CactuarBill

Ghostbusters (2016)

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I dunno, if the original creative team have been trying to do a sequel for 27 years with no success, but the studio gives a green light to someone else entirely the minute it's suggested it might launch a shared universe, I don't think that creativity was at the forefront of the studio's mind.

Aykroyd and Ramis had been trying to do Ghostbusters 3 for 27 years. Murray had a feud with Ramis wouldn’t agree to it. He did the videogame but his performance was phoned in. After Ramis died, Ghostbusters 3 was no longer an option, and Murray signed off on a reboot with a new creative team. The studio shopped it around but nobody wanted it. Only Feig would do it, and only as a hard reboot, which the studio wanted to launch a franchise/universe. 

The lack of respect and understanding Feig/Sony had for the IP is staggering. Although Murray is to blame in the sense we could’ve had a third film in the series and he blocked it, at least he was trying to preserve the status of the original. 

Tangentially linked, but I was pleased to see Ocean's 8 has made $120m in the US. Remember, anything over $100m is considered a hit by streaming providers so is automatically rented by them when it becomes available. 

Ok, so it's been grandfathered in by the Soderbergh films, has a male director and 50% male writers (so it's hardly Certain Women) but it's still great to see a film completely female-driven achieve so much.

Oh, and it's number 9 in the top 10 list of earners this year, most importantly beating Peter Rabbit down into the tenth spot :)

If in some alternative reality, this reboot had been better executed and had gone on to be pretty successful, fans could have looked forward to as many sequels as they could have stomached, and probably a few more after that, as that is the entirely predictable MO of the film industry, financially successful films get more of the same, less successful ones don't.

Reading about the development history of the original film, why don't they just do the original idea for it? Can't be any worse than all the other failed versions they didn't want to greenlight these past decades. The only reason that version didn't get made was due to the fact it would have been too expensive to make (and the other half of the comedy duo died), it sounds tailor made for the shit blows up good spectacle nature of blockbuster film making.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

If in some alternative reality, this reboot had been better executed and had gone on to be pretty successful, fans could have looked forward to as many sequels as they could have stomached, and probably a few more after that, as that is the entirely predictable MO of the film industry, financially successful films get more of the same, less successful ones don't.

Reading about the development history of the original film, why don't they just do the original idea for it? Can't be any worse than all the other failed versions they didn't want to greenlight these past decades. The only reason that version didn't get made was due to the fact it would have been too expensive to make (and the other half of the comedy duo died), it sounds tailor made for the shit blows up good spectacle nature of blockbuster film making.

edit: sorry I thought you meant the original idea for GB3.

I haven't read the full script, not sure a genuine copy is even out there, but I read an excerpt of what I believe was the Ghostbusters 3: HellBent or Ghostbusters Go to Hellhattan or whatever posted by Dan. The excerpt was a scene with Ray and the dialogue was spot on and exactly like the character. The reason it didn't get made was because Aykroyd had a bomb with Blues Brothers 2000, Ramis had a bomb with Year Zero, and Murray had a veto on any sequel. He said the Hellhattan idea was too crazy. IIRC the videogame plot incorporates some elements of it, and ties together the stories of the first two GB films in a coherent way with some satisfying lore behind it all. They then drafted a version of the script with Murray as a ghost, as he publicly stated that was the only way he would do it, and he reportedly shredded the script before reading it as "nobody wants to see old Ghosbusters".

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Do you have a link to the original idea? sounds interesting!

It's mentioned in the wikipedia article for the film, it was way different than the version they eventually went with so wouldn't be what people who wanted more of the same would like either:

The movie's concept was inspired by Dan Aykroyd's fascination with the paranormal. Aykroyd conceived it as a vehicle for himself and his friend and fellow Saturday Night Live alumnus John Belushi.[3] The original story, as written by Aykroyd, was very different from what was eventually filmed. In the original version, a group of "Ghostsmashers" traveled through time, space, and other dimensions combating huge ghosts (of which the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man was one of many). They wore SWAT-like outfits and used wands instead of proton packs to fight the ghosts. (Original storyboards show them wearing riotsquad-type helmets with movable transparent visors.)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Everyone knows that the proper Ghosbusters 3 was the game from 2009. 

And what's crazy about that is that for a Sony IP, it's currently playable on Xbox One and not PS4.

They could easily release a HD-remastered version or remake, or maybe even cut together some sort of animated movie from the dialogue.

I realise I've probably said this every 20 pages or so in this thread.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Everyone knows that the proper Ghosbusters 3 was the game from 2009. 

I love this game. I also really enjoyed the movie reboot. I think the effects were very in-keeping with the original and Kate M was hilarious throughout. But hey, opinions, eh?

• Upvote 2

I thought this guy's analysis was really good, possibly better than RLM Mikes overall.

He also goes into how you could just edit the (terrible) material there and make it funnier, without changing anything else.

He does a good job of laying out how it is a wildly different kind of comedy on display.