F1: Championship Edition

BBBBBB

Yeah, it was ace on the PC too, looked really decent with a 3dfx.

If it really looks that good then I'm sold. I found the demo a little underwhelming graphically, shame about the duff pad.

Are there language options in the Jap version?

Pretty much all the options and menus are in English.

The race commentary is in Japanese although your team comms are in English.

I know it takes a lot of effort to unlock the Formula 1 car in Gran Turismo 4, but it is really worth it.

I'm not so interested in the official Formula 1 game because the GT4 implementation is so good.

I often wonder if people have played GT4 with the Formula 1 car when they are criticising the game, because the handling of the F1 car is very different to any other car in the game, the levels of grip combined with the acceleration make it a great car to drive.

It is a shame there aren't more F1 tracks in GT4.

Yeah, this looks very nice indeed. Hope it plays as good as it looks. I particularly like the rain effect.

...bit like the rain effect in NFS: Most Wanted, isn't it? :P

I know it takes a lot of effort to unlock the Formula 1 car in Gran Turismo 4, but it is really worth it.

I'm not so interested in the official Formula 1 game because the GT4 implementation is so good.

I often wonder if people have played GT4 with the Formula 1 car when they are criticising the game, because the handling of the F1 car is very different to any other car in the game, the levels of grip combined with the acceleration make it a great car to drive.

It is a shame there aren't more F1 tracks in GT4.

yeah i used to play time trial with the f1 cars round the monaco track with a mate from autosport. we were so damn good at it. in the end if you shaved a tenth of you'd be well pleased. kept me happy for months.

• 4 weeks later...
The sense of speed is probably the best I have ever seen.

I've seen this sentiment echoed a lot... a lot of people have been blown away by this.

Apparently the PSN demo was an old build, significantly worse than the final retail boxed game. If that's the case, they really should pull that early demo off the download service (much like the early E3 demo of Test Drive Unlimited was pulled from XBL in a similar situation).

Yeah, the US retail game looks a lot better than the PSN demo, including frame rate. I can't get my head around the Edge review at all, it's completely inaccurate. I can only assume that the reviewer didn't switch any of the driving aids off given just how wrong the text of the review is, and if that's the case, it's very dissapointing and sloppy.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that my PS3 is going to be arriving very soon... does anyone know if the Japanese version of this is full english? I've heard that the career mode is only in Japanese, which would be shit for me?

Hope you guys know... :)

Avoid the Japanese version, Career mode and some setting up screens are in Japanese. US version is out already and UK is out Friday, go for one of those.

If anyone's interested, I found this to be very similar to F106 on PS2, albeit really good looking. It is insanely hardcore but it's got something about it that means you'll blink and you'll have completed 40 laps. It's as if you slip into some kind of semi-conscious state where you're doing everything on auto-pilot. It’s also got a far greater sense of speed than the PS2 game. From the default camera view things get really hairy.

Great game !!!! I have played this more than my other PS3 games RFOM, VT5 & RR7 (all US)

If you are into Motorsport and especially F1, you WILL love this game. You can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. I play on medium and have to wrok hard to get pole position in qualifying and then it is always a test come race day.

As mentioned above, you can get in the zone and the laps just drift away as you try and improve on each corner, improving your lap times.

looks great aswell.

I will be getting Motorstorm tomorrow, so it may take a back seat for a bit. Its well worth considering for you UK PS3 launch buyers...

I was put off from this becuase of numerous lacklustre reviews and that Edge score. Yet I've heard nothing but good things from people who have bought it. This isn't just people attempting to rationalise their purchase is it? I don't know what to do now...

I didn't buy it and I like it, so I think those positive opinions will generally be genuine. It is an insanely hard game though and takes an extreme amount of dedication to get to anything approaching a good level. You really have to focus on a certain track and hammer it for days before you feel at all comfortable. If that sounds good, it's a definite buy.

I didn't buy it and I like it, so I think those positive opinions will generally be genuine. It is an insanely hard game though and takes an extreme amount of dedication to get to anything approaching a good level. You really have to focus on a certain track and hammer it for days before you feel at all comfortable. If that sounds good, it's a definite buy.

See, that sounds good to me, but I know I'd never, ever get that sort of time to play.

yeah, the track layouts are good. Silverstone is the only one I have driven around in real life and that circuit has changed a bit since then, but yeah they seem very accurate.

I am not blowing hot air, up this games ass. I bought it, and think it is my best purchase so far on PS3 (I also have a 360 and love it, so I am not biased, nothing really like this on 360 at the mo, until Forza2 perhaps). It is tricky, but not really that hard, if you play on medium level setting and turn off a couple of the driving aids (brake and steering assist), & keep the driving line on which helps massivly, if unfamiliar with a track (same as Forza). When set up like that it handles as you would expect a F1 car to (as well as I can imagine anyway).

You can then tinker and evolve the car in practice before trying to qualify. Some tracks you may have to do this, others you wont. Depends how well you can qualify really, you do need to get up near the front somewhere, if you want to win on this level.

Online is a bit poor at the mo as it has been US guys ramming you off the track all the time, I am hoping that I will be able to play with UK people but not yet sure of this?