rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Landshead

Okami - Headed to PS4, XB1 & PC!

Well, I agree that there are some things which aren't as polished, the camera being one. Okami convinces me even further that I'd just rather not have to move the camera at all thankyouverymuch. It requires constant adjustment, in fact the best way to run is to push forward on the analogue stick and rotate the camera to change direction. and I'm always zooming it out with L2, only to have it zoom in again if I run towards the camera, and it was a total pain in the first boss battle. So that I don't like.

But that all pales into insignificance next to the sheer wonder of the world, and the sense of reward and satisfaction the game gives you. So far, that element tops TP for me. The combat is different enough that I don't think I can have a preference. I really like it though.

Oh yeah, and camera centre is on the right stick button, which just feels wrong after being used to the Z trigger.

2 and a half hours in, and just brought life back to the large field area (name escapes me) via use of the 'bloom' stroke I just learned. The visuals and atmosphere in this game are just gorgeous, no complaints thus far.

Controls are OK, better than I expected for movement and exploration but I'm still finding the camera a bit fiddly at this stage. Part of my problem is that I like to have inverted settings in third-person and normal in first, which is a step of customization too far in this (and indeed most games)!

I found the brush a bit unwieldy at first but as time passes and the subtleties of the DS2 sticks become familiar, I'm finding it a those sweeping lines and circles a lot easier. It must be an echo of real calligraphy in a sense as smoothness and confidence produces the best end results.

The characters are cool, though a bit wordy at times. I liked the way Sakuya's lengthy speech about restoring the Guardian Saplings lulled Amaterasu to sleep, as I was almost feeling the same! Feeding the animals gives me a charming but odd cut-scene, is there something I should be doing here?

I finished Zelda TP a few days back so it is still fresh in my memory, and this game's early stages are easily on a par with it, if not edging it out slightly. There have already been a few similarities that make me wonder how separate the development of the two games really was, as well. Whether it can sustain the early momentum like TP did so well up until around the 25-30 hour mark remains to be seen...

There have already been a few similarities that make me wonder how separate the development of the two games really was, as well

I'm wondering the same thing...

Whatever my reservations about the game (I'm about 15 hours in, still don't feel much of a 'draw' (lol) to go back; I do largely enjoy it whilst I'm there, and yet...I dunno), the artwork and the atmosphere are lovely.

And as if to underline the dichotomy I feel, my Okami art book arrived today. Jesus, this has to be the best game art book ever - it's truly beautiful. It's really substantial, and packed full of superb - and I do mean superb, by any standards - illustrations. Not a single page isn't worth framing. I just wish I could read the damn thing, as it's a real labour of love and I'm sure the text would be enlightening, not some throwaway crap (unlike the annoying little twat Issun's westernised dialogue, which....grates so much it puts me off the game. There, I said it).

If you like the game you'll adore this book - so I'd recommend you all get it. And then translate it for me. (As long as you don't translate every other phrase as 'hot babe', 'phwoar', 'get your tits out' or 'kick his head in, furball'. I'm assuming they didn't write that in the original, though you never know with these wacky Japanese devs.)

Gorf, I demand you tell me where you got that fucking book now or so help me I will find you and make you pay!!!!*

*Actually, pretty pretty please tell me where you got it. I saw it on yesasia but they've cancelled orders on me before :lol:

I got it from Amazon Japan - someone posted a link to it just after it was brought up. It was only about 17 quid, astonishingly (though the DHL cost me as much again).

Apols for the hasty and rather crappy scans I've just knocked up in response (I didn't want to break the spine so these aren't full pics), but I just thought I should point out again why you need this:

okamibook2.jpg

okamibook4.jpg

okamibook1.jpg

okamibook3.jpg

okamibook5.jpg

(That last one's for Laine.)

EDIT: They all look washed out and bitty, as I didn't prep them at all and the cropping is way off, but believe me, it's a great art book.

Right, cheers for that boss. Is there a way to turn Amazon.jp in english or did you manage to blunder through it ok? Also, thanks for letting me know about customs :lol:

I got it from Amazon Japan - someone posted a link to it just after it was brought up. It was only about 17 quid, astonishingly (though the DHL cost me as much again).

Apols for the hasty and rather crappy scans I've just knocked up in response (I didn't want to break the spine so these aren't full pics), but I just thought I should point out again why you need this:

okamibook2.jpg

okamibook4.jpg

okamibook1.jpg

okamibook3.jpg

okamibook5.jpg

(That last one's for Laine.)

LINK ME DO NOW

Isn't it cheaper at Amazon? (Unless you pay for DHL like I did, as I'm impatient.)

EDIT: I blundered through the Japanese ok; although I did manage to get it in English after I'd bought it, just to track the package. It took 4 days through DHL.

Actually, it wan't even that. Dunno where the £17 came from - I must have been hallucinating.

It was 3200 yen (must have gone up - it's there on my bill) for the book. Which is about £13.75. Astonishing.

The DHL 4 day delivery as opposed to the 4 week job cost another 3700 yen, making 6900 (just under £30) in total. That was that.

Just ordered it from Amazon, the express shipping is more or less the same as the book. It works out at about 43 euro delivered. There won't be import tax on that.

Is Issun's dialogue in the Japanese version really that different to the English translation? I mean, he starts off running around in a woman's clothes and popping out of her cleavage, and later on there's a lingering zoomed-in shot of some DOA-style bouncy breasts. Given the visuals it doesn't seem to me like the translators have changed the tone of the game, but I haven't played it in Japanese and I can't read the language anyway, so I wouldn't know.

Is now a good time to tell you there's only 26 pages?

Anyway, apologies for the interruption, and back to discussion of the game. Wake me up when someone's translated that book.

EDIT: I really don't know, CB. It just jars with the overall style of the game for me, and if it's like that in the original then so much the worse for the devs. I know many won't agree, but it really puts me off - it wouldn't in many games, but it just absolutely doesn't suit this one - it's like someone's taken Botticelli's Birth of Venus and daubed a huge cock on it. Yeah, lolz. The tone just doesn't work for me here, I'm afraid. So maybe it's lost in the translation, I dunno.

Anyway, before I'm lynched: I do like the game; love some aspects of it. It just has some really irritating flaws for me, which is a pity.

Is Issun's dialogue in the Japanese version really that different to the English translation? I mean, he starts off running around in a woman's clothes and popping out of her cleavage, and later on there's a lingering zoomed-in shot of some DOA-style bouncy breasts. Given the visuals it doesn't seem to me like the translators have changed the tone of the game, but I haven't played it in Japanese and I can't read the language anyway, so I wouldn't know.

He's a little shit in the Jap version of the game too, it's part of his character, which is explained in part of the story.

I get that he's a little shit, but he's just an annoying, whiney, underdeveloped, puerile American-teen shit in this take. I just think the context and the feel must have been lost somewhere.

I still like the game though. Whatever, I realise I'm too distracted by this than I should be. Move along, nothing to see here.

I get that he's a little shit, but he's just an annoying, whiney, underdeveloped, puerile American-teen shit in this take. I just think the context and the feel must have been lost somewhere.

I still like the game though. Whatever, I realise I'm too distracted by this than I should be. Move along, nothing to see here.

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm used to translations being shit and Okami's is mostly good. Not being able to skip the text as fast as I would like is irritating though. And are the text boxes that pop up every time you pick up an item from a chest. There was a room with about 10 chests and it was a real chore to pick up all the items. I considered not bothering.

Apart from that I'm still really enjoying it. Amazing to have something like this that looks like this on PS2.

It does look amazing. And it does lots of other things really well. There's just some things that niggle and, like tiny scratches on a beautifully polished surface, they niggle all the more for what they spoil. (Dare I say, every time you load, you have t....oh, I daren't).

I'd better balance this out by saying I think most of the characters are fine (for example, that old woman's singing when she scrubs the clothes at the river in the starter village is....well, pretty moving, actually, and shows up some of the other stuff for what it lacks). And 'blossoming', both the action and the result, is massively and simply satisfying. And the detail of the sub-plots and side quests is impressive, too, and feels totally uncontrived and natural (so far). And much more is wonderful about this game.

So there I'll leave it. It's very good. I'm just let down by some of the stuff that denies it the status of a great (imo) which is what it feels like it should be (imo).

Will I miss anything if I play through this with the sound on the telly off and a musical backdrop of choice? The character gibbering is driving me crazy.

Otherwise the first couple of hours are a definate thumbs up <_<

some of the character voices, in fact, almost all of them - drive me nuts. I have no idea why they thought this would have been a good idea. I'd have rather they used Japanese than this. Ideally, not done it at all - voice overs FTL... and IGN's insistance that the next zelda has voice over is wrongfax.

some of the character voices, in fact, almost all of them - drive me nuts. I have no idea why they thought this would have been a good idea. I'd have rather they used Japanese than this. Ideally, not done it at all - voice overs FTL... and IGN's insistance that the next zelda has voice over is wrongfax.

i think it's worth it's own thread. seriosuly. be worth discussing which games have good voices, which don't, how it could be improved etc.

I'm such a twit.

I thought this game looked gorgeous already, but I was titting about with my Scart switcher, swapping a few RGB leads about, and I noticed that there was no difference to the Okami picture if I had RGB on or off, which means that - I'd been playing in composite!

Turns out I had my scart lead set to "DVD". Flicked it to "Game" and the scales fell from my eyes. It turns out that the gorgeous graphics I'd been amazed at had been a blurry mess. Now I'm even more amazed. :(

So today I have:

Cheered up a bear.

Kind of caught a thief a few times.

Obtained 3 sets of monster bounties.

Drawn on multiple kimonos to design.

Seen a take-off

Chatted with a ghost

Raced a couple of messengers

Utilised some pottery

Swum through lava

Been for an extensive swim in the sea treasure hunting

Located treasure in fields

And a few other things. And achieved nothing of note storywise, really. I'm at 30 hours now, and I think I'm about to embark on the next story segment - but then I thought I was going to do that when I started playing this morning.

I also caught myself half-singing one of the tunes in the shower.

Absolutely loving the game, just staggeringly beautiful, varied and fun to play.

Then I get to the first boss, and having defeated it, I just felt really disappointed. What you had to do seemed great - it just seemed to take me forever to make the right connections with the brush -I was making lines that worked the turn before and getting sod all. I just ended up feeling lucky when I got a connection, which kind of drained it of any feeling of satisfaction. Please say I'm missing something here.

I think it'd be a lot easier to make the connections if the celestial brush stayed at the same angle relative to the view. So it would be just like a brush in Photoshop; you'd know exactly where the tip was. It wouldn't look half as nice, mind. :(

Steven, when you're drawing the vine, hover the brush over the flower to begin, and you will see some green smoke come from it, this is the indication you can start a vine, then draw it to a hook, and you should get more smoke again there. The thing you need to be careful of is drawing more vine after going over the hook, as this will screw it up.