F1: Championship Edition

BBBBBB

This game is definitely a 8 or a 9 out of ten for me. I actually think I prefer it more than Motorstorm. It just requires more time investment, motorstorm is more immediate and can be played for short bursts.

Motorstorm is still sitting in the box. Played once. It doesn't stand a chance really. No doubt ill get to it at some point, but not for a while yet!

Motorstorm is still sitting in the box. Played once. It doesn't stand a chance really. No doubt ill get to it at some point, but not for a while yet!

oooh, its very good, you should spend some time with it soon.

how you fairing in F1? Are you doing the world championship? what level you playing and sort of finishes you getting etc?

oooh, its very good, you should spend some time with it soon.

how you fairing in F1? Are you doing the world championship? what level you playing and sort of finishes you getting etc?

I havent tried world championship at all yet. I started off in career at easy level, im in my second season now in a williams. The level of grip and speed in the williams over the midland is lovely. Problem is i can win from the back if i don't cock up, and if i bother to qualify at all, ill win at ease. But then i cant get on at all with it at medium dificulty which is crazy. I tried again last night. qualified for my testers seat with TR, then had to do 8 test sessions (!) to see if i was good enough for a race drive, and then i failed it! It wanted me to do another 8 or so sessions! Fuck that.

Some of the tests i could do easily, (such as the downforce tests at silverstone) some like the aero test in the wet at barca, i was 4 seconds a lap off the times they wanted. Thats crazy, they wanted a time in the wet which is all but the same as in the dry. Im good around barcelona as well.

I think im going to have to ditch career after all & move over to world championship, which is a pity as i liked the ongoing season idea & moving up through the teams. I really think they should patch it, to sort this out. Like i said before i can race with the pack on medium difficulty on a single GP. Ill report back tomorrow on how i fair with a medium world chapmionship. :)

Motostorm felt a bit like a series of powepoint slides being flicked through compared to F1. The sensation of speed is really bad in comparison (im not trying to compare it, but going from one game to another its hard not too) Thats one of the reasons ive left it for now- its not going to get a fair crack otherwise. Ill pick it up fresh when i get by from my trip to sepang. :o

Yeah, career seems to me as some sort of legendary setting if I can use that comparison. I decided that once I cane the world championship on medium I will be ready for that. as you say its a shame though as the thought of being a driver trying out for different teams and being signed to gradually better ones is very appealing.

Im doing world championship on medium, full damage on, scaled tyre wear, 10% race distance! Its a real battle. My top finish is 7th. I have qualified in pole before, but its just so difficult near the start of races.

As for Motorstorm, I agree at times it can be very slow. Just make sure you use the bonnet cam view as its much better than the external one.

Well, I downloaded the euro demo thinking it might be an improvement over the US one I tried last year and I thought it was pretty shit. I turned off all the aids but it just didn't feel like I was driving a car. There is no sensation of weight transfer, no need to apply opposite lock, no bumps -- it doesn't even seem possible to spin unless you have a wheel on the grass.

The graphics are not even that impressive when you consider how good motorstorm and GT HD look.

I'd love a good f1 game, sadly (from the demo at least) this ain't it.

Well, I downloaded the euro demo thinking it might be an improvement over the US one I tried last year and I thought it was pretty shit. I turned off all the aids but it just didn't feel like I was driving a car. There is no sensation of weight transfer, no need to apply opposite lock, no bumps -- it doesn't even seem possible to spin unless you have a wheel on the grass.

The graphics are not even that impressive when you consider how good motorstorm and GT HD look.

Either you havent turned off all the driving aids, or your simply not pushing hard enough. Its very easy to spin! Same goes for appliying opposite lock. At somewhere like monaco, im having to use opposite all the bloody time. There are plenty of bumps - in fact there are a few towards the end of the lap in barcelona that keep catching me out. San marino has a few as well. Circuits like Bahrain or China don't have many, but the these are new circuits & would have minimal bumps anyway.

Agreed that it's easy to spin when you're pushing it with the driving aids off - really feels like you're driving on a knife edge when you're on a hot lap. I also like how the cars feel different - drove a Super Aguri online last night, which was just horrible, tiptoeing (sp) around corners, particularly entering a corner under braking. Tyre degredation and fuel levels are also really well scaled for the first time in any console F1 game I've played.

Just to add what mexos has replied, please remember also this is a formula 1 car, its not supposed to be about sliding around the track, these things are built to corner like they are on rails. however push too hard on corners and as mentioned you can very well have the back end twitch out, or put you in a full spin.

Totally agreed. I actually hold my breath going through the last chicane in Canada because the difference between a great time and disaster is so close through there.

Same goes at magny-cours,, right at the end of the lap before the pit straight: too cautious and it can add a second to your lap time. but if you ride the curbs just little bit too much, your in the wall.

Go for it, it's a fantastic game. The handling does take a while to get used to - the brakes are really sensitive, and you *will* get a feeling of stop - start when you corner initially, and a fair degree of brake lock as well. Once you get over that hurdle, it really is excellent. It also requires some investment to learn the tracks, paying attention to marker boards before corners etc.

Agreed that it's easy to spin when you're pushing it with the driving aids off - really feels like you're driving on a knife edge when you're on a hot lap. I also like how the cars feel different - drove a Super Aguri online last night, which was just horrible, tiptoeing (sp) around corners, particularly entering a corner under braking. Tyre degredation and fuel levels are also really well scaled for the first time in any console F1 game I've played.

Mate, how have you managed to get that little speach bubble coming out of your regular gamertag name on my PS3 telling me your username on RLLMUK? Me wants!

Mate, how have you managed to get that little speach bubble coming out of your regular gamertag name on my PS3 telling me your username on RLLMUK? Me wants!

Press triangle on your account name and there is an option for 'comment' I think or something like that. It adds the bubble.

Well i set up a world championship last night, medium difficulty, 20% race distance. Decided to try and do all the sessions, including the sessions to set up the car. (which i was sceptical about)

From the start to the end of those sessions id improved my laptime by about 5 seconds. No doubt half of this was just getting more knowledge of the circuit, but come qualifying i stuck it on pole by a second. The car felt GREAT to drive, still on a knife edge when really pushing, but driveable - i could find a rhythm and reel off the laps at a really fast pace. (but still sweating that id catch a kerb or miss a braking point & fuck it up)

Lost the lead at the start to alonso & he pulled out a 5 second gap. Took till the pitstops to claw him in, had a perfect pitstop and came out in the lead. :) Just like a real race. Its wonderfull trying to catch someone - when you start pushing they start to make little mistakes & the commentary picks up on the fight (just like it does with others down the field)

Second race cocked it at the start, and spent 3/4 of the race coming up though the field, then pushed a bit too much and put it in the wall. You *really* have to work at it to come through the field, but it is possible and you get a real sense of achievement doing it.

Bottom line, my love affair with this game has reached new heights. :(

Well I've been playing online quite a lot, and there are some very good players out there. Went into a 10 lap race at Montreal, pit stops and collisions were on. As it was a ranked game, I started near the back in my BMW. I avoided the inevitable first corner incident, and came out of the melee in third. Pit stop was clean enough, avoiding the inevitable nutter / crap drivers. Lap 8, and the two leaders are about 2 seconds in front of me, racing really closely. The leader then pushed things a little too hard through a chicane and spun, causing the second place man to spin out as well. So, 1.5 laps to hold onto the lead and my first win. Last lap, and nerves started getting the better of me, the car was increasingly twitchy under braking as the tyres were getting older, causing a fair degree of understeer. Do I continue to push or ease off a litte? Around the hairpin a little cautiously, with the final chicane approaching. What could go wrong? Well, this: too cautious around the last chicane coupled with the second place man taking a wild stab for glory on the outside of the chicane. Result: wiped out, finished 4th. I was not a happy man. Do I need to say I rather like this game?

Well I've been playing online quite a lot, and there are some very good players out there. Went into a 10 lap race at Montreal, pit stops and collisions were on. As it was a ranked game, I started near the back in my BMW. I avoided the inevitable first corner incident, and came out of the melee in third. Pit stop was clean enough, avoiding the inevitable nutter / crap drivers. Lap 8, and the two leaders are about 2 seconds in front of me, racing really closely. The leader then pushed things a little too hard through a chicane and spun, causing the second place man to spin out as well. So, 1.5 laps to hold onto the lead and my first win. Last lap, and nerves started getting the better of me, the car was increasingly twitchy under braking as the tyres were getting older, causing a fair degree of understeer. Do I continue to push or ease off a litte? Around the hairpin a little cautiously, with the final chicane approaching. What could go wrong? Well, this: too cautious around the last chicane coupled with the second place man taking a wild stab for glory on the outside of the chicane. Result: wiped out, finished 4th. I was not a happy man. Do I need to say I rather like this game?

what's the lag like? i haven't got round to playing online yet. Is it easy to find a race & get going?

It sounds like a return to form for the series, which would push me towards picking up a PS3 over a 360 in the future. I always enjoyed these games with F1 '97 stealing many an hour.

Jashin that sounds like a graet race you had there. It's put me in the mood for some F1 action, which ain't good for a PS3-less gamer just now.

what's the lag like? i haven't got round to playing online yet. Is it easy to find a race & get going?

Lag can be an issue on some games but it's not been a major problem for me. Online races are very easy to find and join, and extremely fast to start, compared to Motorstorm anyway.

I had 3 online races last night and it was a right laugh, cars going off, smashing into barriers etc, and me sticking to the racing line. Make sure collisions are off though or you'll get some idiot just plowing into everyone to take them out. Make sure that penalties are active too so those players who try to gain a place by cutting corners get penalised.

One quick question about online though, does it support voice chat? I never heard anyone in the games I had last night.

Single player is absolutely fantastic too. I'm still playing on easy, but with all the drivers aids off, a damage on, and it's an absolute joy to play.

Loving every aspect of this game and makes a mockery of some of the poor reviews.

Online is cool. There is some lag, so it ain't perfect. However, the developers have tried to do things right, unlike other online racers I've played. For example, even with collisions on, cars can't crash into each other if: someone is being a dick by driving the wrong way, someone has just crashed and is restarting, someone is just sitting on the track, during the first few seconds of a start. In all these cases, the car become translucsent to show other players that there won't be any collision with that car. The helps avoid the terrible state that PGR3 got into to *some* degree, although you're still obviously having to trust other players, and also accpet that mistakes do happen. Oh, penalties are also applied for corner cutters. In line with the other penalties in the game, it severely limits engine power from between 3 and 14 seconds, depending on the severity of the penalty.

Well i set up a world championship last night, medium difficulty, 20% race distance. Decided to try and do all the sessions, including the sessions to set up the car. (which i was sceptical about)

From the start to the end of those sessions id improved my laptime by about 5 seconds. No doubt half of this was just getting more knowledge of the circuit, but come qualifying i stuck it on pole by a second. The car felt GREAT to drive, still on a knife edge when really pushing, but driveable - i could find a rhythm and reel off the laps at a really fast pace. (but still sweating that id catch a kerb or miss a braking point & fuck it up)

Lost the lead at the start to alonso & he pulled out a 5 second gap. Took till the pitstops to claw him in, had a perfect pitstop and came out in the lead. :) Just like a real race. Its wonderfull trying to catch someone - when you start pushing they start to make little mistakes & the commentary picks up on the fight (just like it does with others down the field)

Second race cocked it at the start, and spent 3/4 of the race coming up though the field, then pushed a bit too much and put it in the wall. You *really* have to work at it to come through the field, but it is possible and you get a real sense of achievement doing it.

Bottom line, my love affair with this game has reached new heights. :wub:

I was playing the demo again last night, all driving aids off and heavy rain. That was really good fun, even though i ended up 17th. It's just so scary, going too fast :unsure:

Picked this up this afternoon.. and so far its 10 out of 10 for realism.

Just spent the past 2 hours going through a race weekend, setup my car, completed practice, went through the 3 qualifying stages andqualified in pole :D

Onto the race, off to a great start and then that fucker Schumacher ran into me and knocked my front right wheel off on the second corner!! Thanks christ he's retired.. Ive always hated him :D

Good Lord, I'm rubbish at this.

I spend an hour or so before a race doing tuning and qualifying... and then die on the first lap, often on the first corner.

I've literally not completed a lap of an actual race yet.

I really enjoy the driving, though, so I don't care too much. Certainly not enough to turn damage off again.

Well this certainly turned out to be an interesting thread. I think I'll be picking this up today (haven't really got 'into' an F1 game since Revs).

How on earth could the reviews be so diametrically opposed to the opinions being expressed here though? Most odd.