Ghostbusters (2016)

CactuarBill

• 2 weeks later...

That's reaching a bit. You'll surely have noticed that it's a very common reaction to reboots or remakes, especially ones which have had so much trouble in getting as far as being made as this has had. You're reading way too much into it by suggesting it's because of women. Sure, there will be those who will have that attitude, as always, but that isn't the reason in the main, as it also happens with other movies not involving a primarily female cast.

I'm getting unreasonably excited about this now. I was disappointed when I heard that the old cast & creators had nothing to do with it, but after seeing the boiler suits and the proton pack I'm all fired up for more! When they release the first pic of the cast all tooled up I'll probably start helplessly drawing fan-art.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sexist, but I have this irrational dislike for an as-yet unreleased film because the protagonists are women.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sexist, but I have this irrational dislike for an as yet unreleased film because the director and main stars haven't done anything except crass, middle of the road comedy that isn't fit to kick the boots of Ackroyd's heyday or Murray's deadpan delivery.

I'm not fond of this at all but Ghostbusters is my favourite film of all time. I do like the look of the proton pack. Looks crudely put together like the original. I was fearing it would look clean and brand new.

I'm not fond of this at all but Ghostbusters is my favourite film of all time. I do like the look of the proton pack. Looks crudely put together like the original. I was fearing it would look clean and brand new.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no sexist, but I have this irrational dislike for an as-yet unreleased film because the protagonists are women.

My problem with it is that it's seemingly a remake that does nothing but gender swap the main characters. So...what's the point? Why not just make a sequel?

It's my problem with remakes in general, look at Star Trek - you had two films that were pretty much just constant nods and winks to the originals, going as far as directly referencing Wrath of Khan to give back story and motivation to the actual plot.

I know this doesn't erase the original (unless you're George Lucas) but then why are we bothering? It's sad that they can't seem to make a Ghostbusters film starring women that doesn't trade on nostalgia. I'd be up for a reboot or direct sequel because it'd be nice to see something new.

As it is, it's just going to get endlessly compared to Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson. Just like all other remakes, unless you're adding something significant I don't really get what it's supposed to be other than a cash grab.

How is it solely a gender swap? It has an entirely new script and a new cast and director.

It'a time GB fans let go of the idea of an Aykroyd sequel. It didn't happen. For frustrating but perfectly comprehensible reasons.

I'm not suggesting it has to be an Aykroyd sequel. Just any sequel. All I've heard is how it's a reboot, if the script is genuinely different then I apologise but it's not what has been publicised.

For the record I don't care about the gender swap, it's just after Star Trek 2 I don't care for anything that tries to ape old classics. I still haven't seen Robocop for example and I never intended to because I think its existence is pointless.

This is a long reply you've made with lots of assumptions so bare with me.

You seem to be suggesting that they should make a film in the style of an 80s mainstream comedy. There are hundreds of 80s mainstream comedies if you want them. It is 2015, and it makes much more sense to make a film in the style of a 2015 mainstream comedy. This appears to be what they are doing. In the 80s, that type of comedy was completely middle-of-the road in the same way that Bridesmaids is now.

It's not what I'm suggesting at all, although I would argue it's a hell of a leap to say that Ghostbusters was an 80's mainstream comedy. It was anything but, what with the comedy being joined with an action fantasy movie in a way and on a budget that was fundamentally unparalleled in Hollywood at the time. Sure, after its release, there was a near deluge of movies of the type that occupied a similar kind of space, but you may as well say Star Wars was made in the style of 70's mainstream sci-fi.

That I expect Feige and Co to absolutely create a sequel that is entirely mainstream, offering nothing at all new or creative beyond the actors fulfilling fairly similar roles to those they already inhabit repeatedly, is entirely the basis of my dissatisfaction that the movie is being made. I expect it to be cheap, lazy comedy that's entirely middle of the road and, bluntly, the dismissal of that criticism as being based in sexism (not necessarily by you) is lazy and insulting. The main cast being made up of women does not mean they and the creative "force" around them cannot be criticised.

The original Ghostbusters had two SNL alumni along with some of their comedy-world friends. All had proven to be successful at the box office by this point in the field of comedy. Oh look, that describes the new one as well.

I'd simply argue those comedians were more accomplished than those appearing in this sequel/remake/whatever. I understand the machinations and desire Hollywood has for making more money, I really do. I just have no faith this movie will reward me, as a potential member of the audience, or exceed my expectation - in a way that, say, the Jump Street movies have.

I'm not saying you're sexist. I'm just pointing out (not for the first time in this thread) that they're making a modern, mainstream American comedy, like they did in the 80s, and if you hate current mainstream American comedy then firstly you will hate this film, and secondly it's not relevant to point that out, any more than it would be worth going into a thread about Burton's Sweeney Todd and hating on it because you don't like musicals.

First, see above. Ghostbusters wasn't an 80's mainstream comedy. Second, I don't hate American mainstream comedy, but I specifically do not like the ensemble cast they have assembled or the director who's making it. I don't believe they are able to make something worth my time or the nostalgia they are blatantly playing on.

It absolutely is relevant to say "I think this will be a bit shit". It's what happens on this forum endlessly. It's all that's happened in the Terminator Genisys thread.

As for it being "solely" a gender swap: if that were the case, then presumably if the cast were male, it would be a direct remake. I mean, maybe it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not. This is one of the worst arguments: that making the lead roles female is some kind of gimmick. Was it a gimmick that they were all men in the first one? No, it was like that because Ray Stantz was a man, and his friends were men, and then they went into business together. Imagine Ray Stantz was a woman, and so were his friends. Would that have been a gimmick? The director has said that when the idea of having the leads as women came up it inspired loads of creativity. Good, right?

I didn't argue it was "solely" a gender swap, or base my argument on gender at all, so I have no idea what you're waffling on about here unless you're talking to someone else.

I mean obviously if you're determined not to like it. If you hated Bridesmaids, and The Heat, and you don't like SNL, or Modern Family, or whatever. If you consider the original to be some kind of holy text. If you seriously think that measuring other comedy against one of the most legendarily talented comic actors in history is the only barometer that matters. Then don't see this film. And also, please, stop going on about how shit it's going to be. The thing is, I bet you do all watch it, just to prove to yourselves how bad it is. Complete unbiased, going in, of course.

Oh, you have switched to talking to everyone. Did you defend the new Terminator movie in this way?

Why don't you talk about all the reasons you'll think it'll be mint and justified and potentially brilliant instead of policing discussion and telling people what they can and can't type about?

The overalls look like Ghostbusters overalls and the proton packs look like Ghostbusters proton packs.

It's all going to be fine if not great.

I'm a fan of the casting and don't forget Paul Feig also made Freaks and Geeks. Freaks and Geeks!