rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

Ikaruga fighter WIP

Yeah, i'm not sure who did it...a friend just passed it on when he saw what I was doing. Kudos to whoever made it though (i'm sure I could find out if I could be bothered to trawl CGtalk).

Fausto De Martini. If you want the mag I can post it on, I was just gonna throw it in the recycle bin....I'm finished with it.

Detail whore! - Nice work though. As for the texture I think its important that you at least darken/lighten sections to break it up a bit. Try doing a paintover of the render in photoshop, make it look awsome then apply it to the model.

Yeah, that's the plan. Different metallic shades will help to separate the various mechanical parts and bring out the desirable detail.

That Fausto bloke is annoyingly good isn't he... I remember seeing his entry for the CGTalk Man/Machine competition that's on there. Great stuff. I might change my name to something more exotic sounding to lend more of 'classic artist' feel to my work. :(

Ooh, I wouldn't mind a look at that mag if it's not too much trouble, PM'd. :(

EDIT: I just realised... I said I didn't know who created the image...the guy's name is written at the bottom. D'oh! :(

Ok, it's been a while, so due an update I reckon! Also: I need a break... :P

So, i've been painstakingly unwrapping the UVs, and here it is with the UVs all nicely arranged.

ikaruga5.jpg

If you've no idea what i'm talking about, don't worry, it's not in the slightest bit interesting, believe me.

I've been cracking on with a few textures. I was reading about the craft that is the Ikaruga, and the backstory says it was hacked together in a small village (called Ikaruga no less) by a group of elders who are secretly part of a resistance against the... (yadda yadda). This made me think 'battered' would be an acceptable state for it to be in, and a far more interesting look to boot.

maps.jpg

There are three 2048*2048 maps applied for colour, specular and bump (above). I tried applying a single set of maps to the whole wing section, but the resolution I was getting just wasn't acceptable, so I broke it down into more sections. I'll end up with four sets in total now, and that's just for the wings. My three year old PC is likely to die on me, but ne'ermind eh! :o

The following images aren't actually renders, they're just screen grabs from the Maya viewport so there's no fancy shadows going on. I'll be doing proper renders at a later date (if my machine can hack it), but i'll spend time fannying about with that after i've got the textures sorted...

A piece of wing -

ikaruga6.jpg

The main gun turrets -

ikaruga7.jpg

Another shooty thing (perhaps?) -

ikaruga8.jpg

Colours and details are liable to change once the whole thing is mapped up. I'm tempted to really go to town with the damage, maybe have one wing with huge dents and bits hanging off.

Here's a special treat for anyone who's interested (hello??!)- demo of a spec map in action. :o

Thanks for any comments. :o

I knew you'd understand. :(

word. nice to see you're still working on in 28! it's looking rather spiffy i must say.

Did you ever get the model kit from hobbyfan? You'll be able to tell how much guess-timation went on with my model. :(

Thanks. :lol:

Yeah, suprised i'm still going... but i've got a lot of spare time. :wub:

And, of course, it looks fully wicked. Which must motivate you to keep going.

It really does look ace, well done.

Thanks Dude & DangerM! :lol: I was thinking of rigging and animating it too, and maybe have it skimming an ocean with its landing gears Cowboy Bebop-style. Not too ambitious am I. :wub:

I like Ikaruga a lot and this is bloody impressive. Amazing work. I hadn't seen it before. When I saw the pictures in the first post (without reading the text, of course - pictures first, always) I thought it was a photograph of the model kit. Not far wrong, but not far right either!

Thank you Jim, sorry for the delayed response! :)

As usual things are going very slowly. I've had some 'off' weeks during which I don't even touch it, so forgive me for the lack of progress. :wub:

Just a few quick renders, no shadows going on yet -

ikaruga9.jpg

ikaruga10.jpg

ikaruga11.jpg

ikaruga12.jpg

I've been pondering whether or not to vary the metal shades a bit more so certain areas are a bit more defined...less of a blob of metal. I'm just worried in case it turns into a mess. Ah well, no harm in trying to see how it goes.

The colours are liable to change. Any thoughts on the wing colours? That's how I painted my model... the model on hobbyfan looks a bit garish imo. It's kinda hard to see the colours in the game, or in the artwork. The artwork is wildly inconsistent anyway, so artistic license it is. I'm starting to think switching the shades of blue might look better... Hmmm.

Ikaruga - both the game and the ship - is named after the Ikaru [the japanese grosbeak, or the "spotted dove"]:

ikaru.jpg

It'd be nice to colour / shade / design the ship with this in mind. Yin Yang and all that.

Ikaruga - both the game and the ship - is named after the Ikaru [the japanese grosbeak, or the "spotted dove"]:

It'd be nice to colour / shade / design the ship with this in mind. Yin Yang and all that.

Well, the idea of black and white ship colours come from the bird and the idea of yin and yang, but there's not a lot of colour going on in either. :) I'm trying to be faithful to the game and there are definitely some colours going on there. The question is, which specific colours. Tricky.

I'm thinking of turning the metal a colder colour to better compliment the blue on the wings. It looks a bit brown atm. I'll never be happy with this. :)

Thanks Gunstar, but there's nooooo chance. :wub:

Lovely.

Its an amazing design really - for all the parts hanging off it still manages to look like a fantastically balanced star fighter.

You've done it much justice.

Someone should create a Starship virtual museum to see these things on display.

Lovely! Is it possible to use content made in Maya to make a game with? You could make your own simple Ikaruga. :o

Cheers. Um, a *lot* of games companies use Maya, but I can't see me making a game myself... I'd need backgrounds and enemies and... well a lot of effort and not much point really. :P

Thanks Afterbirth.

I got another set of textures done (engine interior)...and i've knocked up a little alternate polarity action. :(

ikaruga15.jpg

I find it amazing how much effort the Japanese put into shmup fighter design. Its not like you really see all of it in any detail - despite the fact its 3D.

So much work goes wasted - all those drawings and you never really use them in game, except as some bonus.

Cheers. Um, a *lot* of games companies use Maya, but I can't see me making a game myself... I'd need backgrounds and enemies and... well a lot of effort and not much point really. :(

I mean someone else could do an enemy and a background as well as some bullets and make it into a Pong-esque shooter, just for fun.

Oh right, well, if someone wanted to, I could donate some renders I guess. :(

I find it amazing how much effort the Japanese put into shmup fighter design. Its not like you really see all of it in any detail - despite the fact its 3D.

So much work goes wasted - all those drawings and you never really use them in game, except as some bonus.

Indeed. I love this sketch here... I actually think it looks a lot nicer than the model which I went from. More chunky and compact.

Ika_con3.jpg

I still don't have a clue how a pilot is meant to fit in the thing...

LOL....yeah it looks a bit awkward. Actually i can't recall if its meant to be piloted (*edit* ah...it is...Shinra flies it).

You should team up with Despin and do some sci-fi movie demo thing.

That would show of your model.

Dear Santa,

When you get it done (or even before) is there any chance of a large scale render (1900x1200) of the craft for a super sexy wallpaper?

I've currently scaled one of your earlier ones up like this:

ikaruga1280copyca8.jpg

but it just doesn't cut it on a large monitor.

Love

Little Jimmy