display Zone, Inflatable zone, Sports Zone, Information Marquee. To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of CLD “Wonderland” area. To provide minimum of 1 high quality shot of each performance on Main Stage and provide minimum of 6 high quality shots of audience reactions at main stage. To provide minimum of 6 high quality shots of whole site, capturing the scale of the event. To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of Wagner’s activities, including autograph signing session, times to be confirmed.

• Second Stage – There will be a second stage featuring local band near the bandstand. This stage will operate between 2pm and 6.30 pm. To provide a minimum of 12 high quality shots of performers throughout the day and a minimum of 12 high quality shots of audience reactions at the second stage throughout the day.

• Meet and greet with Headline acts – Signing tent, time to be confirmed – will be between 5pm-7pm. To provide minimum of 2 high quality shots of each group of sponsors/competition winners with headline act. Also provide coverage of other acts’ meet and greet with the public.

• Evening – 6pm-10.30pm. To provide minimum of 2 high quality shots of each performance on main stage. To provide minimum of 6 high quality shots of audience reaction at main stage. To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of headline act performance (first two songs only permitted). To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of audience reaction to headline act performance. To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of whole site, including funfair rides, capturing the scale of the event.

• Fireworks display – 3 minute display at end of headline act’s last song, approx. 10.20pm. To provide minimum of 12 high quality shots of firework display, which will be fired from behind the main stage.

• Picture to be supplied on disc within 5 days of event.

• Copyright would be given to D&G council

• Site plan and running orders will be provided prior to the event.

• Payment will be made on receipt of disc, satisfying all conditions above.

As the top says, I'm not sure how to go about putting this together for submission, and how much to ask for. Could any of you more experienced folks offer any advice? Thanks a lot :)

That is quite a list. If you don't provide a suitable number of "high quality shots" what are they going to do? Who decides the quality? Considering they are taking copyright which is a horrible thing to do, don't think they won't be evil as they already are being. Where are the "high quality" shots going to be used? Are we saying cropping is out of the question as they are large prints, or can you get away with quite large amounts?

136 "high quality" shots with various different approaches in a single day is rather intimidating.

I won't go as far as saying it is a massive con, but go into it with your eyes wide open. And don't offer a low price.

And losing AEL/DOF button isn't exactly the same as losing the option for an external flash and EVF.

The GF2 also lost the mode dial, drive mode lever, the remote release socket (actual features, of course, not just options), plus options for 2nd curtain sync, flash exposure comp...

Unsurprisingly, the GF1 is the camera with the cult following among enthusiasts, not the GF2.

a GF3+ with everything put back on (and probably some more stuffs) is v.strongly rumoured for the end of the year.

The series spin-off will be an upgrade of the GF1, not the GF2/3. Happy to wager £20 with you that it won't have a touch screen.

Has anyone here got experience of selling their shots on canvas for example? I went to an abandoned Pepsi factory in Cambodia and got some quite arty shots - friends have commented that they could see it on a living room wall etc. Anyone got experience of doing this?

Also, I bought the 35mm 1.8f for the Nikon and it's a beaut. Really sharp photos when it comes to people and animals, landscapes ive not seen too much difference. Don't really use my kit lens anymore! If you're thinking about getting one, it's a +1 from me!

The GF2 also lost the mode dial, drive mode lever, the remote release socket (actual features, of course, not just options), plus options for 2nd curtain sync, flash exposure comp...

Unsurprisingly, the GF1 is the camera with the cult following among enthusiasts, not the GF2.

The series spin-off will be an upgrade of the GF1, not the GF2/3. Happy to wager £20 with you that it won't have a touch screen.

They lost the mode/drive mode as they're one click on the touch-screen. I've literally never been in a situation where I've needed to change either more quickly than that.

The others are slight losses (although the chances of using either for much more than novelty when using GF as a second camera are almost nil) I'd still trade it all for a touch-screen. It's the only way using auto-focus on compact without a viewfinder works. You can line up the shot and focus where you want and not need to check it hit the right spot or recompose.

It moves the best part of iphoneography into a good camera and for something I am carrying around I want it to be as quick and simple to grab shots as possible. I'm sure it being a second camera for me does affect my opinion of it quite significantly though, that is obviously a significant consideration in my opinion of it.