February Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

Yeah, Dominik, I'll definitely take one. You happy to pop it in the post for me?

PM me with your reasonable demands for cash :)

I think it's going for 4 quid Robbo...and yes I'll pop it in the post no problem. PM me your address...I'll sort it and let you know the price once I've picked it up.

And btw...it's Dai not Dominik ;)

Great to have you back Daimond, and I mean that...we missed you man.

Wow...thanks Das...that means a lot. Seriously. Real recognise real eh? :)

You must've read my mind when you posted that mix earlier in the thread...I was diggin' through some old CD's earlier this week and found some of your mixes, and the classic Rllmuk mix by you and esar...genuinely dope! Anyway, I planned to ask for more...have d/l'd and will listen soon as...

Comments on IQ and The OSB'z to come...

So...this R&B/soul/singing in Hip Hop beef...

Firstly, wtf does this ;) actually mean? I'll be honest, I've never been sure! Funny to think it sparked off such rage in a soulful brotha...

To give my tuppence worth....I have no problem with singing in Hip Hop...if it's done well and does have soul, which is obviously a matter of personal opinion. I, like Cal admitted, used to be someone who didn't appreciate this whatsoever...it was almost a sign of a weak, commercial, 'aiming for the pop charts' direction for a tune. As I've got older though, I've come to appreciate that there is some genuine soul out there, and not just in artists from previous decades...(though I've rated D'Angelo right from when Brown Sugar came out...that track was dope)...and that good Hip Hop can obviously go hand in hand with this. Saying that, there's still a hell of a lot of shite out there calling itself R&B or soul! A hell of a lot!

I did think you were getting on your high horse a bit Cal, with a few posts....it's all down to personal preference, and Das' on point comment about you being dismissive of all UK made Hip Hop (as it seems) has not received an answer...pot-kettle-black situation?

Anyway, I've rambled (preached?!) on far too much....time for MOTD B)

So...this R&B/soul/singing in Hip Hop beef...

Firstly, wtf does this ;) actually mean? I'll be honest, I've never been sure! Funny to think it sparked off such rage in a soulful brotha...

To give my tuppence worth....I have no problem with singing in Hip Hop...if it's done well and does have soul, which is obviously a matter of personal opinion. I, like Cal admitted, used to be someone who didn't appreciate this whatsoever...it was almost a sign of a weak, commercial, 'aiming for the pop charts' direction for a tune. As I've got older though, I've come to appreciate that there is some genuine soul out there, and not just in artists from previous decades...(though I've rated D'Angelo right from when Brown Sugar came out...that track was dope)...and that good Hip Hop can obviously go hand in hand with this. Saying that, there's still a hell of a lot of shite out there calling itself R&B or soul! A hell of a lot!

I did think you were getting on your high horse a bit Cal, with a few posts....it's all down to personal preference, and Das' on point comment about you being dismissive of all UK made Hip Hop (as it seems) has not received an answer...pot-kettle-black situation?

Anyway, I've rambled (preached?!) on far too much....time for MOTD B)

He's stubborn, he's welsh, but he does talk sense! Good to have ya back on these threads man! :)

I'll take a copy of the Beans EP too if you don't mind sorting it out Mr D. Always keen to support the homegrown ish.

*edit*

Just thought some of you might like to know that I found a totally dope VST plugin for generating vinyl noise after my request yesterday:

iZotope Vinyl

Fuck man, I can't believe I didn't remember that. I actually bought Izotope's Trash a couple of years ago I abused my dodgy copy so much when I was making D&B.

Yeah man, sort me out a copy too Dai, reckon I can paypal the money or something?

I love your posts dude, good to have someone that can match up to the size of Cal's outbursts!

On the Rllmuk mix topic, I have found Volume 2!!! It was done ages ago, me and esar hooked up and did it, back to back style. I may have uploaded it a while back, but for anyone who missed it I can up it again if needs be?

In other news...

The OSB's (and my fine self) are playing Beer n Rap in Brighton on the 24th February, along with Kashmere, Conflix, Sonny Jim and the usual Brighton lot...should be dope if anyone is round that way.

Yeah man, sort me out a copy too Dai, reckon I can paypal the money or something?

I hope he sorts it out for all of ya. Wicked EP. He can be a little sloooooow on these things though. I'll keep reminding him! ;)

On the Rllmuk mix topic, I have found Volume 2!!! It was done ages ago, me and esar hooked up and did it, back to back style. I may have uploaded it a while back, but for anyone who missed it I can up it again if needs be?

Yes, I want some of that shit and have asked many times!

In other news...

The OSB's (and my fine self) are playing Beer n Rap in Brighton on the 24th February, along with Kashmere, Conflix, Sonny Jim and the usual Brighton lot...should be dope if anyone is round that way.

I won't be around but enjoy and good luck. OSB and yourself produce some damn nice music.

Did you miss their 2-Unlimited cover version a few pages back?

I'm listening now and its fucking slooooooowed down 2-Unlimited to the max! Well funny! :)

It ain't my sort of shit but its definitely hitting the right buttons, a bit like Jedi Mind Tricks does with me!

got a quick question - foreign beggars, don't really know much about them :S heard a few tracks here and there, do they have an album worth buying? they're playing near me soon..

Definitely worth going to see live, loads of energy. I'm not a huge fan, but both the albums are worth checking out, some big names on the latest one too. (Wildchild from Lootpack, Oh No, Vadim)

You can get them here dude http://www.suspect-packages.com/artists/a-...IGN_BEGGARS.php

got a quick question - foreign beggars, don't really know much about them :S heard a few tracks here and there, do they have an album worth buying? they're playing near me soon..

Their first album "Asylum Speakers" is ace, well worth picking up. I prefer it to their more recent stuff, but its all good.

I'll take a copy of the Beans EP too if you don't mind sorting it out Mr D. Always keen to support the homegrown ish.

Nice one Blunted...Beans will appreciate the support. PM me your address.

There's a fair few peeps in Bristol who've been doing good stuff over the past few years...Rola (Ex-Numskulls), Fat Club, Lowercase, the Hairy Parents lot (All Creatures/Ian Beef), Sober & Dribbla...to name a few. I'll up some tracks sometime.

I love your posts dude, good to have someone that can match up to the size of Cal's outbursts!

In other news...

Will do Das...again, nice one. Paypal shouldn't be a problem. How can I purchase a copy of The OSB's? Is that online shop you posted a while back still selling them?

Ha! I do rabbit on a bit sometimes ;)

Yes please!! I must have missed that...listened to your new mix earlier, 'tis dope.

Fine looking line up there, sounds like my kinda gig...but I can't make it unfortunately. I'm yet to see Kashmere live but want to...I keep missing him whenever he playes Bristol! I've seen Sonny Jim tear it up at an open mic night down here...have you heard his EP?

I hope he sorts it out for all of ya. Wicked EP. He can be a little sloooooow on these things though. I'll keep reminding him! <_<

True dat...but I'll get on the case for this, been meaning to hook up with Beans anyway...providing he's not off touring the world or something!

I've got a quick question for the beat makers, i'm looking to step up my bedroom dj/studio game but i'm unsure of exactly what I need.

At the moment i'm just running Ableton Live through a Mac G4 Powerbook and i'm looking to add to that with an MPC 2000xl. Is that the best MPC to get do you think?

Also, i'm currently using Audacity as my main wave editing software but its a bit limited so I was wondering if people had any suggestions on better wave editing software for the Mac?

Finally, soundcards. I'm looking to get an external soundcard that I can use to run my decks/Serato through but I haven't a clue about whats good or shit. I'm obviously looking to get the best one I can for the least amount of money so any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers :lol:

I've got a quick question for the beat makers, i'm looking to step up my bedroom dj/studio game but i'm unsure of exactly what I need.

At the moment i'm just running Ableton Live through a Mac G4 Powerbook and i'm looking to add to that with an MPC 2000xl. Is that the best MPC to get do you think?

Also, i'm currently using Audacity as my main wave editing software but its a bit limited so I was wondering if people had any suggestions on better wave editing software for the Mac?

Finally, soundcards. I'm looking to get an external soundcard that I can use to run my decks/Serato through but I haven't a clue about whats good or shit. I'm obviously looking to get the best one I can for the least amount of money so any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers :lol:

MPC1000

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile

Safe bets...IQ uses MPC1000 and loves it, and I've got a few mates with that sound card and they tell me it's the nuts.

Asylum Speakers is mine, as is DJ IQ's album!

I rate the Beggars highly myself...both live and on wax. Both their albums and the 'mixtape' Bukkake Ski Trip are worth a listen IMO. Orifice is one hell of a quickfire spitter (but still understandable), Dag Nabbit's beats are often great and the other MC, Metropolis, along with regular guests like Dr Syntax keep the mix interesting.

I've listened Count Bass D's 'Begborrowsteel' today...and yesterday...and the day before. Superb! I can't believe I've slept on him before...well, by that I mean I haven't actually bought, or even heard any of his albums. That track Internationally Known off his latest album has been been stuck on permanent rotation in my head for about 3 months...

There's a fair few peeps in Bristol who've been doing good stuff over the past few years...Rola (Ex-Numskulls), Fat Club, Lowercase, the Hairy Parents lot (All Creatures/Ian Beef), Sober & Dribbla...to name a few. I'll up some tracks sometime.

Got their Worth The Weight album a couple of years back and there are some pretty "heavy" (sorry) tracks on it :o

MPC1000

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile

Safe bets...IQ uses MPC1000 and loves it, and I've got a few mates with that sound card and they tell me it's the nuts.

Can't disagree with Das. Bias Peak is the audio editor to use on the Mac. I'm sure you will be able to aquire it somehow.

Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One & Rakim - Classic (produced by DJ Premier)

The R rapping about God wearing Air Force 1's.

I like that. Easy on the ear Hip Hop legends... :o

Got their Worth The Weight album a couple of years back and there are some pretty "heavy" (sorry) tracks on it ;)

It's got to be said when describing them :P

They are currently recording their last album as Fat Club...though that's been said before. The last one (after Worth The Weight) was a two-CD split solo album.

That track Internationally Known off his latest album has been been stuck on permanent rotation in my head for about 3 months...

Check the album, man. Going back to the singing in hip-hop thing ( :o ) the latest Count Bass album has a great example of it done well...

Half The Fun - Count Bass D feat. Van Hunt

It was my on-and-off favourite song from last year. If it ain't grabbing you instantly, keep listening. Bit of a grower.