Photography Equipment & Software Thread

What ever you do though, go to jessops and pick up cannons, nikons, maybe pentax and sonys and see which you like the feel of.

Definitely do this. I did loads of research and narrowed my choice down to a D40x or 400D. I went in to Jessops to try them and knew I wanted the D40x as soon as I held it.

The kit lens i was looking at isn't that bad! (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II) Unless that is the IS version, doesn't say here. I wouldnt go for anything over f/6 really anyway unless doing telephoto shite. Ill have a look at the links though, cheers.

No, that's not the IS version unfortunately ;)

I don't think it's actually bundled with the 400D, but you can always just buy the 400D body and get the IS lens on its own.

I really would go over f6 for the current kitlens, because of sharpess issues. It's sharpest around f8, see here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/ca..._3556/index.htm

I really would go over f6

Wouldn't or would?

Obviously being new to this stuff, i just considered anything slow would just mean more likely to blur, granted if you have a tripod landscapes don't move but still a lot of brightness is required so low light shots are a no no?

Ive seen a 400D with the IS lens (froogled it) but generally it looks like they aren't as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of my interest in photography recently, had a closer gander at my mothers and it seems to have the features that i would obviously expect in a DSLR. Had a piss about in manual mode and came up with some nice random shots, though its not so great in low light. Its a Fujifilm S5500 so by all means its not a compact. I think ill give this camera a chance for a month or two then see if DSLR really is worth it for me.

I'm torn in a four way condundrum:

1: "My D50 does everything I need really, so I'll stick with it till it breaks."

2: "Though the extra MP of a D80 would be useful on occasion..."

3: "But if I'm upgrading I might as well spend that bit extra and get a D200..."

4: "And if I'm spending that much I might as well go the whole hog for the shiny new tech of the D300..."

Lol. Realistically it's probably a choice between one and four, cos if I give into the general upgrade temptation then the other barriers will tumble like a house of cards!

I'm torn in a four way condundrum:

1: "My D50 does everything I need really, so I'll stick with it till it breaks."

2: "Though the extra MP of a D80 would be useful on occasion..."

3: "But if I'm upgrading I might as well spend that bit extra and get a D200..."

4: "And if I'm spending that much I might as well go the whole hog for the shiny new tech of the D300..."

Lol. Realistically it's probably a choice between one and four, cos if I give into the general upgrade temptation then the other barriers will tumble like a house of cards.

D80's can be had with £50 cashback at the minute, and im sure they would satisfy your upgrade temptation! I dont see the benefit of going up to the D200 over the D80, as spec wise I cant see a huge difference. But im the same, I always want more than I actually need! :D

Speaking of that, im hopefully getting a flashgun for christmas, just gonna go for the SB-600, anyone had any experience with it?

Yeah, that probably would be the most sensible route (or second most, after the "stick with the D50" :D). I think the £50 cashback is only if you buy the camera with a Nikon lens though, which I'm not really in the market for (although in some respects it would be nice to have the lighter Nikon 18-70 as a general "walkabout" lens, rather than the ridiculously heavy Sigma 24-70 f2.8 which I use at the minute, saving that for when shooting gigs etc).

Yeah, that probably would be the most sensible route (or second most, after the "stick with the D50" :D). I think the £50 cashback is only if you buy the camera with a Nikon lens though, which I'm not really in the market for (although in some respects it would be nice to have the lighter Nikon 18-70 as a general "walkabout" lens, rather than the ridiculously heavy Sigma 24-70 f2.8 which I use at the minute, saving that for when shooting gigs etc).

Ah, didnt think about that, ive got the 18-135 version on mine, cracking lens, just a bit rubbish in low light though! The cashback is only when bought with a lens though.

Has anyone had any experience insuring their camera gear for travel abroad?

Looking to insure:

Canon 1D mkII

70-200mm 2.8

17-40mm f4

Speedlite 580ex mkII

and

Macbook

So about £3800 worth of gear. Planning to be in South East Asia for 1-2 months then maybe the same time in the states (but would be back in the UK in between so not one long trip...) - haven't had any experience insuring gear seperately and no idea where to start (usually use Direct Travel insurance for trips).

Any advice?! Cheers

I dunno, the D200 strikes me as a better camera, as it's positioned above the D80.

I wouldn't let your decision on what to buy depend solely on the opinions of people.

Have your read the reviews and do you know the differences between them?

Do the differences matter to you?

I'm pretty sure that the D80 with an external flash will give better results than a D200 without.

I'm sure i could *ahem* borrow when i *needed* it. Atleast until i can sort my own.

I wouldnt be so sure :D

It looks to me like the build quality on the D200 is obviously better, and more buttons for easier access to controls, but i never have to go into menus on the D80 to change anything. But then, if I held a D200 it'd probably make me want one anyway......but im like that.

Ignore the CF one.

I just buckled and went for a decent one but slightly smaller.

Bags though. Suggestions?

I so don't have the money to have done this! Oh well! :wub:

I use a Crumpler bag. Holds everything I need and doesn't particularly look like a camera bag.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a replacement lens for the kit lens on a Nikon D70? Its a little too wide angle for some things, and id like something that can give me good depth of field. Something I can use as my all rounder lens. Not too expensive though, too close to christmas!

I'd strongly recommend www.kenrockwell.com - the guys got some real down-to-earth advice. Stuff that actually makes sense rather than chasing those sometimes pointless pro tips designed to make us all feel inadequate. His site is about taking good photographs with what you've got. He does review other brands of kit too, but the technical guides are great and easy to read. He uses Nikon kit so it's a great site if you're a Nikon user, but the technical advice of course applies to anyone.

I've got a pile of old family and art slides that I want to digitize soon, so... what are the best priced 35mm slide scanners out there that scan at a reasonably good quality resolution?

I'm afraid I have no clue whatsoever which are the most reliable brands and in terms of cost I'm not loaded at the moment but I like to be tempted sometimes.

I really just want a rough idea of what brands to avoid, or a good review acquired through personal experience maybe.

I've got a pile of old family and art slides that I want to digitize soon, so... what are the best priced 35mm slide scanners out there that scan at a reasonably good quality resolution?

I'm afraid I have no clue whatsoever which are the most reliable brands and in terms of cost I'm not loaded at the moment but I like to be tempted sometimes.

I really just want a rough idea of what brands to avoid, or a good review acquired through personal experience maybe.

I use a Nikon one at uni.. think its about £400 though. Not the most affordable. Nice results though, and great resolution. (4000dpi).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, hope it's OK to post this here!

I've finally got my first dSLR camera, a Canon EOS 400d with the basic pack in lens. I'll be out and about at the weekend practicing with it and getting used to the controls. Next week though, I have my first opportunity to use it properly as I will be photographing my friends band playing a gig in London. Clearly I'm unlikely to get any photos to set the world on fire, but does anyone have any basic/handy tips for a noob when shooting a live band?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :lol:

Just got myself a Nikon D80 with the 18-135 lens, although I had to take the first one back to the shop after getting it home and the till monkey at Jessops gave me the wrong memory card, then getting back and noticing a dirty great black blob on the sensor, so finally managed to exchange it today and all is now well.

Lovely camera just got to learn how to use it, expect a load of shite in the photo competition thread.

...does anyone have any basic/handy tips for a noob when shooting a live band?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :(

Nice camera for a first dSLR.

I don't know what the kit lens on the 400d is at the moment but my tips would be to shoot as big an aperture as possible and at High ISO so you can get some sort of speed in the shutter. My real advice is to get the canon 50mm f1.8 lens (under 60 quid) as it's a great lens for the price and worked well for me at gigs.

Try not to use direct flash, I tend to not use flash at all for gigs but I'm not really an expert.

I've been looking at cameras again. By that I mean "a 400d with the 50mm" - how big is this entire package? I want to put it in a (large) pocket, really, or just pop it into my small manbag. Reckon the 50mm would catch me out or will I just learn to work around the focus distance?