Ghostbusters (2016)

CactuarBill

I'm surprised at myself for being entirely open to the idea of this reboot. It's not like the original will cease to exist (an argument which has always irritated the hell out of me because it's not the point) and this seems different enough to avoid triggering my nostalgia rage.

Melissa McCarthy is a talented actor with a gift for physical comedy. All four women are talented improv comedians. The three that aren't MM are all SNL alumni. I mean, if you just don't like modern American mainstream comedy then you're not going to like a modern American mainstream comedy film.

I do not mind the all-women team (especially if Wiig's in) but holy fuck have any of you seen the synopsis from the Sony leaks a while back? From ancient Sumarian gods and mystical, baby-eating Eastern European warlords to...a dude in an electric chair during a bad storm, wooooo.

Try to imagine a movie so terrible it causes every molecule in your body to explode at the speed of light.

• 4 weeks later...

So they're going to spend 80 minutes standing around the firehouse spouting leaden dialogue at each other and then fight some ghosts for 10 minutes before the credits and a sequelbait teaser that will make people mistakenly think the next one will be better?

• 2 weeks later...

And it now appears that Sony want a 'shared universe' for their Ghostbusters too and the planned two films have now jumped to four.

All female Ghostbuster's first, Tatum/Pratt-led Ghostbuster's next, team-up movie that unites both teams and then a prequel film that will follow none of these guys and none of the original Ghostbuster's either.

What the fuck, Sony.