So, the Xbox 720...

squirtle

So, thinking that the 360 has now been out for nearly fifteen months and it will be seventeen by time the PS3 is out over here, what do you think MS long term strategy is?

Me? I reckon we'll see the Xbox 720 at Christmas 2009.

Why?

Well, to me, it makes some kind of crazy sense for them to accelerate the whole console race and force their main rivals, at the moment Sony, into either bankrupting themselves to stay in the race or just dropping out altogether.

Looking at it now, if they released the 720 four years after the 360, they would put themselves back into the situation of having the most powerful console on the market and Sony wouldn't be able to do anything about it at that time. The PS3 would only have been out for 3 years, but already, MS would be able to say it's obsolete tech. The 720 would, of course, offer full BC with all 360 titles, and MS could then really turn the screw on Sony.

Nintendo, menwhile, will have the Wii 2 out and be doing its own thing.

I'm not posting this because I want this to happen. I can just see it as something that MS very well may do to try and force Sony into an untenable situation.

(I was gonna do a poll, but it confused me. It really did. So I deleted the thread with the supposed poll in it, only for someone else to delete the other thread. Life is hard.)

My guess is that it'll be called Xbox π (because 3.14 > 3 and will be nicknamed the 'Piebox') and it'll probably go head to head against Wi∞ (Wiinfinity).

Sony will have dropped the Playstation hoping the more matture LifeLink system will take its place as the most popular media centre in family homes.

All this in a home near you in 2010.

Me? I reckon we'll see the Xbox 720 at Christmas 2009.

I bloody hope not. If the second Xbox console I buy is killed-off before its time, Microsoft can forget about me ever buying another one.

I can't imagine such a scenario going down too well with anyone, for that matter. Your prediction is unlikely.

I bloody hope not. If the second Xbox console I buy is killed-off before its time, Microsoft can forget about me ever buying another one.

I can't imagine such a scenario going down too well with anyone, for that matter. Your prediction is unlikely.

In many respects gamers have been paying for Xbox twice over: too soon an end to the life of Xbox and too early a build for the 360. They FUCKING LOVE US.

My view is the complete opposite of that, obviously I want any console I buy to be supported for a few years, but likewise I enjoy the refinements a new machine brings. The graphical and online improvements the 360 made over the original Xbox more than justify them bringing it out when they did in my opinion. Games like TDU more than justify the 'need' to keep things advancing at a good pace, perhaps it's because my gaming background is more PC based where it's expected you need to upgrade your machine every couple of years (where the price of one component can easily be more than a a complete console) that it doesn't bother me.

My view is the complete opposite of that, obviously I want any console I buy to be supported for a few years, but likewise I enjoy the refinements a new machine brings. The graphical and online improvements the 360 made over the original Xbox more than justify them bringing it out when they did in my opinion.

I agree.

The graphical and online improvements the 360 made over the original Xbox more than justify them bringing it out when they did in my opinion. Games like TDU more than justify the 'need' to keep things advancing at a good pace

Why? Couldn't it be done on the first Xbox? It's on the PS2, for pity's sake!

Well, if you're happy to upgrade frequently, so be it, but you must have a lot of disposable income!

Well, if you're happy to upgrade frequently, so be it, but you must have a lot of disposable income!

Yes, because that's an easy way to recoup dev-costs.

sell to the largest userbase available

but last gen so PS2/PSP

keep next-gen exclusivity

everyone's happy

when's the PS3 version due? ;)

If they bring it out too early it will put off a lot of people for whom a new console is a significant investment - I wouldn't like to pay hundreds of pounds for a console that I think will only last a few years.

Also, if they bring out a new console just as the PS3 starts to hit its stride, it will put them at a big disadvantage in terms of developer support and simply making the console seem more attractive than the PS3 to consumers. They need to wait until people are bored of the current gen but still bring it out ahead of the PS3's supposed ten year cycle.

The only thing I can think of that would make them want to force it out early is them wanting to wow everyone with DX10.

No online trading, no user created races, no avatar customisation and no motorcycles. So yes it's on the PS2 but it's a lot more limited, which backs up the point Pinkoboe was making.

With the Xbox it was a good idea to rush it to market to be ahead of Sony and having a lead and get to a point where they are comfortable. To me I can't see a short life cycle being as beneficial to Microsoft as it was last generation. This could change if the Playstation 3 starts to over take and go on to dominance. In that instance Microsoft would want / need to get ahead of the tech of the PS3 with the nextbox.

I think Squirtle may be right. Another short cycle for MS is quite doable. Especially if the 720 is essentially the same architecture but more powerful. All games will be fully compatible and there would be no learning curve for developers. It's not like MS are operating as proper business anyway yet - they are just funding the Xbox project to the tune of $1billion per year.

A short cycle would knacker the PS3 though. Especially as they are a year late relative to the 360.

A short cycle would knacker the PS3 though. Especially as they are a year late relative to the 360.

Yeah, but this is obviously Sony's response to MS's strategy . They can't afford a short cycle, so they're putting as much tech in the PS3 as they can, and starting it as late as possible. By the time PS3 sees it's first Christmas, the 360's going to be 2 years old.

If MS are looking at a 4-year rerun, PS3's going to be cheap(er), powerful enough to compete and the 720 won't offer a significant step up - or at least, that's Sony's gamble. That's the promise of that 'infinite potential' gubbins that got everyone worked up in Edge the the other month. Make it powerful enough now, and you might not outright whip the 360 into submission straight out the gate, but you'll probably be strong enough to maintain a hold and see off the 720.

TDU is the sort of game that benefits from having powerful hardware running it, Dead Rising, Oblivion, Gears are other examples. Wario Ware in HD with 5.1 sound wouldn't be even slightly better than the current Wii version, the aforementioned games (amongst many others) would. Not to mention the excellent friend system and everything else the 360 brings with it.

As for the comment about disposable income, £280 for a machine that will last 4-5 years (three red lights permitting) and provide thousands of hours enjoyment is pretty good value in my book. If the 360 was a step back from the Xbox, I could see your point but what we've got is a machine that is nearly better in every way.

Yeah, but this is obviously Sony's response to MS's strategy . They can't afford a short cycle, so they're putting as much tech in the PS3 as they can, and starting it as late as possible. By the time PS3 sees it's first Christmas, the 360's going to be 2 years old.

If MS are looking at a 4-year rerun, PS3's going to be cheap(er), powerful enough to compete and the 720 won't offer a significant step up - or at least, that's Sony's gamble. That's the promise of that 'infinite potential' gubbins that got everyone worked up in Edge the the other month. Make it powerful enough now, and you might not outright whip the 360 into submission straight out the gate, but you'll probably be strong enough to maintain a hold and see off the 720.

Well yes. It's one big poker game. MS have the advantage of (seemingly) not being worried about actually earning any money from this.

As for the comment about disposable income, £280 for a machine that will last 4-5 years (three red lights permitting) and provide thousands of hours enjoyment is pretty good value in my book.

I won't argue the worth of it, but all I'm saying is you're getting half as much for your money as you would get if the console had a lifecycle that was twice as long. £280 every 4 years, or £280 every 8 years... is a bit of (needless, by your own admission) spit and polish really worth that?