IGNORED

Killzone 2

rubberducker

Aiming at static targets I'm doing ok with, but guys moving in the open I'm all over the place. I expect with the full version you'll just get used to it over time. I do think the demo is too short and using voice actors already used in COD4 is a bad move. So far KZ2 seems nothing special... But it's still entertaining and I am looking forward to it :)

Aiming at static targets I'm doing ok with, but guys moving in the open I'm all over the place. I expect with the full version you'll just get used to it over time. I do think the demo is too short and using voice actors already used in COD4 is a bad move. So far KZ2 seems nothing special... But it's still entertaining and I am looking forward to it :)

Do you really recognise the voice actors in cod4?

Have you played it a tad too much?

I only use demos these days to see the potential of a game. I can't be arsed settling in to a new, different control system every time I load a demo up so I don't get a good feel from them. It's a bit like when I had an Amiga, I had 100s of games copied but the only ones I put any amount of time and effort in to were the ones I bought an original copy of.

Reviews and forum regular's opinions are more important for me choosing a game these days. Demos are seemingly a bad move for games publishers these days, perhaps they should stop making them and just send out the odd video instead.

How many people here would've bought Dead Space on the strength of that demo? It did better by enthusiastic word of mouth than any amount of advertising, if you ask me.

Some demos that I played and enjoyed then bought the game because of that (or because I was going to get it regardless):

Super Stardust HD

The Last Guy

LBP Beta

Hot Shots Golf

Burnout Paradise

The last 3 didn't even need a demo to convince me to buy.

Some demos that I played that put me off buying a game I was thinking of buying full-price beforehand, or would've picked up at bargain price eventually:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Lemmings PSN

Dark Sector

DiRT

Stranglehold

DMC 4

Clive Barker's Jericho

Condemned 2

Pure

Mercenaries 2

Fear 2

Demos I didn't really enjoy (usually because of the 'learn the new controls' issue) but didn't put me off the game anyway:

Uncharted

Motorstorm 2

Killzone 2

Sega Rally REVO (controlled like shit in the demo due to my lack of experience, and I hated it)

Demos for arcade-style games = Good

Demos for FPSs = Don't waste your time at launch, wait a couple of months and if it's a good game the fans will sell it for you.

Demos for the big hitters = shhhh, just bring the game out - it'll sell anyway.

I expect there will be holes in my argument, but it is a bit too early for me to pick through it and that's the gist of me demo opinion.

The demo definitely shows enough promise to convince me to get the full game, and I haven't liked any FPS game all generation other than Halo 3. I've played through it a couple of times now. The first playthrough I thought it was just awful, it took me about 10 min utes to line up a single rocket shot on the bridge, but I pretty quickly got used to it.

Played the demo and the weekend and I thought it was decent enough. My biggest issue was that I'm rubbish at FPS games and got killed about a dozen times just playing through the demo! :)

I dunno what bit of the game the demo is, but man oh man I got slaughtered when I started the full game. First ten minutes I was getting shot to fuck.

It's a weird one this.

If you have a ps3 and like fps games you'll probably like this. These days I need something special to excite me on the FPS front, and K2 just doesn't do enough. There's not much to hate about it though (occasionaly boring sections, stupid sixaxis bits, you'd rather be the baddies because you and your mates are fannies). It's just a solid dependable polished FPS.

It's strange that its causing so many online arguments, because it's a totally controversy-free middle-of-the-road kinda thing. Like a Brian Dennehy film.

Do you really recognise the voice actors in cod4?

Have you played it a tad too much?

He's got a pretty distinctive voice and he's used a lot in COD4 multi player... In the demo he's one of the two Helgast who are talking to each other after you ride the elevator. It just jars a bit because it's exactly the same voice/ characterisation. Not a major gripe, just an observation.

No. The MGS4 I was paid to review, gave a fairly respectable 8/10, but knew was far from the best thing ever and certainly the worst game in the franchise.

No its not, thats MGS2.

That said, i havent finished it yet- so it could take a nose dive, but it doesnt seem like it will. Im only about halfway in though, and so far its one of my fave games of this generation (mainly because the metal gear series has been my favourite since the nes).

Its all opinion though :)

I enjoyed the killzone 2 demo, it wasnt as great as i think it was built up to be- but no game usually is. I liked how it forced me out of my usual run and gun approach on things like halo,COD etc and made me think about things abit more. Like halo 3's legendary mode does.

There's a stupid amount of input lag with the controls, nearly half a second between pressing something and it happening, which makes it feel very sluggish. I'm not sure if it's deliberate, although the claustrophobic, heavy feel probably is. It feels a lot like the first game, which I didn't like.

Other things I noticed from the demo: you're 'funneled' on occasion. After blowing up the bridge, you drop down off a small ledge. You cannot return back up again - it's too high.

There are invisible walls. Why can't you jump in the (lovely-looking) water?

The opening sequence breaks the first-person viewpoint for a second, for no reason I can ascertain. It's the only point in the demo where this happens (and the screen is still vignetted).

Wiggling the pad makes the loading screens shake!!!!

Zooming in doesn't seem to drastically improve the accuracy of your rifle bullets. They're still fairly wide of the reticule.

You can only carry one of each weapon type, so only one large and one small (hand) weapon, plus a knife and grenades. You can't take two rifles or a rocket launcher and a rifle. More realistic (?) but boo!!!

On a more positive note, the AI reacts to you and behaves differently depending on where you are. I'm not sure how advanced it is, but my two trips through the demo gave fairly different results.

Lurking is normally as far as I go as threads like this generally degenerate into nonsense but as a PC FPS fan and someone who didn't take to console FPS's that easily, I'd have to say that I've been impressed by the KZ2 demo.

The initial visual and audio onslaught helps to set the scene. You know you are in a big battle. Audio especially is some of the best I've heard on a console. Visually it is also in the higher tier for console games, maybe even one of the very best.

The weight to the character felt a lot more realistic to me and as a predominatly mouse FPS user, I had little problem with aiming (although I'd still have prefered a 360 pad).

Set pieces seem to be a bit of a thing for a lot of people but I think I could quite happily play through the game pretty much as is with the odd variety with enemies. I like a more gritty, realistic feel (as much as games like this can be realistic) and can do without 30ft tall bugs and leviathans.

When the AI is as good as it appeared to be in the demo then thats the most important thing for a good shooter. As an example. In the warehouse I went through the door to the small room at the far end and proceeded to pick off what was there. After a bit of an exchange with the last two, one was down and I had to duck behind the wall to regenerate. After a bit of a rest I poked my head out of the door again and all was quiet. Then suddenly I was getting hit from the bugger who had moved to the window. Quite impressive in comparison to a lot of the dumbness prevelant in the genre.

I'm not sure if some of the comment in this thread is an example of bitter gamers not wanting something on their console to be bettered by something on another console but from the angle of a PC FPS gamer, there are some bits in this demo that betters the best that console FPS's have to offer.

Whether it all holds up as a full game we'll have to see.

No its not, thats MGS2.

That said, i havent finished it yet- so it could take a nose dive, but it doesnt seem like it will. Im only about halfway in though, and so far its one of my fave games of this generation (mainly because the metal gear series has been my favourite since the nes).

Its all opinion though :)

I enjoyed the killzone 2 demo, it wasnt as great as i think it was built up to be- but no game usually is. I liked how it forced me out of my usual run and gun approach on things like halo,COD etc and made me think about things abit more. Like halo 3's legendary mode does.

Get prepared for the nose dive. Honestly, I've never taken any pleasure in saying anything bad about MGS4, as the series as a whole is one of my all time favourites, but it was a big disappointment for me. Still a good game, but easily the worse by the end.

Anyway, Killzone 2. I suspect I'll have another go later.

Sorry Keith but its very obvious that a fair few in the 360 brigade (not necessarily you) really, really want the PS3 to fail miserably for some reason, only joining this thread to either cast doubts (and thats prior to any demo or even most reviews) or, now that edge have cast a boulder of a 7 into the mill pond (the same disastrous score of Fallout 3 and Valkyria Chronicles) to add some salt to the perceived wound. You seem to want to cast doubt yourself based on the opening 10 minutes (tutorial) of the game too.

I didn't buy a PS3 for Killzone 2 (it was more a RE5 + FFXIII + bluray - RROD + quality hardware decision) and I feel that the PS3 even at £300 has been fantastic value for money. On top of that I have since absolutely loved Uncharted, MGS4 and Valkyria (and Tombraider Underworld and my first beginnings of Fallout). All those brilliant 7 and 8 scoring games eh? Who'd have thought.

I will be getting KZ2 and making my own decision about it once I've played it.

I don't doubt that's true, but I'm someone who has been talking this up for weeks.

All I'm saying now is: hmm, demo not so good.

MGS4 was a great game but the ending (for a grand finale) was a total cop-out. TOTAL.

I really should put my back into finishing it. I'm totally stuck at the start of Chapter 5, I just can't get past those Gekko for love nor money.

I really should put my back into finishing it. I'm totally stuck at the start of Chapter 5, I just can't get past those Gekko for love nor money.

Hardest part of that level. It took me numerous attempts to get past that section. I really loved MGS4, but agree they copped out on the ending.

Eh, isn't this a Killzone 2 thread!

MGS4 doesn't disappoint as an out and out action spectacle :) , it's just the excessive installing/the interruptive loading during the chase sequences and the fact that the story is a bit of a damp squib which let's it down. After MGS2 I was expecting some really interesting things to arise about the Philosophers and the Patriots but

the final reveal is ridiculously anti-climatic

. And the less said about the

explanation for Ocelot's possession the better.