The Test Drive Cannonball Run II

Maybe getting rid of the stages and adopting just one finish line gets round the whole GPS thing. (as in you only have to do it once)

Before everyone meets, they sets up the finish line as their GPS target.

i.e. A spot on the south of the island.

Everyone then meets up at the starting line in the North.

3, 2, 1 - go! a race to the finish however you want to get there. No need to ever go back in the GPS and risk losing everyone again.

In hindsight,

1: G class was a bad choice as we had 200mph grand prix winning supercars mixed in with 120 mph corvettes. The idea was to allow a choice of cars thus letting anyone join and just drive around the island. I kinda expected people to understand that. Personally I was loving getting my E Type up to speed and dodging cars at 160. Slowing down on the coast to take in the view cruising along, Booker T on the radio.

2: It wasn't really a race to see who was the fastest anyway but since thats what people obviously want then thats what they'll get next time. It's perfectly understandable that those in fast cars shouldn't have to fall back for those in slower cars. It was basically what happens when you have people at different levels of the game. I'll rectify this next time and post a list of cars you must have to enter beforehand. This is why I made checkpoints. To allow a catch up and restart and to let people have a short break if necessary.

3: The idea was to do a lap of the island. I think we succeeded in that. I like the fact that we have a game that allows you to do this and felt it was the best way to start. We still have a whole island to play with.

4. None of you can drive A class cars on anything but a straight bit. Me included.

5. We had a problem with losing people as the game only allows 8 people to be seen together on a server at one time. I think we had 9 trying to get together at one point. I know the locking to people thing makes very little difference but we did stick together for most of it although a couple had problems.

That part of things actually worked a lot better than I expected them to. As the distance between cars gets greater people will end up drifting out of each others server space which is why you need to keep fairly closely together. I'm pretty sure that after about five miles you wont still be talking to each other.

If people were having problems getting it to work then there's not much can be done. The game doesn't work as solidly as it should but if you familiarise yourself with how it does work you shouldn't have too much trouble finding people when warping out to change cars or set waypoints.

6. We can have more than one group next time if need be.

7. Before the next one you're all going to have to get one of these

I have that car already :(

Shame about the 8 person limit. The cruise idea sounded nice. Something relaxing instead of a race. Maybe people could do impromptu drags along the way or whatever rather than just trying to get around first.

I'm well up for the next one, whenever it may be. Just a quick noob question again, i'm going to have a wild stab at that being an Ferrari Enzo?!? If not, what is it? I'll save my pennies and get it brought.

Ferrari 288 GTO. You'll need to save $300,000, plus some more for tuning if you desire.

Any ideas for the next date for this? Is it going to be like a monthly thing or...?

We can do one tonight if we get interest. I'm working on a route. Thinking of trying a four stage race covering at least 100 miles.

Cars I'm considering using (different car for each stage)

Ferrari 288 GTO

Caterham

Nissan Skyline

Aston Martin Vanquish

Leave your thoughts.....

Route

cannonball2map.jpg

Stage 1

British Independant (North) - Cadillac (West) - 23.6 miles

Car : Nissan Skyline Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 2

Cadillac (West) - Dodge (East) - 37 Miles

Car : Aston Martin Vanquish Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 3

Dodge (East) - Volkswasgen (South) - 15.7 Miles

Car : Caterham Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 4

Volkswagen (South) - British Independant (North) - 38.6 Miles

Car: Ferrari 288 GTO Stage 3 tuned

We can do one tonight if we get interest. I'm working on a route. Thinking of trying a four stage race covering at least 100 miles.

Cars I'm considering using (different car for each stage)

Ferrari 288 GTO

Caterham

Nissan Skyline

Aston Martin Vanquish

Leave your thoughts.....

Route

cannonball2map.jpg

Stage 1

British Independant (North) - Cadillac (West) - 23.6 miles

Car : Nissan Skyline Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 2

Cadillac (West) - Dodge (East) - 37 Miles

Car : Aston Martin Vanquish Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 3

Dodge (East) - Volkswasgen (South) - 15.7 Miles

Car : Caterham Stage 3 Tuned

Stage 4

Volkswagen (South) - British Independant (North) - 38.6 Miles

Car: Ferrari 288 GTO Stage 3 tuned

I'm well up for it, it's just the same case. I only own a Ferrari 288 GTO out of them lots and it's not even tuned. I think it'll be better if we just stick to a car that the majority have (tuned or untuned).

How about just using car groups then.

1st stage - Group E

2nd stage - Group D

3rd Stage Group C

4th stage Group B

I'm only specifying cars to reduce the discrepancy between top speeds. If this doesn't bother people I'm all for free choice.

That's not a bad idea, better get my garage sorted. Probably only have a tight selection, i'm definitely interested and i'm sure the last lot will be as well (hopefully).