F1: Championship Edition

BBBBBB

Just been round a friends house and seen this game in action. I was impressed with the visuals and how smooth it run, and this was not even on HD.

Quick comments on the console and pad - I was amazed at how big the console is! Not too sure about that pad though. Definitely not as comfortable as the 360 one.

Can you get a good wheel for this? This is one game that might persuade me to part with the cash for a ps3

I'd written it off after the EDGE review but it sounds like they got it wrong. What other F1 game does it play most like? Just trying to get an idea if I'll like it. GP3 and 4 left me pretty cold, f'rinstance.

The handling is all wrong as is usual with these Sony efforts. The cars don't feel like they have any weight and are far too twitchy. It's almost like there is no friction between the tyres and the track. Just plain wrong and it means you can't approach the corners with any kind of finesse.

The handling is all wrong as is usual with these Sony efforts. The cars don't feel like they have any weight and are far too twitchy. It's almost like there is no friction between the tyres and the track. Just plain wrong and it means you can't approach the corners with any kind of finesse.

?

totally not my experience, anyway.

Gave up on career, I think thats for reock hard uber amazing people. so I just played the world championship. Great fun.

you do the full shebang. You start with testing, if you do clean laps it gives your team good data to base stuff like downforce and tyre wear on. I seen it as a little bonus to gain advantage in your car setup and familiarise yourself with the track.

Next up qulaifying. Great fun, you are kept up to date by the commentators as to what is going on with your rivals and its possible to end up hitting traffic on your qualify run if you spin out or something. Really enjoyed qualifying.

The races themselves have a nice big race feel about them with all th usual TV style coverage around it.

Im finding the handling really good. the cars to me feel very grippy, and as long as you stick to the racing line you should be accelerating out of corners full whack like a pro.

Its kept me off of Motorstorm tonight, top stuff. The edge review is plain wrong. Its gonna take ages to finish a season though!

What do you think compared to F1 Challenge 99-02? 97-00? Whatever it is :) My current favourite F1 game.

What do you think compared to F1 Challenge 99-02? 97-00? Whatever it is :) My current favourite F1 game.

I honestly wouldnt worry about the handling, it seems spot on to me.

Im gonna try a much longer grand prix tomorrow. Only raced a 6 lap one just now. They scale everything to suit it though, so it means you still get tyre wear and have to pit stop. But I think it will really come into its own on longer races.

the comms from your pits are good and relevant also.

Also like the little beatmania type mini game for the pitstops which effects how long the full thing takes. anyway know if that gets more difficult depending on whether you have a dmaged nose cone or something when you pit?

It's pretty good, its crying out for a wheel thats for sure. I plugged in my pc sidewinder wheel, with not a lot of luck. Accelerate and brake were the wrong way round and the steering was far too unresponsive (taking full lock to get round some shallow corners!). However, what conrol i did have showed me how good it could be with a proper wheel. The analogue sticks are just not up to the task.

I want to be able to sweep through the corners smoothly, not jerk though them in 4 or 5 bites. After playing GT HD, where you can sweep though the corners beautifully using the analogue sticks, with no twitchyness or jerkyness i have to say that the control in F1 CE using the pad feels poorly implimented.

I had a look around town, but nowhere seemed to be selling the wheels mentioned in the menu. In fact looking round the web im not having any luck. If anyone finds a linky to one for sale, pls post it! :)

Even with the pad, its easy to get into that 'trance' like groove with it & roll off the laps. Which is a good sign, after only an hours play.

Can't really compare it to F1 99-02 till i have a wheel. Will report back later!

Got to say Im quite a fierce critic of the PS3 pad. But Im not finding it too bad for F1. Im finding that its more or less full lock on the corners and using the accelerator/brake to determine your shape going in and coming out of the corners, if that makes sense.

Small movements on gradual turns seems to work pretty well.

The wheel mentioned in the menu is some logitech thing is it not? I assumed it was already out there. Is it a PC developed one?

ah... give it a try & tell us what you think :)

I downloaded the demo (pretty hefty in size - around 700MB) and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Its beauty is hard to ignore - all the in game views offer a fantastic sensation of speed and sensation of driving at speed around the track. The track side camera views (e.g. when you've crashed or finished a race) don't look as good however - especially when compared to GT:HD.

It reminds me of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix that I played so much of when I was a young un.

Might buy this.

Got to say Im quite a fierce critic of the PS3 pad. But Im not finding it too bad for F1. Im finding that its more or less full lock on the corners and using the accelerator/brake to determine your shape going in and coming out of the corners, if that makes sense.

Small movements on gradual turns seems to work pretty well.

The wheel mentioned in the menu is some logitech thing is it not? I assumed it was already out there. Is it a PC developed one?

I gather its probably the logitech wheel(s). They are ps2 wheels, but are usb so probably just a rebadged pc wheel. I actually need to dig ours out....

OH MY GOD...

since my last post i loaded it back up and decided to try the sixaxis control. Didn't expect anything from it at all, and to begin with, my prediction was holding true.

BUT THEN IT CLICKS!

Its just... awesome! I love it. The last hour or so has been the most fun i've had playing any game all year. Glorious! ;) Smooth, & responsive, i can put the car just where i want. All of a sudden the car feels like it has weight, something that was lacking when using the analogue. Im hitting the apexes lap after lap, something i rarely do even with a wheel. The triggers work beautifully with the tilt control, their positioning no longer a hinderance because im not using the bloody analogue.

I've never bothered with qualifying before, but with the spot on TV style presentation, (and bloody James Allen, but ill forgive them because Brundle is also on board) and the 3 session qualifying its just great fun trying to make the cut. Can i get out and get my out lap done fast enough, on cold tyres to get across the line before the timer runs out. Big, Big grin on my face. Purchase justified :P I picked up motorstorm this morning. Can't see it getting a look in for a while.

Interesting! It hasn't occurred to me to even try the six axis control for anything as I assumed it would be shite. I shall report back with my findings!

OOH! Noels not wrong! It works perfectly! Im amazed at how responsive that was, maybe this six axis thing can work after all!

you are right on the triggers as well. I was using face buttons before for accelerate and brake, but when all you have to do is use the trigger buttons then it all becomes infinitely more comfortable. the shape of the pad is good for the old immersion as well, it feels like the shape and size (with a slight bit of imagination) of a F1 steering wheel!

I love the pit stops too. What sort of times are people getting? My fastest so far is a 11second stop.

I think we really can bin that edge review. anyone with a passing interest in F1 and "realistic" racing games should pick this one up. Also dont let the F1 geekyness put you off as most of the set up of your car and forumulating pit stop strategies etc. can be left to your team, but the option is there to get your hands dirty on almost every element if you choose.

Well personally I was comparing it to Geoff Crammonds games (although maybe that's unfair seeing as this is a console game) but for me, in Crammonds games, you can pinpoint your apex and nail them, it just never feels like that in this game to me. It feels like the slightest touch and you then start over correcting too much. And overtaking cars feels much the same, the tiniest movement sending you off course rather than the subtle change of direction that you want. I'm sure with a wheel it may well be transformed.

But as I said the cars feel too light on the steering for my liking. And of course, reading above maybe the sixaxis helps. Although I find that way of controlling games hard to deal with - hence my lack of love for Excite Truck, where many here think it's the dogs bollocks. Each to their own though of course, and no one should dismiss a game without trying it themselves.

As much as I am liking the six axis control its a real marathon to use it on longer difficult races, my back was killing me half way through a 18 lap race as I need to lean forward slightly and rest my elbows on my knees.

I think I have found the optimum settings for my races now. I aint winning them yet, but I love the hard race the AI is giving me. On the eay setting I was crashing into the back of them too often as they would brake to early. Medium they seem to drive as you would expect. I love having damage and part failure on too. I get a lovely feeling when Im tailing someone and I see smoke start to come out the back of the car, only for their pace to drop and over take, then hear the commentator tell you they had to drop out the race ;)

As has been said before, the cars are really grippy. The skill is in knowing *just* how far you can push entry speed into a corner. There's a really tricky corner in Bharain (3rd from last) which is uphill and a bit unsighted in TT mode due to the sunlight. It's a late entry to hit the apex, and if you nail it, you can just feel the car beginning to slide, which is really cool. However, I do agree that when I first started playing, the handling seemed odd. Basically, you can throm the car into a corner and brake really hard, and the traction control means that you don't go spinning off. Needless to say, learning the corners improves lap times dramatically.