F1: Championship Edition

BBBBBB

I played this at a friend's yesterday and its superb. Being a big F1 fan I was really impressed with the realism. The parade lap before the start of the race is excellent, as weaving the car left and right actually warms the tyres up just like real life. Had a race and the car in front started smoking and stalled on the grid - quality.

I would say most driving games seem to suffer when you switch to the in car/cockpit view but its perfect in this game. The overhead view of the front of the car seemed to work best as it gave a great sense of speed. Graphically it looked stunning. I have no idea how mags can give this an average rating as from my time playing it yesterday I would say its one of the best racers I've played.

A rllmuk world championship could be very tempting!

My copy has arrived (I'm noticing that you can pick it up cheap from the various auction sites after little Jonny wanted it with his new PS3 only to find himself unable to control the car, ramming in to barriers, getting retired from the race, and promptly throwing the game in the bin), which I got cheap off an auction site.

First hour? Not impressed. Graphics are ace, game is far too twitchy, can't control the car. Totally understand what poor little Jonny must have been going through. I am playing with driving aids turned off or down to low/minimum settings though, so perhaps it's my fault.

Second hour? I'm getting the hang of this and have selectively added one or two driving aids on lowish settings, just to balance realism and fun. Started a career mode. Didn't get any offers as I couldn't get a good time in the trials.

Third hour? Damn, this game is getting good. I've got the controls sussed, I'm getting good lap times and definitely getting "in the zone" with circuits. Career mode progressing, qualifying at Pole but still crashing during the races. Fortunately, my sponsor likes me as I get good qualification times.

Now? Tried online, which is a blast and very easy to use. Great community forming there and the multiplayer has been very well designed and developed by the look of it. Also, doing well in single player career mode.

So.. I can understand why initial impressions of this one can be negative. The controls really take some getting used to. However, stick with it and you'll be rewarded. You don't need to be a massive F1 Geek to enjoy it, just like your racing games.

I agreed about all the negative comments I'd read initially, as it really does handle a bit oddly at the start - but give it some time and you can get to grips with it. I've tried the sixaxis tilt steering, but didn't feel comfortable with it - especially over long runs.

Really enjoy just getting out on the track, especially in a classic F1 and roaring around. The visuals really help 'sell' the driving experience like this.

The setup evolution really helps to get that odd twitchiness out of the handling. At first I was having difficulty taking the same line round corners but after working through the evolution I got a decent handling car.

As far as wheels go, the game doesnt support FFB so it's hardly wrth bothering with one.

Has anyone tried any of the Logitech wheels? I dug out our Driving force (not the pro edition I dont think), plugged it in and the ps3 detected it without interuption and I was running around the XMB with the dpad just fine. Started the demo (I dont have the full game), and was moving about the menus with the dpad again. Started a race, and as soon as the grid position display comes up the wheel doesn't work. Is this a demo issue (like with the sixaxis support) or is the standard driving force incompatible? I'm using v1.70 firmware btw

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to save setups in this game? I'd like to save a setup to use in other modes without having to evolve the car every time I race.

It autosaves your changes as you exit the car set-up screen...then whenever you go back to that track in the same or different mode (with the same driver), it uses the new set-up.

Sorry but I can only say for sure this is true between Weekend, World Championship & Time Trial as I haven't tried Career mode (no way of telling for sure in Quick Race).

currently in career in a torro rosso, in medium difficulty at last.

what sort of results do you need to get a better drive?

soooooo difficult to get to the end of a race without stacking it (i have dammage on). the amount of times ive been in the top 3, then made a tiny error & wiped out the front suspension... but i still come back for more.

^this.

I think this is where the game really shines.

You must concentrate for every lap of race if you don't you will suffer,I've been in first with 2 laps to go and had a nibble of a rumble strip and stacked it into a wall.Game Over.

This is my most played PS3 game,listening to the traction control scream coming out of tight corner makes me smile,shaving a couple of tenths and nicking a place in qualifying makes me smile and completing a 20 lap race on worn tires and in the rain really feels like an acheivement.

The most underated launch game ever.

Absolutely. I'm driving for Torro Rosso on Hard. Got as far as turn 1 at Moncao, retired after a crash. Finished 15th at Silverstone after qualifying 12th, which the team seemed pleased with. No signsof successful job applications yet, unsurprisingly. My niggle with career mode is that you can't save during a race weekend, so there's a hefty time commintment for setup, practrice, qualifying and the race. Which can be all over at turn 1.

yeah I know,the save thing seems bad at first but if you think about it,it would be crap with that function.

You have a great qualifying and save it,so you start the race cold chances are that the crash is gonna come at some point,so you restart ad infinitum.

Sounds confused but I know what Im trying to say :(

The full race weekend really gives you the desire to complete the race properly,the time cost of setting up the car,doing the qualifying really makes the race day very important and as a result the feeling of doing well is amplified.

By the way Im doing this on medium,racing the Midlands F1 team and currently have 13 points :(

christ, monaco. where do you brake? brake early and you get rear ended, brake late & your in the back of the guy in front. almost impossible with dammage on. but not quite, & thats what gets you. how many times have i been doing well, then the phone rings. you pause. come back to it 20 mins later, unpause, not be prepared for the speed, hit a bump or brush a kerb and BANG! thats it. game over.

the swiming pool is a nightmare! sooooo easy to stack it, OR loose seconds of time. you have to hammer it and shave the walls or your laptime is nowhere. i can qualify well there, i was considering putting the race distance down to the minimum, so that i can get anying out of that race. in a 20 lap race, chances are you WILL stack it.

no save during a weekend in career is a bit pants. should have allowed 1 save during the whole weekend. what if real life interrupts and you have to go out... after going through race car evolution, and qually. thats an hour almost! wasted!

they HAVE to do an updated 07 game. its sooooooooooooooooooooo close to perfect, just a few little niggles to sort out here and there.

oh & while im on... the bus stop style chicane at san marino (at the top of the hill towrads the end of the lap, not the last corner) whats all that about?! touch the kerb *at all* on the exit and its an instant spin! but the ai can do it! NO FAIR! i loose almost a half a second tip toeing through there and have to claw it back the next lap only to loose it again. grr.

Yeah, I know the chicane you mean, it's after the Aqua Minarale corners. It's very slippery, and you really can't be turning the wheel if you're over the rumble strip. Cut the chicane short and you go bouncing over the kerb and spin as well. I have particular problems with the chicane after the tunnel at Monaco. I don't use anti lock brakes, and it's really hard not to lock up going down the hill and into the chicane. I lose a lot of time there, especially online.

I know what you mean about the saving during a weekend, although perhaps a single use restore point would have worked. I just think it's a little extreme at the moment in terms of time commitment.

I actually think that despite initial appearences, the handling is actually quite subtle. It's always hairy losing the back end on worn tyres going through a corner, but a great feeling when you manage to keep everything together.

A complaint about the online though - with pits on, some people don't make a stop. I don't know whether this is because they load up with fuel and don't need to stop (doubtful) or if the penalty for running out of fuel and then respawning is actually quicker than making a stop.

Oh, and the 'accelerator' penalty for cutting corners is a bit arbitrary and harsh. Penalties range from 3 to 18 seconds for seemingly similar incidents. And penalising players for cutting corners after spinning through them is also very harsh.

Agree with that. Tuning the car makes a lot of difference to its behaviour on each track. One setup does not fit all.

Also, I'm finding that my races are too short. I can't remember what %age setting I have it on, but I normally get 12-lap races or thereabouts. I really need 20-odd laps in order to make up for errors and get back up the field.

However, I totally agree with what others say above. If you don't concentrate and overcook it in to a corner, you'll either rear-end someone, overshoot, or spin and stack it.

I did once manage to just burst a tyre against the barrier and hobble to pits. Most of the time I trash the car with wheels and suspension parts going everywhere.

For the next installment i want them to expand on the crashes. The car should be able to roll, knock every corner off and deform the tub. Oh & add fire & wheel teathers.

I want to be able to re create brundle's roll at adelaide or ralph's flight at melbourne.

:wub:

And! while im on. the car should be able to develop faults as the race goes on, like 3rd gear goes, or the tc, etc etc. F1 cars dont usually finish a race with all the systems working perfectly.

For the next installment i want them to expand on the crashes. The car should be able to roll, knock every corner off and deform the tub. Oh & add fire & wheel teathers.

I want to be able to re create brundle's roll at adelaide or ralph's flight at melbourne.

:wub:

And! while im on. the car should be able to develop faults as the race goes on, like 3rd gear goes, or the tc, etc etc. F1 cars dont usually finish a race with all the systems working perfectly.

Crash damage has always been restricted by what FOM are happy to be shown, it is also a 3+ rated game so can't be too scary (depicting real life rather than NFS/Burnout fantasyesque settings).

You do get various mechanical failures in the game but they are rare (balance of play I guess, you stuffing it into a wall is frustrating but retiring through no apparent fault of your own wouldn't be much fun for most people). In real life, most real F1 cars do finish the race without faults.

Got this on saturday (along with my PS3 :rolleyes: )

I can't believe it got low scores, it's an incredible game.

I love driving round on the parade lap, warming the tyres up and then the tension when the lights come on for the start. Just amazing.

Really shows of the PS3. I'm surprised this hasn't been advertised, for F1 nuts it is a must

Finally won my first race in career mode on medium, in a Torro Rosso, with dammage on :lol: (french gp)

Was battling with schumacher before my first stop. We had been swapping places for about 5 laps, then my soft tires began to wear badly, so i thought id just keep close to him, knowing id started the race with more fuel. He pulled in for his stop, i did an extra lap. Having to put in less fuel during the stop i *JUST* made it out of the pits in the lead. Held on for the win. I was sweating by the end. Missing apexes, braking points. The tension was massive. Id make a slight mistake & he was right on me. Relief once id past the tricky final chicane.

Where this game REALLY scores is its authenticity. That race played out just like a real grand prix if you excuse the fact i was in a TR.