IGNORED

HMV refuses PS3 pre-orders unless consumers agree to buy PSP too

daxus

Surely if Sony are going to have AMPLE SUPPLY of PS3s at launch (and I cant think of any reason why they couldnt if they wanted to), this whole thing is going to just explode in HMV's greedy faces?

Or perhaps HMV know we'll be getting a stupidly low number of PS3s for a SELL OUT LAUNCH whilst units sit unsold in the US and Japan.

Yeah, but they're offering goods for sale, which you don't have to buy. If HMV was the only place you could get PS3's from it would be different (and even then I'm not sure you could), but it's a free market. HMV simply buy the stock from Sony and then sell it to the masses. Why are they under any obligation to sell them as they buy them?

Under what exact legislation could you bring forward a case to force HMV to sell their stock to you, on YOUR terms? It's ridiculous.

Please note: I agree it sucks, but meh, no-one is going to buy a PS3 anyway

EDIT: At Wkitten

If you are wanting to preorder a ps3 from HMV they are by saying you can't preorder unless you agree to get a psp as well.

In otherwords, go in and say no you aren't getting a psp but you are pre-ordering a ps3.

You don't have to buy a PSP. From the article:

Anyone who takes advantage of this offer will get priority over other HMV.co.uk customers for the PlayStation 3.

Even if that wasn't the case I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on anyway.

Yeah, but they're offering goods for sale, which you don't have to buy. If HMV was the only place you could get PS3's from it would be different, but it's a free market.

Under what exact legislation could you bring forward a case to force HMV to sell their stock to you, on YOUR terms? It's ridiculous.

EDIT: At Wkitten

Sale of Goods act I'm sure. It's not me forcing them to sell me the ps3 at a reduced price or something is it? It's not wanting something that are trying to make you agree to buy if you place a preorder.

and Craig, it says right in the article as well

"PlayStation 3 solus console is currently unavailable to order from HMV.co.uk by itself, and we kindly ask customers not to contact us with regards to this."

Damn, I'd just added a bit more to what I saying (LOL!). I'll repeat it here

HMV simply buy the stock from Sony and then sell it to the masses. Why are they under any obligation to not sell them as they buy them?

I doubt you'd find anything in the sale of goods act which will disallow retail companies from doing the above. The SoGa is about protecting consumers, not balancing market forces.

EDIT: It's like arguing that someone on ebay who has a Snes and 14 games for sale is legally bound to sell me the snes only - Madness. The SoGa still applies for private sales, so where is the clause?