rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

Ikaruga fighter WIP

Hi folks, me again!

This is something i've been working on for the last couple months. It's funny a thread about Ikaruga on XBA turns up just as the modelling was nearing completion. I've only just finished modelling the thing tonight (I stuck a few rudimentary textures on the wings to help things along with those nice swishy patterns). I bought the model you see, and thought i'd put it to good use.

ikaruga1.jpg

ikaruga2.jpg

I'm hoping to get around to adding some nice textures...maybe give it a slightly worn look with some damage here and there. I'm really not looking forward to unwrapping the thing... :(

If anyone's wondering about the horse. Well, I may return to it at a later date, but I got sick of it looking completely wrong. I found it impossible to model a long horse face in Zbrush, as it completely changes from isometric to perspective view (you can only model in isometric). Besides, inorganic objects are a lot easier...items of which the human eye cannot instantly pick up on errors, you see.

Cheers. :ph34r:

I've updated the renders. Previously I used the alpha channel to cut them out and put them on a grey background, but that method leaves some nasty aliasing. I just changed the background colour in Maya instead...

Another view -

ikaruga3.jpg

I think I missed it. See, not on the ball.

Did someone mention revolving? (Bit messy looking, oops!)

ikaruga_revolve.gif

Ok, i'll do some textures now. :ph34r:

:ph34r: ordered!

Be warned - it's an absolute cunt to put together and paint. Looks alright though.

I was thinking of doing a roll next, but getting that working was a big enough ball ache, and it's not much cop. I might give it a go if I fancy a break whilst it renders...polarity changes are a long way down the line though. :ph34r: Hmm, where the hell is the 'save as gif' option in Adobe Imageready? Why on earth did I have to resort to previewing it in my browser, then saving it off? Insane!

Edit: Cheers Idiwa. :ph34r:

I'm busy unwrapping this thing...i've only managed three parts so far :unsure: ...they were three difficult parts mind.

Anyway, here's a new render. I got some shadows in there this time. I didn't know Turtle (the renderer) was capable of putting hard shadows on top of GI, but it is! Hurrah!

Ikaruga4.jpg

Yeah, I considered simply going down the shader route. I could easily whip a metal/car paint shader on in various guises and it'd look pretty good. I just fancied having some insane UV work going on so I could impress potential employers, and using shaders just seems like cheating a little. I was thinking along the lines of this for damage - Click me. Having some nice scratched up bits could look great, and would significantly raise the general insane level of detail, which is what i'm aiming for. It wouldn't be too hard once it's all unwrapped...it's the unwrapping that's the massive ball-ache. I'm hoping to sort out some bump and spec maps too.

Yeah, I considered simply going down the shader route. I could easily whip a metal/car paint shader on in various guises and it'd look pretty good. I just fancied having some insane UV work going on so I could impress potential employers, and using shaders just seems like cheating a little. I was thinking along the lines of this for damage - Click me. Having some nice scratched up bits could look great, and would significantly raise the general insane level of detail, which is what i'm aiming for. It wouldn't be too hard once it's all unwrapped...it's the unwrapping that's the massive ball-ache. I'm hoping to sort out some bump and spec maps too.

That was in Digit last month, think it was an article on some kind of shareware zbrush app (I know fuck all about 3D). Anyway No.28, amazing as ever, a joy to look at :(

Yeah, i'm not sure who did it...a friend just passed it on when he saw what I was doing. Kudos to whoever made it though (i'm sure I could find out if I could be bothered to trawl CGtalk).

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I feel a bit guilty posting renders where i've barely changed a thing. :( Comments much appreciated though.