rllmuk

Grime

I remember getting Dizzee Rascal's Boy In Da Corner in June 2003 not really knowing what it was. Infact I don't even know why I bought it. But it was AMAZING. It was totally new. Like a crazy young, fresh, and really british take on music, merging hip-hop, garage, dance and some other good shit. Grime. Then it got real big. Lethal Bizzle's Forward Riddim being probably the pinnacle of its popularity. Where is it now though? Every young kid growing up in a poor area thinks hes a grime artist now. This produces a flood of unintelligent and wack music everywhere. The Run the Roads CDs were good, but now it's nowhere. Shits dead. The talented people who made Grime have moved on, and the people still doing it are just fucking knobs trying to "blow up" in a genre where only one artist has really blown up and made any money (dizzee).

RIP.

When I heard Tony Wilson was trying to sign grime acts I knew it was failing. Never been a big fan of grime but when the original Grime comp came out on Rephlex it was something new and interesting, you had all the producers and MCs going on about the fact it was 'real' and 'anti-bling' and all that, but that sort of thing never lasts. Stick with the dubstep, that's really improving, I used to hate it but there's some real sophistication coming in there.

Same as uk hiphop - everyone is an mc, producer or dj.

No one is just a fan.

Hah, I make electronic music (some call it IDM) and everyone I know who listens to electronic music is a producer or a DJ. When you meet someone who just likes the music it's a rare treat.

Maybe it's too easy to just talk about something or make a simple beat, sometimes things can be too accessable.

JME, Skepta, Wiley and the whole Boy Better Know thing are still holding things down, not to mention Plastician's new album coming out in a few months and Wonder's album (Dizzee's producer) which dropped at the end of last year. Also, the new Roll Deep album is pretty good. Much better than that shite they came out with last year. Dizzee has a new record out later this year. The Guns and Roses mixtapes by Ruff Sqwad are sick.

I dunno, there seems to be a fair bit of pessimissim about the scene, n people saying the creativity's moving to bass-line and funky house, but I'm still finding a fair few things worth listening to.

Actually I have a little Grime blog just started. Also check out LowerEndSpasm for some good Grime podcasts and bits.

If you want tune recommendations then just ask n I'll yousendit a few clips or something...

I liked the Grime stuff on Rephlex, but it sounded a bit like a limited genre, I mean I listen to stuff in narrow genres like tech step, electro, hell black metal even! but they don't all sound the same to the same degree the grime stuff did. IMHO.

I'd love someone to point me to some stuff to prove me wrong.

I liked the Grime stuff on Rephlex, but it sounded a bit like a limited genre........

Surely that's just a timescale thing though, combined with the fact that a lot of early tracks were being made with uber-cheap software? I'm sure a lot of genres have sounded "limited" for the first few years of their inception.

Surely that's just a timescale thing though, combined with the fact that a lot of early tracks were being made with uber-cheap software? I'm sure a lot of genres have sounded "limited" for the first few years of their inception.

At the time you had producers getting cred points for using Music on the PS1. Thankfully production values have gone up since then, though to me at least they all sound the same, much narrower sound than, say, hip-hop.

You'd probably like the new Milanese LP if you've not heard it then, calling it 'grime' would probably be too narrow a description but there's definitely a hefty element of it.

It's rather like the way yer 'IDM' artists got into jungle/drum n bass in the late 90s, grime and dubstep are influencing the more experimental end more and more. Just look at the Planet Mu label.

Got the Milanese 1UP EP

Liked that a bit - I'll check his album out

For me Planet-Mu is the new Rephlex - lots of exciting releases & decent stuff, I'll get stuff on Planet-Mu even if I've not heard it (or heard of it) coz there is a chance it'll be aces.

Thats how Rephlex used to be for me (Warp too)

Same as uk hiphop - everyone is an mc, producer or dj.

No one is just a fan.

I am :wub:

...of UK Hip Hop that is...like the odd Grime track but then memories of seeing Roll Deep do 'Row Your Boat' (not certain that was the name but it was that old 'row row row your boat gently down the stream etc tune ;) ) live at the DMC's a couple of years ago taint my thoughts on the genre...amongst other things.

Dubstep's nice though...Pinch and other heads are blowing that up here in Bristol big time.

Proper grime for your listening pleasure... (as in not dubstep, not some crap pop-grime)

Roll Deep - Babylon Burner

Slix - Background

Wiley - Johnny Was a Bad Boy

JME - 96 Bars of JME

This is all MC driven Grime really. There's plenty of instrumental stuff out there for those of you who like that Rephlex stuff (those Grime collections kind of gave people the wrong impression of the genre I always think) then check out Wonder and Plastician. If you can find Rinse Sessions Volume 1 by Plastician then you're in for a treat.