Silent Hunter IV

Looks very nice, yes, but this is still just a submarine sim, right?

Have you tried any of the other ones? They are incredible intense I assure you.

I can guarantee you they will get your adrenaline going B)

I'll cut and paste a comment from the SH3 thread

Prepare to spend hours doing nothing much, then minutes of pure terror.

With mods available on SubSim it adds a whole new dimension, the atmosphere in this game is second too none.

I've ambushed a convoy in the middle of the Atlantic in a raging storm, my sub being pitched from the water, water lashing my watch crew.

I decide to run deep, check my hydrophones, screws , loud , from 290o to 120o , I come to periscope depth, for all the good it would do me, visibility is down to -200m. I track them on my hydrophones, until it almost deafens me, I should be right ontop of them, still can't see a thing.

CLANG!

Tubes 1 & 3 destroyed , Sever flooding in Stern quarters.

There they are.

Sunk with all hands.

I have tales of great victory aswell, watch Das Boot if you already haven't it adds to the game a great deal.

:lol:

Hmmm no. Never heard of it to be honest. But on account of being a complete sub whore I will aquire it :lol:

Wellll... AD is quite old, probably Win 95-98 kind of old. Can't remember how well it reacts to Windows XP, haven't played it in years. It's also more of an action game than a simulation, focusing on fast (for underwater) first-person combat. Story is very good though. Futuristic subs too, not sure how well the game world holds up to a proper sub simulation, these things can turn on a dime for example. It threw in some interesting ideas about noise levels and torpedoes.

It might be on the Underdogs, I'd recommend it to anyone who fancied action games and/or subs.

I like my beardy strategy games, but Silent Hunter III was just too much for me - I was exhausted by the time the tutorial was over, and then failed to navigate anywhere near anything. It needed a few more assists for incompetent players like me, who promptly forget how to plot courses using little compasses and protractors. :lol:

I like my beardy strategy games, but Silent Hunter III was just too much for me - I was exhausted by the time the tutorial was over, and then failed to navigate anywhere near anything. It needed a few more assists for incompetent players like me, who promptly forget how to plot courses using little compasses and protractors. :)

same here!

I know the sea is big but christ I have never been so bored in my life!

I second the recommendation of Aquanox 2 - it's only a couple of years old and was very, very good fun. Reminded me of Wing Commander 3, but wetter.

It sank without trace at retail (ooof), although the engine was used as the basis for Aquamark which was a reasonably popular graphics card benchmarking program a year or two ago. Well worth tracking down if you can find a copy.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is this the patch that wont make it absolute shit? I bought Silent Hunter 3 a few weeks back instead of this as I wanted to try the series but I heard this was a buggy mess. Shame as I find the Pacific theatre much more interesting .

Is this the patch that wont make it absolute shit? I bought Silent Hunter 3 a few weeks back instead of this as I wanted to try the series but I heard this was a buggy mess. Shame as I find the Pacific theatre much more interesting .

Hmmmmmm. They have fixed all of the graphical glitches as far as i can tell, however after a few minutes the game stops working on my PC. Shame because it's really nice :)

• 1 month later...
This is still sitting on my desk.

It still has that shitty novastar copy protection thing that fucks up DVD-R drives and shit.

I don't know if I should install it.

Should this worry me?

Also, do any of you guys play multiplayer much? Is it anygood?

This is still sitting on my desk.

It still has that shitty novastar copy protection thing that fucks up DVD-R drives and shit.

I don't know if I should install it.

dont!!

That fucking Sniper nearly killed my machine with its novastar nonsense