IGNORED

Console Hardware Sales

MDK

If I was Sony i think i`d be a little disappointed, not managing to sell more than the 360 after trying to show how much more powerful my machine is must be a small let down..

I think you mean "expensive", it's not much more powerful. It's similarly powerful, with different strengths and weaknesses. I see you've said they're "trying to show" that, but let's not permeate the myth that it's this ultra machine.

You mean, there are fewer people in the UK willing to put down £500+ on a console bundle than £180?

*Drops monocle into brandy*

Exactly, you understand the situation. The problem is that retailers are saying pre-order demand is unprecedented. Which it isn't. That was my only point.

You can't seriously be suggesting the good people at Sony/MS/NOA are joining forces with their respected retail partners to create the illusion of a successful quarter despite the traditional post-Xmas lull with sales figures being very respectable considering current market conditions? Outside now.

Just seen this very pro Nintendo article on FT.com. Sounds like they are really on the up.

Wii outsells rival consoles

By Leo Lewis in Tokyo

Published: February 21 2007 12:57 | Last updated: February 21 2007 12:57

Nintendo‘s Wii video games console has soared past Microsoft’s Xbox 360 in sales and opened a big lead over Sony ’s premium-priced rival, the PlayStation3.

Sales momentum for the Wii, which was launched last November, is so strong that many analysts are raising their outlook for how well it will succeed in drawing entire families into video gaming.

Yoshiyuki Kinoshita, an analyst at Merrill Lynch, now predicts that by 2011, one-third of all Japanese households and 30 per cent of all US households will own a Wii.

In the US, where it was widely assumed the Xbox 360 had established a leadership position in the current round of “console wars”, NPD Group research showed that 436,000 Wii machines were sold in January against 294,000 for the Microsoft model, which has been on the market a year longer and outsold the Wii in December.

The Wii continues to sell out on delivery in electronics stores in the US, Europe and Japan, and changes hands on auction websites at an average 35 per cent premium to the usual retail price of $250. Potential buyers in Tokyo queue for up to three hours to stake their claim on forthcoming shipments.

According to NPD Group research on the US games market, only 244,000 PlayStation3 units were sold in January despite the machine’s wide availability and offers of free games to console buyers from many retailers.

In Japan, where Microsoft has struggled to make its presence felt and Sony has a cult following among hardcore games fanatics, January saw even greater dominance by the Wii.

Research by Tokyo-based Enterbrain suggests that out of combined January sales in Japan of some 600,000 consoles, Nintendo racked up a 68 per cent share against 25 per cent for the PS3 and 7 per cent for the Xbox 360.

Since the Wii and PS3 were launched in November, the Nintendo machine has flown off Japanese shelves at twice the pace of the PS3. The PS3 has yet to even hit the market in Europe.

“This is clear evidence that Sony needs to get the PS3’s act together, because it is in poor shape right now,” said Hiroshi Kamide of KBC Securities.

Although the console war between the three next-generation machines is in its early stages, analysts believe that the position already established by the Wii could ensure its supremacy for several years – the critical period in which Sony had hoped to win the market over to its more powerful, sophisticated PS3.

The Wii has differentiated itself from its rivals with motion-sensitive controls. Some analysts had assumed that its initial appeal would quickly fade in the face of the raw computing power of the PS3. Games like Wii Sports, where the handheld controller is swung to mimic a golf club or boxing glove, were expected to have limited shelf lives.

“There has always been a strong concern that the Wii was gimmicky,” said Credit Suisse analyst Jay Defibaugh, “but each passing month assuages that.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/58c00a80-c1a9-11db...0b5df10621.html

Big story in tomorrow's Guardian Technology on exactly this issue, but particularly focussing on the disparity between retailers claims and forum opinion. It quotes this from Otaku:

One commenter at Otaku estimated the Woolworths figure - assuming a 12-hour day, seven-day week - to mean it is taking just over 15,000 orders per week. For a chain with 800 stores, that's not bad - but it wouldn't put the PS3 ahead of the Wii.

Is that from Eighthours or am I getting confused?

The final line from the article simply states that Sony were unavailable to comment.

According to NPD Group research on the US games market, only 244,000 PlayStation3 units were sold in January despite the machine’s wide availability and offers of free games to console buyers from many retailers.

Is that true, are retailers really including free games with the console now?

No. You get nothing that's not included in the same package, much as for £180 you don't get anything on top of the standard package Wii. So, no bundles.

I see. So he was mostly right with his console bundle price.

although I'm loathe to comment on the FT article for fear of being branded a rampant nintendo fanboy - it is interesting to see how these things are panning out... faster than I would have thought.

The mainstream financial press, the kind of press that influences investors, shareholders and decision makers are now running articles that are very down on the PS3 and very positive for the Wii. This can have a snowball affect...

I'm wondering if the controller alone is responsible for this - I said a while ago that Wii Sports was one of the most important games of all time. This could end up being true...

Looking forward to seeing VC sales, Perrin Kaplan has said that they are 'astounding' and we'll see them soon.

Big story in tomorrow's Guardian Technology on exactly this issue, but particularly focussing on the disparity between retailers claims and forum opinion. It quotes this from Otaku:

Is that from Eighthours or am I getting confused?

Nah, someone worked that one out last week, based on some amusing figures from Woolworths about how many preorders they were getting per minute.

although I'm loathe to comment on the FT article for fear of being branded a rampant nintendo fanboy - it is interesting to see how these things are panning out... faster than I would have thought.

The mainstream financial press, the kind of press that influences investors, shareholders and decision makers are now running articles that are very down on the PS3 and very positive for the Wii. This can have a snowball affect...

These were exactly my thoughts too.

Usually the press gobbles up the Sony hype, but clearly something has gone quite wrong this time for mainstream publications to be writing this stuff so soon.

Not sure it's the controller though - do mainstream gamers care about that? More likely the price I reckon. Also, with people having huge DVD collections these days, and only a relatively small proportion with HD ready TVs, is it also too early for Blu Ray?

I can't understand why Microsoft aint selling more 360's. The machine cleary has the better software and online gaming than all the current crop of "next Gen" machines.

Is the Wii just more popular because it cheaper and has Zelda?

I'd say Wii Sports is doing far more to promote it than Zelda. Sometimes all it takes is one game.

I can't understand why Microsoft aint selling more 360's. The machine cleary has the better software and online gaming than all the current crop of "next Gen" machines.

Is the Wii just more popular because it cheaper and has Zelda?

I'm not sure online is quite the selling point its made out to be. Not everyone wants to play online.

As for better software that's just a matter of opinon rather than fact. The 360 obviously has a far bigger range but they fairly narrowly focused.

Of course they do. Wii sports + wiimote is a revelation. Practically everyone can enjoy it.

Of course... and I believe that the PS3's controllers are the worst of the 3 'next gen' controllers out there.

What I meant is, having a slightly sub-standard controllers has never hurt playstation sales in the past - is that really the reason the PS3 is not selling?

the wiimote has converted a lot of people out of novelty addmittedly but once you've got the box, you'll buy those games, a friend of mine who isn't a HUGE gamer has only a PS2 and a wii and started spurting about how exciting project hammer and mario galaxy looked to him. I haven't heard him sniff at new MGS or anything and he's a big fan of the series.

i'm finding this probably the most interesting of all the generation transitions definitely...